What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Continue playing when "minimized"

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Some apps can go on playing music when you "minimize" them, or even when you turn off iPad (e.g. TuneIn Radio). Some of them don't (i.e. YouTube). Is this dependent on how the application is written, or are there some settings/tweaks with which you can force an app to go on playing music even if they're not in the foreground?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mostly, it is a function of how the app is written - and also, it depends on the permissions provided by Apple. There are a lot of apps that will let you re-start them after you've closed them out or gone to another app.

I was going to say that you can re-activate the [iPhone-only] app (after closing it) by doing the four-finger swipe up to reveal the multi-tasking bar (double-clicking the Home button does the same thing), scrolling to the right to reveal the player buttons from the left and pressing the Play button. Except, you can't. The YouTube icon isn't even showing as the app to play.

So, then I tried it with the YouTube player app Jasmine and the process I described works fine - the app continues to play after I press the Play button (and it was showing as the last music app available).

This was all on my Mini, by the way - which is running iOS 6.0.

So, I'm going to go with the statement that it's the developer's and Apple decision as to how the app behaves. If you can't get the app to start playing the music by doing the procedure I described in paragraph two, then it's the way the app was designed.

Hope some of this helped.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts