Connecting iPad to printer

Discussion in 'iPAD Connect' started by Roester, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Roester

Roester
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hello, I'm new here so sorry if this has been discussed. I want to connect my iPad to a wireless printer in my truck. Is there a way to connect directly to a printer without having a router involved? I want to stay away from Bluetooth printers.

2. dhewson777

dhewson777
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    What is your printer's make and model? Does it already print OK in a home environment with wifi?

3. Roester

Roester
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    It is a Brother MFC-J430W and is brand new. i have not tried it on a home network but it is WIFI and Airprint capable.

4. dhewson777

dhewson777
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    This printer is capable of being set-up in what is called Ad-Hoc mode. Check your manual for the instructions on how to do that.

Alternatively, you could set-up a portable wifi network using a Mifi type portable device and have the printer connect to that.

5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Monger

Thanks Received:
    Hi Roester - welcome to the forum! :)

Do you have an iPad yet? Just asking because w/ Wi-Fi & AirPrint compatibility, you could give it a try - and no need to worry about Bluetooth, i.e. not a printer option.

6. Roester

Roester
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I have an iPad (latest one 4?) 3G and WIFI capable. The printer can be set up in ad hoc mode, not sure how to do that with the iPad. Because it is in my truck (mobile office) I really don't want to have to set up a router and WLAN. I looked for ways to set up the iPad in ad hoc mode but could not find a way to do it.

7. dhewson777

dhewson777
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I think the printer should appear in the wifi network list once the printer is set up.

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Monger

Thanks Received:
    Hi Roester - I believe that your main issue is that you DO NOT have a Wi-Fi network in your truck and that you want to print directly from your iPad to your printer - most of the options that I have used print via a Wi-Fi network w/ both printer & iPad on the network - first, let us know if that is your situation and maybe additional and different suggestions can be made - :)

9. dhewson777

dhewson777
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Roester has made it very clear they do not have a wifi set-up in their truck. Is looking for a solution without a router, if possible.

I have recalled seeing discussions re using ad-hoc mode for a direct iPad to printer connection when without a wifi network/router set-up.

10. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Monger

Thanks Received:
    Well, I guess that we agree that w/o a Wi-Fi network, the task needed is not easily accomplished - :( Might need the input of others who may have better experience in this situation that I can claim - sorry that I can't add much more @ the moment - Dave