What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Convert any text to epub for Apples iBooks app!

Ghuda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when using these programs, does it give the book feel? ie page turning, contents, bookmarking etc...

ncbrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fixing the ebook cover

I was a little dissapointed when I didnt find Dan Browns The Lost Symbol in the iBook Store, I have it in pdf format on my laptop and in my quest to get it over to my iPad I found Calibre!

Calibre ebook converter is a free program for both Windows and Mac OS X and can be be downloaded for free from Calibre ebook.com. It converted The Lost Symbol in a lttle over 3 minutes. When the conversion was done I simply clicked Add to Library in iTunes 9.1 and there it was in my Books. The only catch seems to be that the cover gets a smaller format on your bookshelf on the iPad, but hey, I can live with that!

screenshot20100407at335.png

photohy.jpg

Happy reading!

Click on "Edit Meta information" and you can change the cover to any jpg you have.:)

NCBrew

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when using these programs, does it give the book feel? ie page turning, contents, bookmarking etc...
These programs are used to create an ebook in epub format. Any book loaded loaded into iBooks will have features you mention since they are apart of iBooks (not the book). The only exception that I know of is the table of contents. The TOC must be set up in the book. Sigil can so this. Calibre will create a TOC if it was in the original file.

In a nutshell, if you create your epub ebook properly you won't be able to tell it from a store bought book.

OP
Max

Max

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.maxtatau.com
Max, Sigil isn't a converter. It's an editor/creator.

I only use it when I know I am going to end up reading the book a few times and I want it to look its best. I basically copy the text from the PDF, txt file, html, etc. into Sigil and then I edit it.

I edited The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings with Sigil because I wanted to insert the Alan Lee's artwork (like I have in my hardcover editions). Below is a sample of the artwork. BTW, it looks great on the iPad's screen :).
lotr.png

ha ha...Ill go put on the idiot hat right now! Awesome! :)

supernix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.cutabovehost.com
I don't understand the need for Calibre as I am able to read the PDF files just fine so I don't really see the point in a conversion at all. Maybe ya'll can help me understand the point in it.

Reaction score
Converting pdf to epub

Hello all: I am looking for opinions of people who have no vested interest in the answers they will give me...lol. I have a book that is rich in images, tables and graphics. I am being told that the converters out there aren't really equipped to handle that very well. We are talking 70% text, 30% images (not simple photographic images but graphs etc.). I would appreciate some opinions in lay terms for why you believe the content would or wouldn't convert well in one of these software programs to be uploaded to Apple as an Ebook. Thanks much.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Welcome p.t.o.s. Converting graphically heavy and formatting rich PDFs usually doesn't give good results. Just drag the PDF directly into iBooks or better yet, download GoodReader.

Reaction score
This is actually a book that I want to upload to Apples Ebook store. I am being told that I have to pay for a professional conversion (unless I were to do it myself) to get my PDF to be compatible for sale on Apple...can you give me some feedback on that scenario? Thanks so much

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is actually a book that I want to upload to Apples Ebook store. I am being told that I have to pay for a professional conversion (unless I were to do it myself) to get my PDF to be compatible for sale on Apple...can you give me some feedback on that scenario? Thanks so much

Made book in ePub is not so simple , i have format (for my self & a friend) many ebook i found over the web, some are in TXT in PDF with picture or without, you will got problem in TOC and Chapter … took time and not so simple need to have knowledge in HTML coding … but can be done , is not only convert a file from the format to an other …. due to the fact software for create ebook ,in e-Pub doesn’t exist really only some can do a part of the job but a big part should be done by hand ..

Hope that help you in your project

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Well then I assume you're the author? In that case you probably have access to the original format, right? Word, Pages, InDesign?

That is what you should be using to convert to ebook format.

Reaction score
Yes we do have the copyright on these books...I'm not the author but we own them. So if in fact we have these books formatted in something other than PDF...this stuff is greek to me....I would use that to convert. I appreciate all of you sharing your knowledge with me, I'm trying to figure out the best way to get these up to the Apple store. Unfortunately these books are heavy in tables, graphs, etc. About 70% text, 30% graphics. I will look into the original formatting and see what that is. Thank you.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes we do have the copyright on these books...I'm not the author but we own them. So if in fact we have these books formatted in something other than PDF...this stuff is greek to me....I would use that to convert. I appreciate all of you sharing your knowledge with me, I'm trying to figure out the best way to get these up to the Apple store. Unfortunately these books are heavy in tables, graphs, etc. About 70% text, 30% graphics. I will look into the original formatting and see what that is. Thank you.

Hi , i understand you are trying to save some cost … but is really not simple to convert your file need a certain knowledge , the fact have picture and text is not so important … is just one element have to be managed … as i say i have convert many i know how to do , but i do that only for my personal use and share some book with friend so i can’t do it for you ..

If you want to try of course you can , but trust me is really time consuming when you don’t have coding knowledge … especially because all software available yet are not so accurate and many things should be made by hand

Hope that help

Most reactions