What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Connecting to other networks

Bubba loo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got my iPad 4 from Santa and just love it!

But here's my problem: I can connect to my own wireless router here at home without any problem. The other day I was at a friend's house and tried to connect to his wireless router I couldn't, and yes...I was using his correct password. It was the same at my local coffee shop.

My iPad sees the network in the wifi settings and prompts me for the password. I enter it but the "join" button is greyed out. What do I have to do to be able to connect to other networks besides my own?

Thanks in advance,
Bobby

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bubba loo said:
I got my iPad 4 from Santa and just love it!

But here's my problem: I can connect to my own wireless router here at home without any problem. The other day I was at a friend's house and tried to connect to his wireless router I couldn't, and yes...I was using his correct password. It was the same at my local coffee shop.

My iPad sees the network in the wifi settings and prompts me for the password. I enter it but the "join" button is greyed out. What do I have to do to be able to connect to other networks besides my own?

Thanks in advance,
Bobby

Have you tried going to Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings? This won't erase anything on your iPad but may help with your problem.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to be clear, that is not normal behaviour and you are not expected to have to do that under normal circumstances.

All my devices are connected to many different wifi networks between work, friends and family, home, and others. All of them connect effortlessly without intervention 99% of the time. I can only recall resetting my network settings once in the past.

Unless you are content to live with that inconvenience, I'd suggest you look at it a little deeper. The first course of action is normally to backup your device, perform a full IOS restore using iTunes and then restore the backup again. Sometimes IOS settings can become corrupt and a restore fixes the issue.

Quite often, routers are also to blame. Make sure you home router has the latest firmware and has been rebooted recently. Apple apply wifi standards quite strictly compared to other vendors, so Apple devices tend to not play so well with routers which are not broadcasting fully compliant networks. The choice of security protocol is the most common offender. Try changing the security type on your wifi router and see if that helps.

Last edited:

mortymoose69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oranjemundonline.com
Actually I changed my mind.... it worked for 10 minutes, then the connection was dropped. I am sitting less than 3m from the router, my laptop wifi connection is constant, the ipad keeps losing it, under wifi on the ipad I can see the wifi connection, just cannot connect to it unless I reset the pads network connection.... this sucks!

mortymoose69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oranjemundonline.com
To the man from Troon, f4780y My ipad is brand new, oot the box. Working fine on my home wifi, never dropping, picks up the signal the moment I walk in the door.... about a month back I had another chap in the office with his ipad2, if also saw the router, showed the wifi logo on the top left hand of the pad , but would not allow him to connect. Me thinks you might be on the right track with upgrading the routers firmware.... seeing as it is the same make of router as my home one.... let me go and dig around that routers insides...

cheers

mortymoose69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oranjemundonline.com
For what it's worth, I am running ios 6.0.1 ... Talking to another workmate who has the iphone running ios 6.0 ... he reckons he has given up on trying to connect to the office wifi as when he was running an earlier version of ios he had no problems , once he upgraded to 6.0 he lost the connection, could see it, but not connect to it..... seems similar to my problem, just different device.....

I have reset my network connections on the pad, but now we are back to square one.... see's the router, little circle goes round and round..... i enter the password.... and the circle goes round and round.... wifi logo appears in top left corner, but if i open any app, mail, safari..... no connection available.... me blood is starting to boil and unlike my co worker , I ain;t the kind of guy that can just leave it......

:thumbsdown:

Charlie0664

iPF Noob
Reaction score
see's the router, little circle goes round and round..... i enter the password.... and the circle goes round and round....

We had the same problem.

Me and the wife both got ipads for Christmas, she got the 2 and I got the 4. Our home wi-fi worked great but about 2 weeks ago we upgraded our
modem from our Internet provider and we had nothing but problems ever sense. I ended up calling our Internet provider and getting them
to disconnect the wi-fi on the modem and run it back through my router, we had a couple of problems at first but it seems to work great now.

I haven't tried other connections outside the house, I'm getting ready to go on vacation so we will see what happens.

mortymoose69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oranjemundonline.com
So I went home last night, with me trusty Ipad in tow.... it picked up my home wifi the moment I walked in the door.... being the clever kinda person I am, realising that the two wireless routers are both exactly the same, Fritzbox, I logged onto the home router, made copies of all the screen settings... at work right now.... logged onto the work router, and everything is exactly the same, save for the routers name...... I also did , an ipconfig on me home pc, to check how the settings were in comparison with the work pc.... obviously the IP's are not the same, but the home pc had the following two lines "Search Domains fritz.box &
Client ID "Blank" ..... not sure what the problem could be here..... getting frustrated in a curious kinda way, might have to resort to calling my brother.... IT nutter with the local mine......

mortymoose69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oranjemundonline.com
Ok! Sorted this out.... Quite simple actually..... Instead of waiting for the ipad to "detect" the wifi network, armed with the correct Name of the Network.... caps and all, and the security key, I opted for "Other Network" , entered the Networks name, and the security pin, oh and the correct type of security wep2 or whatever your router is configured with.... clicked Join... waited for 15 seconds.... and Bob 's your uncle....... thanks for all the comments... cheers

Morty....:D

Most reactions

Latest posts