1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Constant Wireless Issues

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by dminches, Jul 5, 2010.

1. dminches

dminches iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am very frustrated by the frequent wireless signal drops I am experiencing. I cannot maintain a constant signal via wireless for more than 15 minures. I do not have the same issues with 3G nor with other computers getting a signal from my access point. I am no more than 15 feet away with a clear line to the access point.

Has anyone figured out any iPad or router tweaks to improve this? I have turned off auto brightness but that didn't help.
  2. chandar

chandar iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am also facing frequent wireless disconnection issues. My Sony Vaio laptop does not have any problems when used in the same place.

A suggestion I read elsewhere is to hold the ipad vertically! (obviously inspired by iphone4 issues!)

Try holding it differently and see if you come up with some improvement!
  3. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I'm having similar issues too. The iPad is asking for my wireless network's password every hour or so and the dang thing has 28 characters. I just copy and paste from the note tablet but it's a hasle I could live without. Sometimes I just turn off wifi and turn it back on and that works but still...
    My service provider prefers that I not change router since it's theirs.

Wasn't a fix on the way from Apple?
  4. dminches

dminches iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am usually not even holding it since I have a nice case which holds the iPad at an angle. There is clearly an issue with the wireless connectivity. Hopefully it will get fixed.
  5. Dr.Gee

Dr.Gee iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    try a router firmware update.Probably not the problem,but i have cleared up device specific problems by doing this.
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  6. dminches

dminches iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That is apple's response and I don't buy it. I have no issues with either my laptop or my wireless music streamer. The issue isn't the router. It is the iPad.
  7. Dr.Gee

Dr.Gee iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    as my edit states,it cleared up a device specific problem.i.e. I had one netbook that kept dropping.The firmware update resolved it. All other devices were connecting fine. Worth trying I guess.
  8. figmo10

figmo10 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Unless I turn off wifi, I can't keep my iPad from connecting with my neighbor's unsecured network. They're about 200 ft. from my door.
  9. Dr.Gee

Dr.Gee iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    doesnt "forget network" in settings resolve this?
  10. figmo10

figmo10 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    No.
  11. omero72

omero72 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    as far as the connection drops are concerned, it really depends on the Wireless Access Point.

And as far as the wireless coverage is concerned, it depends on the Antenna present on the AP.

I have an AP which was designed in 2005 (a ZyXEL G-570S) and it really sucks. But it doesn't solely suck with my iPad, from time to time it sucks also with my IBM R51 and it does have recovery problems when power it down and turn it again. So all in all, it's really the AP which is problematic in this case.

So I have replaced the G-570S with a TP-Link TL-WA601G and all of the problems have gone! Really. TP-link achieves it thanks to their efficient designs but also to their frequently updated firmware. So, Steve Jobs is more or less right when he says "update the firmware"
  12. rickm1350

rickm1350 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've used my 64 gig iPad of 5 different networks, all with different routers, and router brands, and have never had any disconnect problems.

My grandson just watched a 2 hour movie using Netflix on WiFi on the iPad. It didn't drop out, nor did the movie hesitate at all, during the entire movie.
  13. CaptKirk

CaptKirk iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I use the Sprint Overdrive MiFi and never experienced this problem? Just got back from a long weekend in Gold Beach Oregon and we used the Overdrive pretty much none stop for 5 days.
  14. lumberjak

lumberjak iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've also had mixed results in different areas. Personally I am certain its more of a router issue or at least certain routers/security type (WEP,WPA,WPA2) not preferred by the iPad. In my apartment I have a Linksys and never had issues, at work we also use Cisco and in my various cafes they are an assortment of brands and I have never had connection problems...however, my in laws have a d-link router and my iPad consistently loses its network key every 15 minutes or so if constantly online.
  15. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I think it has to do with WEP as you say. Apple has issued a warning about it. But I can't replace my router because my provider issued a warning that I don't.

Apple said that there would be a software fix. Where is it?
  16. 328iGuy

328iGuy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Why not try changing the security to WPA/WPA2?

I am running WPA2 on my Airport Extreme and have no issues at all with multiple iMacs, multiple iPads as well as laptops and multiple iPod touch devices and iPhones.

Just a thought.
  17. chandar

chandar iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Some of the suggestions given

1. Firmware upto date on my router
    2. Distance is less than 10 feet and device is in line of sight - should I go any closer, I can use a wired device!
    3. Security is WPA-PSK
    4. Turned off all other devices - tested only the ipad - still problem persists
    5. Tried with another borrowed router - same problem
    6. All other wireless devices - mine and those borrowed for testing - work extremely well!

Problems faced in ipad: slow connections, disruptions in web page loading, signal strength bar showing just a single dot! once an hour password prompt

Still the issues remain. ipad is still officially not sold in India. Cant even seek support. Frustrating!

Thankfully stayed away from iphone - unlike in US the phones were not subsidized by the carrier - iphones cost $800+. Plus the plans cost a bomb!

This time I let my heart rule over my mind for the ipad :mad:!
  18. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Considering I have not had any wifi issues....I do buy it.
  19. Hasty

Hasty iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    I've had my pad for nearly two months with heavy family usage and never once has there been a problem with wi-fi.

That said I did check all the local networks to ensure I was using a relatively free channel. There's a good free windows app called inSSIDer which is good for checking this out.

I'm also very lax about security using only Mac filtering on the router.
    Yes wep encryption is better but frankly if someone wants to break your connection they can do it.
    Best not to have anything you can't bear to lose on your machines in the first place :)
  20. coffeegroup

coffeegroup iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Try turning off auto-brightness, and report back.