Considering iPad; had a few questions?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by FoxCruiser, Jun 13, 2012.

1. FoxCruiser

FoxCruiser iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey, all. This is my first post on the forum, which I think I'll be delving into a great deal. Here's the situation, and I apologize in advance for the novel-length post.

I recently went on vacation a few weeks ago and had brought everything I thought I would need electronically. Two laptops(17" gaming beast and 12" ultraportable for general browsing), Kindle for reading, my iPhone 3GS and iTouch 4G, so on and so forth. It was, in a nutshell, completely overkill and I didn't use over half of it. I was staying at a family member's house which due to something screwy with their wireless router wouldn't let me on with either of my laptops. My iTouch and iPhone were able to connect flawlessly, though Net browsing on a phone-sized screen(though doable) wasn't a great experience.

My mom recently bought an iPad 2(wifi, 32GB) and let me use it whenever she didn't need to. I've admittedly been a very big tablet skeptic and didn't see what all the fuss was about... until I used one for a few days. This is a device which carries significantly less bulk than even my ultraportable laptop, much better battery life, and the iOS interface was pretty straightforward and lacked fuss. Consider me won over, and this is why I'm here... I've got a few questions about picking up a secondhand iPad.

I know a tablet won't replace my primary computers, but I figure I could make do with one when on a trip or headed out for the day. I envision using a tablet for writing(journal entries and short stories) paired with a Bluetooth keyboard, general browsing, ebooks, videos, some music, Netflix, and perhaps some games(though this isn't much of a priority). I'm pretty sure I've got the writing side covered as I've used DocsToGo on my iPhone with some success. The only problem I see is that I will probably want a copious amount of space.

I'm thinking that at the used prices I'm seeing in my area an iPad 1 in 64GB might be the best price to space ratio. I don't really know if I'd really need the increased capabilities of the iPad 2 at the cost of space; I don't really see much need for the cameras and if I really needed to use FaceTime I've got it on my iTouch. Gaming on a tablet isn't a huge priority either, so I don't see me needing the better graphics anytime soon.

However, as this would be my first tablet purchase I could definitely use some advice. Does this sound like a good idea? Are there any other factors I should consider? Any additional insight would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!
  2. ajcgn

ajcgn iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I considered buying an iPad 1, but at the time the prices weren't low enough to justify so I got a new iPad 2 instead. I never owned the 1 so I will let others comment.

Some bits and pieces I've learned:

If you want built in GPS get a 3G model. You don't need a carrier, but the non 3G version doesn't have the chip.

There are external storage devices that can expand what you require. They have advantages and disadvantages and might not save money in the short run, but they would be available for future iPads down the road.

Apps can take up a lot of room, so 16gb may not be enough.

My wife now uses the 2 because I love the retina display on the 3 (millions of threads on the 3 vs 2, maybe even the 1 vs 2)

Like you, I thought an iPad was useless, until I got to hold one for a while. Good luck.
  3. MattIM

MattIM Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0
    Hello FoxCruiser, I recommend you get an iPad2 instead of the iPad 1. It has been posted here on the forum that the new iOS6 will not be available for the original iPad, so getting that model will be pretty inexpensive as owners will start a migration to iPad 2 and the new iPad. I have the original iPad and I was saddened to hear that news. But I have been slowly migrating to the newer versions. I'll keep my original iPad until it becomes useless.

Here is a handy comparison of the 2 and the new. If you are money constrained I'd hold out and get the 2.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad
  4. OttoMcintyre

OttoMcintyre iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You don't need a carrier, but the non 3G version doesn't have the chip
  5. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    The iPad 2 can be had at a decent price, so it would be a good option. Whatever you buy, I would plan on the reality that they are addictive. Once you learn about the ways you can use it that you never thought about, you will want more. This is not a bad thing, as an addiction, it is cheaper than most. And with better side effects.
  6. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    I have iPad 1 and 2. My iPad 1 still works OK, but I wouldn't buy a 2-year-old mobile device that's no longer made and that isn't getting any more firmware upgrades. Plus, iPad 1 has half as much RAM and less advanced innards, and no cameras (in case you want to video chat or such). For the cost diff, I'd get at least an iPad 2. If you can afford it, get the new iPad. Latest and best innards, and best screen.
  7. Bosvaark

Bosvaark iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    An ipad 1 can still be useful for many years to come , most people do the following on their pads, read books, browse the net, email, take notes, read news, use maps if 3G, the odd office programs, as always heavy duty graphic games kill any device, even the iPad 2, so if games is your " thing" buy the new iPad.
  8. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    I use my iPads to do what you refer to, but no games, and I can see performance differences between the two. The iPad 1 is more sluggish than the 2.

If you have a 1, I'd say enjoy if you're happy with it. If I were buying now, I'd avoid iPad 1. I say that as someone who uses iPad 1 and 2 interchangeably, depending on which is charged more. I often use both at the same time -- one to stream Netflix and the other to surf. When I use both, I make sure to stream the movie on iPad 1, which works fine on it, and surf on iPad 2, because of iPad 1's sluggishness on various sites. My iPad 1 crashes more often than iPad 2 as well, because of RAM issues. (As I can tell on my iPad's diagnostics log.) Both my 1 and 2 are 64GB 3G models, and they have nearly identical content, except for differences in movies loaded. I've had iPad 1 since day one of 3G launch and wouldn't knock it for no reason, except I can see the differences in performance.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  9. FoxCruiser

FoxCruiser iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. While it may take quite a while longer, perhaps I should pinch pennies and save up for a 64GB iPad 2? I'd rather have the increased storage space more than anything else, and that might be the best 'balanced' tablet for the time being. I'll admit the $250-275 price tag of the iPad 1 64GB is pretty tempting, but if the user experience is a night and day difference at this point I should prolly scrimp a little longer.
  10. mdholm

mdholm iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    My feeling is you should save a few more pennies and get the newest iPad. As fast as technology changes, I'd never get anything but the latest model of whatever I was considering. Granted, Apple is probably already working on making the "3" obsolete, but I'm guessing it will be relevant longer than the 2 will be. The upcoming iOS6 isn't even going to be available for the 1, a fact that would cause me to pass on it. But that's just my opinion; I probably don't know what I'm talking about. :D
  11. FoxCruiser

FoxCruiser iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I wanted to bump this thread up a bit and say thanks for the suggestions. I may have pulled a slightly stupid move but found a 64GB iPad 1 with 3G and decked out in an Otterbox Defender case for only $250. Admittedly this model is a little sluggish but does a great job holding all my movies, music, and apps so I can't really complain. These devices are definitely addicting, in a good way. Using Docs to Go to sync what I write on the iPad as well as my laptops is simply brilliant. The iPad 1 will definitely tide me over for a while, and being an older device means I'm not afraid to use it out and about. Putting it simply, I'm stoked. :)
  12. Rperez414

Rperez414 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Awesome! I'm also using the original iPad and think its okay until I get a used iPad 3. It's hard for me to get excited about the iPad 2 with a screen that is the same resolution. Putting up with a few hiccups now and than is worth the $500 I'd have to spend to get a used 3G iPad 2.