What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Connecting to the internet

IpadOwner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and hope to stay here:)

So, I recently bought an Ipad which seems to be working fine, except one thing; I am not able to connect to the internet. It's picked up my internet as the bars are at the top corner (three blue bars of signal). However when i open the Safari it is saying i am not connected to the internet, or something similar to that. What i don't understand here is, It's all connected through my Broadband as It's ticked on the Wi Fi setting. So what's the issue here? I don't want to take it back unless It's the last option, and as for the screen brightness which has some relevance? It's right up! The only thing that isn't set on my Ipad is the VPN, but are these mandatory?

iPad-Sweden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check that u have the APN settings for your Carrier and username & password If needed.

OP
I

IpadOwner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
APN? Sorry, i'm slow with this kinda thing lol
It only asked me for the password which appears to be correct to have connected to the Broadband.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just because you have wifi bars doesn't mean that it is connected to the Internet. Do you use that wifi with something else like a laptop? You know, to check that it works?

OP
I

IpadOwner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am currently using my Laptop which is connected via the same connection as my Ipad is saying it's connected by. The password i typed into my Ipad is the one that's set for all the PC's in this house, including my Laptop. I just don't know what else i could do as the connection seems absolutely fine on my household Laptop.

Craigfeds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try rebooting the iPad by holding the start button on the lower band the on/ off button at the same until it says turn off, then do. To restart after a few minutes of off time then restart hue same way. Hope that helps

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know where location ST is, but in the United States, there are several places that offer free WiFi like McDonalds and Starbucks. If you can find a place that offers free WiFi, take your iPad there and see if you can connect.

If you can connect, then the problem is most likely in your home network setup. If you can not connect, then there may in fact be a problem with your iPad in which case it needs to be returned to the place where you bought it.

OP
I

IpadOwner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't find the start button=p

I'm thinking about taking it down to the store tomorrow, as this has to be a problem with the Ipad itself in my opinion. Testing it elsewhere would be helpful to see whether it works there, but i'm still not convinced it's to do with my home wireless connection otherwise the Laptop would not work.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't find the start button
What he means is that you hold down the Home button and then hold down the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears. Then let go of the buttons and let your iPad start normally.

ipad29.jpg

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
99% of wireless connection problems are not due to defective iPad's, but with your router and it's settings.
Lots of threads on this subject on these forums so have a browse first before you commit to visiting the store.
Reboot your iPad and try again.

Remember it's always the simplest things that get you.

OP
I

IpadOwner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So it's possible that the router can be the problem, even though my laptop is ok?
I imagine it may just be some setting or something. I haven't a clue what to check with my router though as i thought that part had connected fine to it.
I can browse through other threads on this and have a see.
Thanks=]

OP
I

IpadOwner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A quick update: I called Apple and discussed the problem with them and they advised me to reset my router, and also restore the whole Ipad through Itunes, as well as a couple of other things. I did all this for definite and am still not able to get on the internet. I'm guessing it's time i go back to the store, luckily there's a McDonald's across the road from the store which i tend to go in to eat at, do they offer free Wi Fi each time as long as you purchase something from the restaurant? I'm curious to see whether it will work in there, although i am still not convinced it's my router etc.

Timmah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you laptop is connecting fine, it isn't your router and is your iPad.

Please try going to "Settings", Reset, Reset Network Settings (or something similar)

Let me know if that fixes your issue.

OP
I

IpadOwner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's the one i did whilst talking to the advisor over the phone.
Even doing that didn't work=[
I'm thinking the same, as it's obvious there's something wrong with the internet on the Ipad somewhere.

Most reactions

Latest posts