What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Connection ouside the US

Ronaldo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am traveling to Mexico soon.
My iPad 3 has a Verizon card that I have never activated.
Can I purchase a data plan for a month that would give me unlimited coverage while in Mexico?
I talked to a novice Verizon representative that was not very helpful.
Thanks

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Don't think a domestic Verizon plan will cover your trip to Mexico. You might have to buy it there or buy an international prepaid.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
Unlikely.
You would have to activate a data plan domestically and add a roaming plan which probably runs $25 + a month or the prepaid plan the above post mentions,
If available.

If you don't travel a lot, better to use "pay as you go" for access ONY when public / free wifi isn't available.

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Check out the local cellular carriers where you are traveling to. You may be able to buy a local pre paid SIM card.

OP
R

Ronaldo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unlikely.
You would have to activate a data plan domestically and add a roaming plan which probably runs $25 + a month or the prepaid plan the above post mentions,
If available.

If you don't travel a lot, better to use "pay as you go" for access ONY when public / free wifi isn't available.

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Yes this is what I was looking for. A prepaid plan for a month. When I asked the sales rep it was Ahh...I don't think so. And when I asked are you sure? His response was Ah .....pretty sure. What in the name of heaven has become of customer service?
I'll check with another Verizon rep.
Thanks everybody.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ronaldo said:
Yes this is what I was looking for. A prepaid plan for a month. When I asked the sales rep it was Ahh...I don't think so. And when I asked are you sure? His response was Ah .....pretty sure. What in the name of heaven has become of customer service?
I'll check with another Verizon rep.
Thanks everybody.

Don't check with your cellular provider, check with the cellular provider located in your destination. If you have an unlocked phone, you can use a SIM card from any carrier supported by your phone. If your phone is locked, some carriers will unlock it for international use. Have you asked about that?

OP
R

Ronaldo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
Don't check with your cellular provider, check with the cellular provider located in your destination. If you have an unlocked phone, you can use a SIM card from any carrier supported by your phone. If your phone is locked, some carriers will unlock it for international use. Have you asked about that?

You mean iPad right?
What do you mean by unlocked? I bought it with a Verizon SIM card. The place I'm traveling to is very remote and rural. Not a lot there.
So if I were to find one that I could use, how does that work? Would it be like a phone calling card with a prepaid data allotment? Take out the Verizon card and install another?
Sorry but this is my first attempt at traveling with an iPad.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ronaldo said:
You mean iPad right?
What do you mean by unlocked? I bought it with a Verizon SIM card. The place I'm traveling to is very remote and rural. Not a lot there.
So if I were to find one that I could use, how does that work? Would it be like a phone calling card with a prepaid data allotment? Take out the Verizon card and install another?
Sorry but this is my first attempt at traveling with an iPad.

Yes, if you get a prepaid SIM card, you just remove the existing card from your iPad and replace it with the prepaid one. That way you avoid expensive data roaming charges.

OP
R

Ronaldo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, if you get a prepaid SIM card, you just remove the existing card from your iPad and replace it with the prepaid one. That way you avoid expensive data roaming charges.

If I can find one, this sounds pretty cool! Sounds like it would be cheaper IF I can find one.
Thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts