What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Constantly 'ckecking for mail'

r2kays

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

Had 32g wifi version for several weeks. Everything working fine until in the last few days the email app is constantly checking for mail with the wheel spinning away.

It has previously worked fine and I have changed nothing in any of the settings. During this time I have sent a couple of mails. I have received replies which I have read on my lap top but not been received on the pad. Other mail has also been received on the lap top but not the pad.

Any ideas please?

R2kays.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most Forum members suggest that, when the iPad exhibits 'strange' or 'unexpected' behaviour, it's time to perform a complete shutdown rather than simply putting the iPad to sleep.

Press *and hold* the power button and you will be presented with a slider control asking you to confirm whether you want to switch the iPad off. Accept this and you'll get a rotating white 'bezel' appear in the middle of the screen as the iPad shuts down. Wait until the screen has gone completely blank (about 10 seconds) and then press *and hold* the power button. You'll get a white Apple logo in the middle of the screen as the iPad powers up. This takes about 10 seconds. During this time the iPad automatic screen orientation is inactive, so don't panic. A few seconds before the power up is complete the iPad plays a little 'jingle' and then you're back to the Home screen.

It's amazing how many 'problems' this fixes. I recently had a problem in the iPad Mail app too, where the uppermost menu bar was missing in Mail, but no where else. Shutting down and restarting the iPad fixed it.

Several Forum members have suggested it's good practice doing this at least once a week (apparently the Apple web site recommends this too, though I can't attest to this myself). It's certainly the easiest thing to try first of all; let us know how you get on and, if it doesn't work, I'm sure we'll come up with some more suggestions.

Tim
Scotland

OP
R

r2kays

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice one Tim, seems to have the job.

Thank you.

princess.1.dlk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My email won't send all of a sudden and what I send isn't in the outbox or drafts....

:(:confused::confused:
Most Forum members suggest that, when the iPad exhibits 'strange' or 'unexpected' behaviour, it's time to perform a complete shutdown rather than simply putting the iPad to sleep.

Press *and hold* the power button and you will be presented with a slider control asking you to confirm whether you want to switch the iPad off. Accept this and you'll get a rotating white 'bezel' appear in the middle of the screen as the iPad shuts down. Wait until the screen has gone completely blank (about 10 seconds) and then press *and hold* the power button. You'll get a white Apple logo in the middle of the screen as the iPad powers up. This takes about 10 seconds. During this time the iPad automatic screen orientation is inactive, so don't panic. A few seconds before the power up is complete the iPad plays a little 'jingle' and then you're back to the Home screen.

It's amazing how many 'problems' this fixes. I recently had a problem in the iPad Mail app too, where the uppermost menu bar was missing in Mail, but no where else. Shutting down and restarting the iPad fixed it.

Several Forum members have suggested it's good practice doing this at least once a week (apparently the Apple web site recommends this too, though I can't attest to this myself). It's certainly the easiest thing to try first of all; let us know how you get on and, if it doesn't work, I'm sure we'll come up with some more suggestions.

Tim
Scotland

princess.1.dlk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've tried everything u have suggested and still not working! While I'm in my email the bezel at the upper left hand of the screen
next to the 'iPad ' keeps circling as it does when it is 'thinking'

Most reactions