What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Connecting my iPad to Apple TV

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hope this helps
One of the least publicized features in iOS 5 is the ability of the iPad 2 (and, apparently, the iPhone 4S) to wirelessly mirror its screen to a second-generation Apple TV. If both your iPad and your Apple TV are fully up-to-date, here's how you activate mirror mode.

Don't look for the controls in the Settings app on your iPad. Instead, they are snuggled next to the iPod controls. Double-press your home button to see the multitasking bar, showing all your recent apps. Swipe your finger from right to left; you'll see the AirPlay icon. Tap on that, select your Apple TV and toggle the mirror button to 'on'.

If everything is on the same Wi-Fi network, your iPad screen will appear on your Apple TV. It works well, and with a minimum of lag between the 2 devices. I checked dozens of apps, particularly games, and both sound and video made it just fine. Angry Birds looked great. So did Real Racing HD. Of course, the iPad doesn't sport a 16x9 aspect ratio, so there was black on either side of the video. On the other hand, Netflix ran in full 16x9 mode, fully sensing my wider TV screen. Of course, you can already run Netflix movies natively from the Apple TV, so there isn't much point in that exercise.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of the least publicized features in iOS 5 is the ability of the iPad 2 (and, apparently, the iPhone 4S) to wirelessly mirror its screen to a second-generation Apple TV. If both your iPad and your Apple TV are fully up-to-date, here's how you activate mirror mode.

Will this work with the iPad 1 ?

OP
M

Mikey123456

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hope this helps

Don't look for the controls in the Settings app on your iPad. Instead, they are snuggled next to the iPod controls. Double-press your home button to see the multitasking bar, showing all your recent apps. Swipe your finger from right to left; you'll see the AirPlay icon. Tap on that, select your Apple TV and toggle the mirror button to 'on'.

If everything is on the same Wi-Fi network, your iPad screen will appear on your Apple TV.

There is no evidence anywhere on my iPad of the AirPlay icon. I have tried everything you mention already. I wonder if I have a dud Apple TV.

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does your Apple TV connect wirelessly to iTunes? (I.e., when connected to the tv can you browse films on the iTunes store?)

The Archangel

Kricke

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
There is no evidence anywhere on my iPad of the AirPlay icon. I have tried everything you mention already. I wonder if I have a dud Apple TV.

From the link the Archangel provided: Ensure that AirPlay is enabled on your Apple TV. You can disable or enable AirPlay on Apple TV in the AirPlay menu: Settings > AirPlay.

But this is my last idea. If you still aren't able to use AirPlay try a friend's iOS device or go to someone with a working Apple TV.
Sorry.

Knut

dssxxxx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You do not need the latest upgrade on the Apple TV to use it for mirroring.

Just FYI.

busy.bees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi nick here
I am on the same sort of problem but I can't seem to find the advanced section on iTunes with the I pad to turn on home share. I was sold this and told I could watch sky sports etc etc through apple tv via my pad, I have sound but no picture the pad doesn't show up on computers neither. Help it's doing my nut in

Most reactions

Latest posts