1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Connectivity issues

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by TheMitz, May 6, 2010.

1. TheMitz

TheMitz iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Last two days my iPad has been Suh-LOOOOO to connect, if at all. Both at home and at work. This morning I tried to connect to about 6 sites and never made it. I'm talking Google, MSN, YouTube, my firm's portal. Really frustrating! I get "Safari can't open because server has stopped responding." Who's server? I have 3G 16G but am only using Wi-Fi at the moment. At home I ended up standing right next to the router and things still wouldn't connect even though my WiFi icon showed max bars. Also, when I finally do get into a site, like Amazon, and move from one page to another, it's very slow; seems to take forever for pages even to re-load. I even made sure I only had 2 pages open in the browser thinking maybe my memory was struggling. I also turned off the location finder. What am I missing? I wanted to use the iPad for a lot of things but this halt in functionality is putting a serious crimp in my plans!
  2. NumbLock

NumbLock iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    Reboot? Check that your iPad has a fixed IP address in your router?

There is an Apple help site, hopefully someone will provide the link.
  3. NumbLock

NumbLock iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
  4. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Edlex

Edlex iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would try clearing all history, cache, cookies and Turing it off completely. Wait a few minutes and turn it back on. Restart your router as well and see if they play nice then. If not it's genius time.
  6. TheMitz

TheMitz iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I connect to the network (router) just fine. Mine at home and wireless network at work. It's trying to connect to a site - like Google, or msn.com, it loads and loads and loads and then tells me the server is not responding - all the while Settings tells me I'm connected to Wifi.
  7. TheMitz

TheMitz iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    And I have rebooted - makes no diff.
  8. Sincere11105

Sincere11105 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Restore? Take to the genius bar
  9. DMad

DMad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    TheMitz - Were you ever able to get this corrected? I'm having the exact same problems and would love to know if you've got a solution yet.
  10. NumbLock

NumbLock iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    As it says in that link, I fixed my problems by:

1) Switching to WPA encryption
    2) Using a fixed IP address
    3) Turning up the brightness and turning off "Auto"
  11. DMad

DMad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In my router settings I see the option to change to WPA encryption, but it's asking for a passphrase and I'm not sure what that means. Plus, I'm afraid of creating a wireless problem for the other three computers in the house that use this router.

Also, not sure how you use a fixed IP address, but the one assigned to my iPad doesn't ever seem to change, even after I renew the lease.

Brightness is up and "Auto" is off, that didn't help on its own.

Any other ideas?
  12. NumbLock

NumbLock iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    Try the WPA encryption. You'll have to put in a passcode, yes, and edit all the computers on the network.

Sorry, but until Apple fixes this problem, we're all in the same boat together.
  13. Al Rogers

Al Rogers iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    By reading some complaints on the apple website many owners are having Wi-Fi problems,my Ipad stopped connecting today,cannot use the apps store,mail,or my browser. If this is how the gadget is going to act it will be sent back for a refund by mid week,as I have only had it 6 days. My first and last apple,should have bought a mini notebook.The Wi-Fi on my wifes laptop is working fine,did I mention is was a Dell.
    Disappointed,hacked off and p..... off you name it I have it.

Al.
  14. TheMitz

TheMitz iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi DMad - Sorry but my solution was to return it. I took it to the genius bar (the genius was unaware of any connectivity issues). I followed all the instructions I could find, including everything you did. It worked so inconsistently and connected so sporadically on a variety of networks that I could not in any way rationalize spending that kind of money on technology that was so random. I know lots of people love theirs and have had no problem. Maybe they got a bad batch and I got a lemon. Plus, I'm out the money for a MobileMe sub, camera connector, 2 covers and a stylus. I really, really wanted it to function but if it can't or won't connect - it's useless to me. I will watch the improvements carefully and maybe after the next one or two generations I will try it again.
  15. DMad

DMad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oh, crap - I don't want to have to return it, I just want it to work!

I need to take it to a wifi outside of my house and see what happens, the thought is my home router is so old it doesn't support the newer technology, like an iPad. I've got a new one being shipped, but if this is going to be an ongoing issue from wifi to wifi, the price is simply not worth it.

Unfortunate, because outside of older-version iPods and my current iPod classic (which I love), this is my first real foray into Apple products and so far it's been a bit of a struggle. Which has been surprising given how much I've heard about Apples user friendlieness and easy usability.
  16. galiano

galiano iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I am having the same sporadic wifi connectivity problems with my home network. I contacted the Linsys help line and they did a remote number on my setup and made a few changes. This was supposed to resolve the issue but even with a Linksys signal booster I still have problems. At times my Ipad shows a full connection but I am unable to open a website. Really frustrating.
  17. DMad

DMad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just to update, it was my home wireless router that was the problem. As soon as I installed a current modem / router all my connectivity problems went away. I can even change brightness settings with no issues.

If you're router is old, that may be your problem.
  18. TheMitz

TheMitz iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Glad you're up and running. I bought a brand new router at home. Didn't help. I also had issues on my work network (huge lawfirm with an IT dept)and hot spots so it was not just one network giving me problems.

This, too, has been my first foray into Apple other than an iPod Classic and a Shuffle. I, too, was surpised with all the difficulties after hearing about Apple's stellar customer service.
  19. 2112_yyz

2112_yyz iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi All
    just got an iPad. Had problems with a linksys router, I removed security and MAC address filter to no avail. It was the comment from DMad "If you're router is old, that may be your problem." that made me think. So I downloaded a firmware update from linksys for my router and immediatley got on to the internet with the iPad.
    I turned on security and MAC filters and it still works.

Thanks to all of you.
  20. mslammers

mslammers iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Why I Don't Run WiFi in my house

Don't feel too bad folks. The problems seem to be router related "mostly" and I had them in spades with my wife's computer in another room trying to maintain contact with my wifi modem router. I finally strung ethernet class 6 cable between the computer and the router port and things have been just fine. I talked to some on-line folks and some smart computer store folks and it is a combination of router firmware and some of the metal nails in the roofing [it seems]. We would get sporadic connection some days and 0 on others. Now my in-home IT expert [me] doesn't get called by my wife to come fix her computer, browser and e-mail don't work again. You may have to deal with the problem for quite a while depending on local conditions. That is one reason I elect to get all my e-mail at home and do all my browsing from home. My iPad will be a photo display and video display unit for the most part. I take lots of HD Video and 21MP photos. I have high hopes for the iPad screen resolution to help me display my work. I did set up a g-mail account for occasional e-mail when I get to a good hotspot at my local Panera or other hotspot location. It is:
    Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2012