What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Contact Information Disappears

OP
E

Ebony

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can see the description in twerppoet's post.
Even if I can see my Contacts on my desktop iCloud.com ,how does that help get the info to my iPad. Remember that my iPad contacts show all the names of the contacts but no phone numbers,addresses emails etc.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Your icloud.com site is automatic when you get an iCloud account. Just go to icloud.com in a browser, preferably a desktop computer's browser. However, if you want to use Safari on the iPad I gave a brief description of how, and a screen shot, in my previous post.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Even if I can see my Contacts on my desktop iCloud.com ,how does that help get the info to my iPad. Remember that my iPad contacts show all the names of the contacts but no phone numbers,addresses emails etc.

If the information is in icloud.com, and correct, it should sync back to the iPad. Or you can export it from there and re-import it to the iPad. If it is not correct and complete at icloud.com, then it won't help at all.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I went to iCloud and turned off my contacts setting. Went back to contacts opened them. Went back to my contacts setting and turned them back on. Went to my contacts. nothing happened.

Did the contacts go away when you opened the Contacts app between turning it off and on in Settings?

OP
E

Ebony

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I transfer my contact info from my desktop iCloud.com to my contacts in my iPad?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have not doen so, open a few contacts in icloud.com to make sure the info is really there.

Exporting contacts from icloud.com and manually adding them to the iPad:

1) Open Contacts in iCloud on a desktop computer.
2) Make sure you have All Contacts selected in the left column
3) Click on the gear icon (bottom of left column) and choose Select All
4) Click on the gear icon again and select Export VCard
5) Email the file that was downloaded yourself on the iPad.
6) In Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Make sure your default contacts are iCloud. If there is no default to set, don't worry about it. It just means that iCloud is the only database.
7) In Mail, tap on the attachment and choose Add All nnn Contacts. If you get the option choose to Merge teh contacts.

This may result in duplicate contacts.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You're trying to do this on the iPad?

I haven't worked out a workflow for doing this through the iPad, which is why I specified a computer.

But, if I were going to try it I'd use an app I already owned; perhaps DropBox or GoodReader. Once the file is there you should be able to use the share/action icon (box with up arrow) to email the file after you've selected it in that app. Even that might not be necessary. You might be able to open it directly in Contacts.

I'm busy now, but if you haven't found out for yourself by tomarrow I'll see if I can figure out a workaround for an iPad only method.

OP
E

Ebony

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're trying to do this on the iPad?

I haven't worked out a workflow for doing this through the iPad, which is why I specified a computer.

But, if I were going to try it I'd use an app I already owned; perhaps DropBox or GoodReader. Once the file is there you should be able to use the share/action icon (box with up arrow) to email the file after you've selected it in that app. Even that might not be necessary. You might be able to open it directly in Contacts.

I'm busy now, but if you haven't found out for yourself by tomarrow I'll see if I can figure out a workaround for an iPad only method.
This is strange. I decided to just add by filling each one in. I filled in the first and suddenly all the rest appeared. Magic!! Anyways thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Most reactions

Latest posts