Connecting my iPad to Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by Mikey123456, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Mikey123456

Mikey123456
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Also - I don't have anything showing on the Computers menu on the Apple TV screen - I think this should list the computers I am sharing, but it can't see anything.

2. Kricke

Kricke
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Can you watch YouTube videos on your TV screen through the Apple TV menue? To make sure that you are linked to the Internet?
    And are you sure that both your devices, Apple TV and your iPad, are on the same network? Same subnet but slightly different IP address?

Knut

3. Gabriel1

Gabriel1
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Thanks Received:
    With your Apple TV turned on, double click your home button then swipe the bar at the bottom so you can see the far left hand side, the AirPlay button should be there.

The Archangel

4. Mikey123456

Mikey123456
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Yes can watch You-tube no probs. Definitely same network. I just found out that my iPad and PC are sharing OK - I downloaded an app onto the iPad and it sync'd with the PC without me connecting them. I wasn't expecting that! I have reset the config on the Apple TV and re-entered it all. Still same. Driving me crazy. I'd be happy to find out I am doing something dense, but I can't think of anything I haven't already tried.

5. Mikey123456

Mikey123456
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Archangel, but it is not there.

6. Kricke

Kricke
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    That is strange. Does the airplay button appear when you open a photo from the photo app?

Knut

7. Gabriel1

Gabriel1
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Thanks Received:
  8. col.bris

col.bris
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hope this helps
    One of the least publicized features in iOS 5 is the ability of the iPad 2 (and, apparently, the iPhone 4S) to wirelessly mirror its screen to a second-generation Apple TV. If both your iPad and your Apple TV are fully up-to-date, here's how you activate mirror mode.

Don't look for the controls in the Settings app on your iPad. Instead, they are snuggled next to the iPod controls. Double-press your home button to see the multitasking bar, showing all your recent apps. Swipe your finger from right to left; you'll see the AirPlay icon. Tap on that, select your Apple TV and toggle the mirror button to 'on'.

If everything is on the same Wi-Fi network, your iPad screen will appear on your Apple TV. It works well, and with a minimum of lag between the 2 devices. I checked dozens of apps, particularly games, and both sound and video made it just fine. Angry Birds looked great. So did Real Racing HD. Of course, the iPad doesn't sport a 16x9 aspect ratio, so there was black on either side of the video. On the other hand, Netflix ran in full 16x9 mode, fully sensing my wider TV screen. Of course, you can already run Netflix movies natively from the Apple TV, so there isn't much point in that exercise.

9. SweetPoison

SweetPoison
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Will this work with the iPad 1 ?

10. Gabriel1

Gabriel1
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Not natively but many apps support AirPlay.

The Archangel