What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Constant Wireless Issues

328iGuy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've also had mixed results in different areas. Personally I am certain its more of a router issue or at least certain routers/security type (WEP,WPA,WPA2) not preferred by the iPad. In my apartment I have a Linksys and never had issues, at work we also use Cisco and in my various cafes they are an assortment of brands and I have never had connection problems...however, my in laws have a d-link router and my iPad consistently loses its network key every 15 minutes or so if constantly online.
I think it has to do with WEP as you say. Apple has issued a warning about it. But I can't replace my router because my provider issued a warning that I don't.

Apple said that there would be a software fix. Where is it?

Why not try changing the security to WPA/WPA2?

I am running WPA2 on my Airport Extreme and have no issues at all with multiple iMacs, multiple iPads as well as laptops and multiple iPod touch devices and iPhones.

Just a thought.

chandar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some of the suggestions given

1. Firmware upto date on my router
2. Distance is less than 10 feet and device is in line of sight - should I go any closer, I can use a wired device!
3. Security is WPA-PSK
4. Turned off all other devices - tested only the ipad - still problem persists
5. Tried with another borrowed router - same problem
6. All other wireless devices - mine and those borrowed for testing - work extremely well!

Problems faced in ipad: slow connections, disruptions in web page loading, signal strength bar showing just a single dot! once an hour password prompt

Still the issues remain. ipad is still officially not sold in India. Cant even seek support. Frustrating!

Thankfully stayed away from iphone - unlike in US the phones were not subsidized by the carrier - iphones cost $800+. Plus the plans cost a bomb!

This time I let my heart rule over my mind for the ipad :mad:!

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've had my pad for nearly two months with heavy family usage and never once has there been a problem with wi-fi.

That said I did check all the local networks to ensure I was using a relatively free channel. There's a good free windows app called inSSIDer which is good for checking this out.

I'm also very lax about security using only Mac filtering on the router.
Yes wep encryption is better but frankly if someone wants to break your connection they can do it.
Best not to have anything you can't bear to lose on your machines in the first place :)

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've also had mixed results in different areas. Personally I am certain its more of a router issue or at least certain routers/security type (WEP,WPA,WPA2) not preferred by the iPad. In my apartment I have a Linksys and never had issues, at work we also use Cisco and in my various cafes they are an assortment of brands and I have never had connection problems...however, my in laws have a d-link router and my iPad consistently loses its network key every 15 minutes or so if constantly online.
I think it has to do with WEP as you say. Apple has issued a warning about it. But I can't replace my router because my provider issued a warning that I don't.

Apple said that there would be a software fix. Where is it?

Why not try changing the security to WPA/WPA2?

I am running WPA2 on my Airport Extreme and have no issues at all with multiple iMacs, multiple iPads as well as laptops and multiple iPod touch devices and iPhones.

Just a thought.
Appreciated suggestion. How would I go about doing that? Would I have to change the key in all my computers too? I don't know much about routers...

But I feel that my router is not the culprit. When the iPad asks for the password, I go to settings, turn wifi off, wait 3seconds, turn it back on, wait for it to find the router and it pops right in as if nothing happened.
If the interruption happened when I write on a site like this one, when I go back, there are weird glitches. One of them is that as I'm finished writing, the keyboard collapsing key will no work, or the keyboard is slow to respond showing typed letters only long after they were punched. All only after an interruption of the router.
This is surely software related.
My three computers work perfectly with this router. Why won't the iPad?
Saying the router is not good is fallacy. The iPad's software is the culprit, surely...

Khannr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had an issue with the wi-fi at work. At first it worked fine but then had trouble connecting the following week and now doesn't connect at all! However I have no problems connecting using 2 different iPads belonging to colleagues. So it can't be an issue with the router.
My iPad is a 32gb wi-fi model while the other 2 are 32gb 3g models but I don't see why that should make a difference.
My iPad has no problems connecting to the wi-fi at home (although it did keep asking for the password for the router for one week)
I've tried everything Apple support have suggested including a factory reset and it's come down to having to return it for a replacement.
I'm picking up the replacement on Monnday so should be able to try the connection on Tuesday. I'll post a message on Tuesday to let you know if the replacement worked.

rickm1350

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1. Firmware upto date on my router
2. Distance is less than 10 feet and device is in line of sight - should I go any closer, I can use a wired device!
3. Security is WPA-PSK
4. Turned off all other devices - tested only the ipad - still problem persists
5. Tried with another borrowed router - same problem
6. All other wireless devices - mine and those borrowed for testing - work extremely well!

Problems faced in ipad: slow connections, disruptions in web page loading, signal strength bar showing just a single dot! once an hour password prompt

Still the issues remain. ipad is still officially not sold in India. Cant even seek support. Frustrating!

Thankfully stayed away from iphone - unlike in US the phones were not subsidized by the carrier - iphones cost $800+. Plus the plans cost a bomb!

This time I let my heart rule over my mind for the ipad :mad:!

Sounds like the WiFi router that you have may not be compatible with the 802.11.x standards of the iPad.

Not sure about India, but I thought I read somewhere that the European channel assignments were different, but I may be wrong about that.

Do you have access to a U.S. model router to try it with?

Bruinboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not Me

Weird, but I've only had mine for a week. Since I purchased mine I have been in Omaha, my home, Denver at my sister's and at a hotel in Salt Lake City. Absolutely no problems with wi-fi for me. No drops at all.

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I say try updating your router firmware as others have suggested. It worked for my parents' wifi issues three days ago (laptop kept dropping signal every couple minutes for the past few weeks, but when wired, they were fine. When I brought my iPad and Touch on vacation to their house, the iPad and Touch never lost signal). Once I updated their router firmware, laptop works fine...and my iPad and Touch are still not dropping signal.

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
@iVan - I use WEP at home and my iPad, iPhone and gen1 and gen2 Touches have no problem with WEP.

Try checking your router settings. Perhaps it's set to refresh the key every 3600 seconds or so. I know WPA2 can be set to do that. WEP might too and perhaps that's why you have to keep typing in your key.

Last edited:

Squirrel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've used my 64 gig iPad of 5 different networks, all with different routers, and router brands, and have never had any disconnect problems.

My grandson just watched a 2 hour movie using Netflix on WiFi on the iPad. It didn't drop out, nor did the movie hesitate at all, during the entire movie.
Im afraid I'll jinx myself by saying this but I have zero problems either. I've got a router that's about 4 years old at home and I have a Mifi as well. Both work fine.

JenR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found a solution for me

Well I was having the same issues, and I discovered that airplane mode was accidentally turned to "on". I am hoping this is the solution and that I don't have anymore issues!

Most reactions

Latest posts