What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

content blocker

I

islandman

Last edited by a moderator:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Content blocking requires a fair amount of processing power to work without slowing down the browsing experience. To that point Apple has required all content blocking apps were required to be 64 apps. Only the newer iPads can handle 64 bit apps.

A 64 bit app, in theory, is twice as fast at some memory management and computational tasks than a 32 bit app, because it takes advantage of the more powerful 64 bit mode in the iPad's chip set. In practice it's less than that, but still significant for some types of tasks.

Basically, Apple felt that it was better to leave a feature out than provide what they thought would be a bad experience on older iPads.

OP
I

islandman

Content blocking requires a fair amount of processing power to work without slowing down the browsing experience. To that point Apple has required all content blocking apps were required to be 64 apps. Only the newer iPads can handle 64 bit apps.

A 64 bit app, in theory, is twice as fast at some memory management and computational tasks than a 32 bit app, because it takes advantage of the more powerful 64 bit mode in the iPad's chip set. In practice it's less than that, but still significant for some types of tasks.

Basically, Apple felt that it was better to leave a feature out than provide what they thought would be a bad experience on older iPads.
I assume my ipad is 32 bit, but don't seem able to confirm this, without looking for the box it came in. However, there is a great deal being written on the internet about programs such as Purify and Crystal that do a great job of blocking,but no-where have I read 64but only.Surely there are some that can be used on 32 bit machines

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I assume my ipad is 32 bit, but don't seem able to confirm this, without looking for the box it came in. However, there is a great deal being written on the internet about programs such as Purify and Crystal that do a great job of blocking,but no-where have I read 64but only.Surely there are some that can be used on 32 bit machines
I've been following a popular thread on another website and it appears that the content blocking capability in iOS 9 does require a 64-bit system. There is, however, an stand alone browser called Adblock Browser in the App Store that blocks ads and should work on 32-bit systems.

OP
I

islandman

I've been following a popular thread on another website and it appears that the content blocking capability in iOS 9 does require a 64-bit system. There is, however, an stand alone browser called Adblock Browser in the App Store that blocks ads and should work on 32-bit systems.

Thanks, yes I saw that and did wonder about it.I will try it I think and let you know.

Well I have it and during the day, will give it a whirl. Clearly it works differently but like all things, it's a case of getting your head round it. I tend to use my ipad like my laptop and go through a daily ritual of looking at same sites. In safari, I have saved my favs and grouped them in folders on desktop, ie TV, photography, newpapers, shops etc so when I click on an icon, I see all similar sites. I will have to see if it's possible to use that same formula. I note at the bottom of the page is a star, when clicked, it appears to save that site as a number in the rt corner on a page, increases. That tells me it is saved, but there is more exploring to do, but have to do something in garden first.

Last edited by a moderator:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPad Air and newer and the iPad Mini 2 and newer have 64 bit processors.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, yes I saw that and did wonder about it.I will try it I think and let you know.
If you do try it you might post a mini review, if you have time, as I think the information would be beneficial for the folks with 32-bit devices. I tried it just out of curiosity last week and it worked rather well.

OP
I

islandman

I am trying to do umpteen jobs prior to a house move, what had started as a request for an app to stop ads, is now getting to the stage where I am thinking, stop and settle for my recognised and familiar way of surfing and don't bother about the ads. We're it not have been for this recent upgrade, I wouldn't be going along this route.

n1smo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are on a 32-bit machine, try Weblock. It block ads not just in Safari but in most apps also. So like the Apple News app, when you click on the link and it uses the internal browser, you'll get ton of ads, not so with Weblock installed. I've been running Weblock for years, the only disadvantage is that it only works on wifi which is ok for most as they don't have the 3G/4G iPad anyway. I have a 4g iPad Air and was running Crystal alone until all the ads were popping up in the News app, reinstalled my trusty Weblock and no more ads. Currently running both on the Air and also running Weblock on my wife's iPad 2.

Sent from my iPad using Crapatalk

OP
I

islandman

If you are on a 32-bit machine, try Weblock. It block ads not just in Safari but in most apps also. So like the Apple News app, when you click on the link and it uses the internal browser, you'll get ton of ads, not so with Weblock installed. I've been running Weblock for years, the only disadvantage is that it only works on wifi which is ok for most as they don't have the 3G/4G iPad anyway. I have a 4g iPad Air and was running Crystal alone until all the ads were popping up in the News app, reinstalled my trusty Weblock and no more ads. Currently running both on the Air and also running Weblock on my wife's iPad 2.

Sent from my iPad using Crapatalk
Well thanks for that. I certainly will be trying that one out as soon as I can save myself five minutes. I keep exploring the adblock browser and it seems to be ok and may well be perfect, but it means thinking approach differently, if your suggestion allows me to use my preferred method of surfing, then so much the better. will report back.

PS, how interesting was that. Just entered name in app store and read comments. They range from excellent to problems using this in ios 9. Take a look and see what you make of it please.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Yes. This and a few other content blocker's predate iOS 9. They use a different method that re-routes ad traffic using proxies. It's not as fast or as flexible as the new ad blocking feature, but they work on older 32 bit iPads.

They are also not as private, since they need external servers to work. The new feature does everything on the iPad itself (which is why it needs a newer iPad).

Most reactions

Latest posts