What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Contacts app with good multilingual support

kylera

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a fair number of American and Korean people in my contacts, but the stock Contacts app sucks with displaying them. On my Android phone, I have it set so that contacts are sorted by last name, but those with English names appear as first name, last name while those with Korean names appear as the opposite. iOS's stock contacts app by default forces me to show ALL contacts by last/first or first/last regardless of language. Is there a contact management app that does the same for the iPad? Syncing with Google is an additional plus. Thanks in advance!

suyn.min

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am in a situation where most of my contacts are Korean and naturally, their names begin with their last names first. After college I managed to compile sizable number of American contacts too now part of my contact list will appear as first/last and the other part as last/first. I would also rather stick to a single sorting system but do not see a way out (other than manually switching the first/last names of either my Korean contacts or my American contacts which would take an immense amount of time). I think this issue is very little known/discussed.

RodC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are welcome, happy to be of help. I just checked and it seems Chinese names (Hong Kong, Mainland China, Taiwan officially also come last name first) - what a headspinner! :eek:

SWalkerTTU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
RodC said:
You are welcome, happy to be of help. I just checked and it seems Chinese names (Hong Kong, Mainland China, Taiwan officially also come last name first) - what a headspinner! :eek:

Family names also come first in Japan and Hungary. (Huh? Didn't expect that.)

Most reactions