What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Connection

Tbrewington

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded the application nook and when I bought a book for it from barnes and nobles and proceeded to download it I was told I couldn't because I needed a wifi connection. Why is this so when I pay monthly for Internet service? Can someone help me with this?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are size limits on downloads when using 3G. I think it is 20MB, but could easily be wrong.

I'm surprised that it would kick in for a book though. They are usually smaller than that.

OP
T

Tbrewington

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
There are size limits on downloads when using 3G. I think it is 20MB, but could easily be wrong.

I'm surprised that it would kick in for a book though. They are usually smaller than that.

So what do u think I should do?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you don't have your own WiFi at home or work, take a break at a Starbucks, McDonalds, or other free hotspot and download the book.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I find this one of the most frustrating aspects of the iPad. Like you, I have an unlimited 3G data plan ('all you can eat') but the iPad will not let me download apps, videos, music or books that are bigger than 20 MB. I often stay at hotels where there is WiFi - but you have to pay for it - I have 3G on my iPad, I paid good money to buy a 3G iPad and Apple won't let me use it if I buy through the App or iTunes Store. A bit like buying a top-of-the-range sports car and then being told you can't use it on the freeway.

Tim
Scotland

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
- I have 3G on my iPad, I paid good money to buy a 3G iPad and Apple won't let me use it if I buy through the App or iTunes Store. A bit like buying a top-of-the-range sports car and then being told you can't use it on the freeway.

I thought AT&T provided the 3G service for the iPad.

OP
T

Tbrewington

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
I find this one of the most frustrating aspects of the iPad. Like you, I have an unlimited 3G data plan ('all you can eat') but the iPad will not let me download apps, videos, music or books that are bigger than 20 MB. I often stay at hotels where there is WiFi - but you have to pay for it - I have 3G on my iPad, I paid good money to buy a 3G iPad and Apple won't let me use it if I buy through the App or iTunes Store. A bit like buying a top-of-the-range sports car and then being told you can't use it on the freeway.

Tim
Scotland

I understand now. Thank you but for the 800.00 and some dollars that I paid for this and the darn 3G I would think I could rule the world with this! Lol. I guess Mc Donalds here I come.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To be fair, I'm pretty sure this is a limitation that the carriers insisted on, at least in the U.S. There is no advantage to limiting download size for Apple. As you demonstrated, it just annoys their customers.

On the other hand, think of all the people who have complained about the forever-to-download app that is stuck on their iPad. Imagine how many more complaints there would be if they were using 3G for the really big ones.

Could be just a case of guessing which group would be smaller, and complain less. The tech is still far to limited to meet everyones expectations and/or needs.

Most reactions

Latest posts