Consumers Want iPhone 5, Not iPad Mini, According to Survey

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Aug 9, 2012.

By Maura on Aug 9, 2012 at 4:09 PM
  1. Maura

Expand Collapse
    iPadForums News Team

Jun 7, 2010
    Thanks Received:

Although Apple has yet to officially announce the iPad mini yet (we’ve got to wait until September 12 for that), it’s pretty much a certainty that a smaller version of the iPad will be with us before the end of the year. Some of us think this is a great move by Apple and are already making plans to buy one, but according to a survey reported on by Cult of Mac today, the majority of consumers polled would actually prefer to buy the new iPhone (also to be announced on September 12, we think) than an iPad mini, given the choice. The survey, from, polled 1,873 Americans on the matter, and found that 78% of respondents said that they are more likely to buy the next iPhone rather than the iPad mini. 77% of that 78% already owned an iPhone. When they were asked why they preferred to get a new iPhone rather than the iPad mini, 46% said that the iPad mini was “pointless†whereas 39% said that it was because they would use the iPhone more. Of the minority who said that they would prefer to buy an iPad mini instead of an iPhone, 52% already have an iPad. 69% of those who preferred the iPad mini gave the reason for their choice as being because the next iPhone would not be much different to the current iPhone 4S. 41% of all respondents actually said that Apple should not even be releasing the iPad mini. Very interesting stuff. I have to say that I think the iPad mini will most definitely find its market, especially if it’s competitively priced. We’ll just have to wait and see though!

Source: Nearly 80% Of Americans Would Shun iPad Mini In Favor Of iPhone 5 | Cult of Mac
Sub-Categories: This article has no sub-categories

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Laddie
      I have theiPad 1 but find it too heavy for long sessions reading ebooks and internet articles (which I do a lot). So I purchased a Nexus 7 and found it did a great job overcoming these shortcomings in my iPad. However the Nexus is not as user friendly as the iPad and a max 16 GB and no 3G are other drawbacks. I know there is the cloud and I could set up a hotspot with my iPhone if wifi is not available. However, its the convenience of having these things built in that make the devices so immediately useful.
      So if Apple release an a Nexus 7 sized version of the latest iPad - retina display, 3G and 64GB - I will be one of their first customers. If they don't, I will be happy to keep the Nexus which is an excellent product.
    2. mannyberrios
      I have the iPad 3, and I am very happy with it. I also have the iPhone 4, and if I had to choose. I would take the new iPhone
    3. skimonkey
      This still does not change my mind in wanting an iPad mini. Will look forward to seeing it launched in the Fall.
    4. Kaykaykay
      It seems like a big leap to survey about 1,900 people and then run a headline saying "80 percent of Americans" based on those results, lol.

IMO, the survey is meaningless because there's no pricing or specs, and people are rejecting an abstract idea. As Steve Jobs used to say, most people don't know what they want. I think results would vary if there were an actual device to consider, especially if price points were relatively low. Most people lack the imagination to judge about a device that doesn't exist. Heck, look at how many people dismissed iPad when it was announced, and then had to eat their own words, lol.

Of course, a mini iPad could flop -- just depends on what Apple delivers and at what price point.
    5. HKWrite12
      Thinking about buying them for bros. I think there's a market for parents to purchase for children. I notice lots of Tweens and teens with kindle fire since its only 199
    6. skimonkey
      I'm liking what I hear, HKwrite!! :)
    7. AQ_OC
      Since I'm locked I to a contract until early 2014, I'm more interested in the mini. However, if I were close to the end of my phone contact, i'd be pining for the phone. I'm sure there are lots of folks who are wanting some phone love right now. I'm also sure there will be plenty of folks who will get both once the devices land.
    8. callthedoctor
      Suspect the mini iPad is to compete with other sized tablets...(i.e...7" Nexus, etc)

Wonder how much more expensive it will be...

I have an android phone...contemplating the iPhone vs. the Galaxy3 for my next...seeing a larger screened iPhone would probably seal my decision.

I vote iPhone.
    9. Deepu55555
      I have both iPad 3 and iPhone 4s and the new iPad is amazing. My first choice is iPhone 5 but I need a small iPad as well.