What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Connecting iPad1 to TV

BillLinda824

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Recently upgraded my iPad1 from software version 3.2 to 5.0 and now would like to run video, games, etc through a Sony Bravia television. I purchased an HDMI cable and adapter from the Apple store and was told that connection was simple (ha ha). The only thing that seems to work, and randomly, is audio with no video display in any way on the TV. Any suggestions? Thanks

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only thing that I know is to use AppleTV to mirror your iPad onto the TV.

hooops2001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have same thing but Jailbroken and it works fine...

I Jailbroke my iPAD with Redsnow and then got the CYDIA app DISPLAYOUT by Bigboss and it works great! Hulu plus, Sunday ticket no problem :) Hope this helps...Goodluck!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seadog said:

Mirroring only works with the iPad 2 although there may be a JB app which achieves the same.

The Archangel

Chays

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BillLinda824 said:
Recently upgraded my iPad1 from software version 3.2 to 5.0 and now would like to run video, games, etc through a Sony Bravia television. I purchased an HDMI cable and adapter from the Apple store and was told that connection was simple (ha ha). The only thing that seems to work, and randomly, is audio with no video display in any way on the TV. Any suggestions? Thanks

Welcome to ipf,

Have you jail broken your iPad 1?

I hope you find this forum as informative and addictive as I do!
You will find that there are many members with a great knowledge base, waiting to help you with any issue you might have.

# Don't forget to use the search function, as there is a lot of issues already resolved here.
# If you haven't already, download the user manual for free at: http://support.apple.com/manuals/#ipad
# Also, feel free to have a look at this thread, it gives great tips and tricks for new users: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
# Ensure you take time to familiarize yourself with the forum rules at: http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Now that you are here you will never want to leave, so have the time of your life. :)

Regards,
Chays

Winter_Hill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi ipad enthusiasts

I'm newly joined and have been having a wee look about the forums. I'd like to know what others find the best way to connect ipad 1 to a hd tv. I'd like to stream video (via wifi) from my network attached storage via ipad to hd tv in another room.

I initially thought the digital av cable was the answer but is it any better than the component av cable? Or would I be better served spending a little more cash on apple tv?

As usual with apple kit these cables are rather expensive given that regular "no-name" av cables cost buttons from the supermarket. Unfortunately these aren't the sort of cables that connect to ipads. In addition to the digital av cable I'd need a lengthy hdmi cable so I can control operations from the comfort of my bed. I think with component av I would be up and down between movies. Apple tv would cost more (but relative to the cables not an awful lot more) but I wouldn't be umbillically connected to the tv like a bed-ridden astronaut.

Any and all thoughts and advice gratefully received.

Ps I use Buzz Player app. to view video on ipad via wifi from my NAS. This works with all the video formats I have so far tried (most are avi).

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Winter_Hill said:
Hi ipad enthusiasts

I'm newly joined and have been having a wee look about the forums. I'd like to know what others find the best way to connect ipad 1 to a hd tv. I'd like to stream video (via wifi) from my network attached storage via ipad to hd tv in another room.

I initially thought the digital av cable was the answer but is it any better than the component av cable? Or would I be better served spending a little more cash on apple tv?

As usual with apple kit these cables are rather expensive given that regular "no-name" av cables cost buttons from the supermarket. Unfortunately these aren't the sort of cables that connect to ipads. In addition to the digital av cable I'd need a lengthy hdmi cable so I can control operations from the comfort of my bed. I think with component av I would be up and down between movies. Apple tv would cost more (but relative to the cables not an awful lot more) but I wouldn't be umbillically connected to the tv like a bed-ridden astronaut.

Ps I use Buzz Player app. to view video on ipad via wifi from my NAS. This works with all the video formats I have so far tried (most are avi).

I have been having good luck with my Apple tv in conjunction with AVPlayer HD and also with AZUL. But if you have .avi videos (and maybe some other formats as well?) you will have to convert them with Handbrake or somesuch to stream them.

I went through the same thought process as you and decided just to get the Apple TV. As you said, being tied to the tv with an umbilical cord isn't too thrilling, and high quality cables are too darned expensive---though they are to be had much more cheaply on Amazon.com.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Winter_Hill said:
Hi ipad enthusiasts

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

dldavidld

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Viewing photos from iPad on the tv.

How do you get your photos that are on your iPad 1 over to your apple tv

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dldavidld said:
How do you get your photos that are on your iPad 1 over to your apple tv

You need to go to Photo's or a specific album, touch the "slideshow" button at the top of the screen and this will bring up the Airplay icon, just touch it and it should start playing on your TV.

The Archangel

Davek0974

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, AirPlay, apple tv2 and iTunes is your key here. I have just setup my home on it and it all works great. We have over 1.5tb of media on tap now, it's great. You can control the remote iTunes library with the iPad or the apple remote, very slick.

Most reactions

Latest posts