What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

contact auto-suggestions in mail

nic55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wonder if any one can help me - when i start to type an email address into Mail, the software throws up suggestions. The list of suggestions now holds some obsolete addresses or addresses i don't want to accidentally send messages to. I can't figure out how to remove them from the suggestions list - they aren't addresses in my contacts list, but will have come from emails received or sent at some point or other.

mlaurencg4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello and Welcome to the Forum.

My first thought is that those addresses are somewhere in your Contacts app. I've confirmed this in the past by finding and deleting a contact from Contacts - and "voila" that contact is no longer appearing as a suggestion when composing a new message.

Let us know if you find the errant contact.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if any one can help me - when i start to type an email address into Mail, the software throws up suggestions. The list of suggestions now holds some obsolete addresses or addresses i don't want to accidentally send messages to. I can't figure out how to remove them from the suggestions list - they aren't addresses in my contacts list, but will have come from emails received or sent at some point or other.

Nic55--also, another thing to consider is whether you have multiple email accounts. I have 3 email accounts that have the contact list switched to "on." I have at times turned "off" my work email contact, so I can quickly pull up personal email contacts from my yahoo and gmail accounts. So to add to the information that mlaurencg4 gave you, hopefully that will do the trick.

Also, Welcome to the iPadForum! This forum is loaded with invaluable information which contain topics including: General Discussion of the iPad, iPad Operating System, iPad App Store, Accessories, and Ipad for Business and Education.

The iPadForum also includes a Regional Ipad Group for international users across the world. This is a wonderful area to "find" members from your own country. See here: Regional iPad Groups

If you have not already done so, please take a moment to download the iPad Manual User Guide iOS 5. This is extremely helpful if you are new to the iPad world. http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/ipad_user_guide.pdf

Finally, please take the time to read the Forum Rules.
Forum rules - everybody please read!!

Best Wishes and Enjoy!

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Besides getting addresses from your contacts, this list also remember old email addresses you entered manually. There is no way to clear this list. In theory these old emails should disappear eventually, but not knowing how big the cache is that holds them there is no way of telling how long that will take.

As a consolation, if you are careful to choose the address you want each time it slowly works it's way to the top of the list.

Most reactions

Latest posts