What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Connecting to TV

SHEF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had my A1416 for 14 months and have now decided that I would like to see photo's, video's and tv recordings on the television. Here in the UK we have BBC IPlayer, TV Catchup, ITV Player, 4oD, Demand 5 etc for missed tv programmes. Reading how to do it by cable keeps saying use a Lightning connector cable and HDMI cable then select TV out widescreen etc and various in forms. There is no TV out on my I Pad. There are now 6ft cables on Amazon that have the dock connection one end and an HDMI at the other end that I have tried but cannot get a picture on my TV. Are there any special settings on the I Pad that I should be using or are these cable useless. I am running iOS 7.0.6.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have had my A1416 for 14 months and have now decided that I would like to see photo's, video's and tv recordings on the television. Here in the UK we have BBC IPlayer, TV Catchup, ITV Player, 4oD, Demand 5 etc for missed tv programmes. Reading how to do it by cable keeps saying use a Lightning connector cable and HDMI cable then select TV out widescreen etc and various in forms. There is no TV out on my I Pad. There are now 6ft cables on Amazon that have the dock connection one end and an HDMI at the other end that I have tried but cannot get a picture on my TV. Are there any special settings on the I Pad that I should be using or are these cable useless. I am running iOS 7.0.6.
Hi, SHEF! Welcome to iPF!

If your model number is the one you posted, you own an iPad 3, which has a 30 pin connector. A lightning connector won't be of any use.

When you connect your iPad to the TV, provided that the cables work, there's nothing you have to do on your iPad. More likely you'll have to look for the source on your TV.

OP
S

SHEF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Johanna,
Thank you for your quick reply. My mistake, I obviously own an iPad 3. The reason I put A1416 is because I had a suspicion that it may be but wasn't too sure.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Johanna, Thank you for your quick reply. My mistake, I obviously own an iPad 3. The reason I put A1416 is because I had a suspicion that it may be but wasn't too sure.
No problem, as long as you know which cables you need. ;-)

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try this.

Once you have the TV and iPad connected with the cable pull up the Control Center (swipe up from the bottom edge of the iPad's screen). If there is an AirPlay icon, tap it and choose your TV. Depending on what app you are using it will either start working, or you may have to enable Mirroring (also shown under the AirPlay icon.

If the iPad does not see a way to send stuff to your TV or another AirPlay compatible device the AirPlay icon will not show up.

Anyway, this is how it should work, I think. I can't tell for sure since I don't own any of it.

Of course, you also have to do whatever the TV needs done to it to see and display video from an external source. Do that before looking for the AirPlay icon.

Good luck.

OP
S

SHEF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tw I tried this but there is no AirPlay icon. I suspect this appears in view if it picks up a device to AirPlay as you said. My TV is a Panasonic Plasma, incompatible maybe?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sorry.

Guess we'll have to wait for someone who actually has the setup and uses it.

I'll note that we don't hear as much confusion about the Apple TV setup as we do the cable's though. At $100 it might be worth it to you.

Before you go out and buy one, hold in mind I'm only doing the hearsay thing. I don't' even own a TV, and haven't for ages.

Good luck.

chinajon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cable to TV

Hi. I have an iPad 2 with the 30 pin port, and iOS 7, so it should be the same.
HDMI ports of the back of the TV are numbered. Be sure to turn on the TV and set it to watch the input from the port into which you will plug the cable.
Plug the cable into the TV, and into the HDMI adapter (30xHDMI).
The iPad screen will be the TV. You control the TV with the iPad.
That being said, there is only one advantage to using a cable. It will have more than enough bandwidth to play everything on the iPad.
The drawbacks are legion. First, the cable gets in the way. It unplugs, and it is limited in length. The iPad must do the controlling.
So the alternative is Apple TV. Try the cable and see when Apple will release an update to the ATV. By then you will know if you can live with the cable or not.

PS. Cable to TV is not AirPlay. It is screen sharing. AirPlay is wireless and only apps that have AirPlay can work. Cable will show everything all the time. Airplay will show screen share when you ask it to.

Last edited:

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now what would I need to mirror an iPad. 4 to a TV? With 7.0 4 installed?

Sent from my IPAD 1st generation. WIFI only. 64GB

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok I will purchase this Lightning to VGA Adapter (MD825ZM/A). Then to hook to TV I have purchased this New PC VGA SVGA Male to S-Video 3 RCA. Sent from my IPAD 1st generation. WIFI only. 64GB

The above did not work. Here pictured is what I purchased.

This forum does not allow to include photographs. Parse error. It does. It seem possible to see things that are on the iPad on the TV screen unless there is some setting.

Last edited:
OP
S

SHEF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have now had more time to sort this out, remember I have an I Pad 3 (A1416). Having e-mailed Panasonic (UK) it appears that my 42" Plasma Freeview television is not built to accept an I Pad and just will not work. Panasonic do have a list of those televisions that are compatible with I Pads. Panasonic now have an I Phone/I Pad App called TV Remote 2 that will allow you to connect to their newer televisions by Air Play without the Apple TV module. I have tried my 30 pin Dock/HDMI cable in my son's newer Panasonic television and it worked without a hitch. Plug into the HDMI inlet on the television, select that via the TV remote, plug in the 30 pin dock to your I Pad and away you go, there is a slight delay while the two bits of kit shake hands.

Most reactions

Latest posts