What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Connecting ipad2 with Apple TV

mwhoody

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to ask this in this forum or not. If not please delete.
I got an Apple TV for Christmas and am damned if I could get it to work with my ipad.
I clicked on the airplay and got it all set up but I still don't see and airplay icon anywhere. I know I'm doing something wrong but I just can't figure it out.
I have tried the Youtube and it all works fine so I know I do have WiFi working fine
What am I doing wrong?
Thank you

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some apps have their own access to AirPlay but generally, double press the Home button then swipe the resulting task bar all the way to the left to get this screen (then touch the AirPlay symbol)......

The Archangel

Attachments

• image-4213506861.png
    image-4213506861.png
    582.3 KB · Views: 559
OP
mwhoody

mwhoody

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow thank you for your quick reply.
My trouble is that I do not see that symbol as you show it. It's just not there.
I thought I did all the setup properly in the Airplay setup. Is there anything I shoud have done ahead of that or after
I'm must say that I'm a little down because I was thinking that this would be such an easy setup according to all tha adds.
Thanks again

webtilton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. Actually my sister is, I gave her an Apple TV to use with her iPad. I thought it would be easy but she called and can't get it to work. It plays her music on the tv but that's it. I found in Apple support how to turn AirPlay on and she did that but the mirroring button doesn't come on under Apple TV. According to the support page the only suggestion is to turn off the firewall in her wireless router, but I have no idea how to tell her how to do that. Is there any other advice? Thanks, and thanks from my sister too.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm, if you haven't got the AirPlay icon that means your iPads can't see the Apple TV. Just for clarity, they both need to be on the same network and (I think) signed in under the same Apple ID.

The Archangel

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
Just a quickie here, if you go onto iTunes on your main computer and play a track, at the bottom right hand side of the screen should be an AirPlay sign, click on this and choose to play music through AppleTV. Let me know the outcome of this

p.s I know this may sound daft, but make sure that on your AppleTV under settings...AirPlay.....it is switched to ON.

webtilton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TheRambler said:
p.s I know this may sound daft, but make sure that on your AppleTV under settings...AirPlay.....it is switched to ON.

Thanks, I told my sister everything so far, this sounds the most likely. She's hundreds of miles away so it's not easy to work on her problem. But I want her Christmas present to work darn it.

webtilton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for yall's help so far. I just got off the phone with my sister again and we have some of it cleared up but not all. First of all, her iTunes works fine and she's excited about that. Both music and videos work well. Also YouTube works and she can show her iPhoto pictures on the tv. But the main thing she wanted it for was to watch Netflix and that doesn't seem to work. It says on her iPad that it is showing the movie on her tv, but on the tv she says all she sees is the iTunes store. She says there is no special Netflix setting in preferences for AirPlay or Apple tv but all the other settings on her iPad and tv seem to be correct.

Thanks again. Y'all are great, so is this app!

webtilton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, well never mind, she called back and she said she got Netflix to work. Seems you have to go to an Internet setting on Apple TV and put in your Netflix account. Not sure if it streams that way from the iPad or straight off the net, she's too tired to do it now. But she thinks she has it fixed and loves her present. Thanks guys!

magicbytim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can someone post which AirPlay to use. When I search for AirPlay all I find is airplayer. Is thus the right one?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
webtilton said:
Ok, well never mind, she called back and she said she got Netflix to work. Seems you have to go to an Internet setting on Apple TV and put in your Netflix account. Not sure if it streams that way from the iPad or straight off the net, she's too tired to do it now. But she thinks she has it fixed and loves her present. Thanks guys!

Netflix is built into Apple TV, in the USA anyway, so no need to use the iPad except, if I haven't mentioned it before......download the Remote App (by Apple) for controlling the Apple TV, it makes using it so much easier.

magicbytim said:
Can someone post which AirPlay to use. When I search for AirPlay all I find is airplayer. Is thus the right one?

AirPlay isn't an app, it's a function built into iOS and some existing apps, if you look at my image posted earlier in the thread you will see that I have highlighted the AirPlay symbol. You just touch that symbol when you want to start streaming to Apple TV and touch it again when you want to stop streaming.

The Archangel

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
And don't forget to link your iTunes with your AppleTV using the 'Home Sharing' within advanced on your computer and within settings on your AppleTV......this will allow your music to be played via your AppleTV and any wireless speakers you have connected to it round the house.
I can't sing Apples praises enough when it comes to technology! The best thing with the AppleTV is the ability to listen to music anywhere in the house.....and it's totally controllable!

I'm glad you got the problem sorted webtilton, I hope your Daughter has great fun with her new Apple product. Let us know if you have any other problems.

Most reactions

Latest posts