What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Connecting iPad to printer

Roester

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here so sorry if this has been discussed. I want to connect my iPad to a wireless printer in my truck. Is there a way to connect directly to a printer without having a router involved? I want to stay away from Bluetooth printers.

OP
R

Roester

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is a Brother MFC-J430W and is brand new. i have not tried it on a home network but it is WIFI and Airprint capable.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It is a Brother MFC-J430W and is brand new. i have not tried it on a home network but it is WIFI and Airprint capable.

This printer is capable of being set-up in what is called Ad-Hoc mode. Check your manual for the instructions on how to do that.

Alternatively, you could set-up a portable wifi network using a Mifi type portable device and have the printer connect to that.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hi Roester - welcome to the forum! :)

Do you have an iPad yet? Just asking because w/ Wi-Fi & AirPrint compatibility, you could give it a try - and no need to worry about Bluetooth, i.e. not a printer option.

OP
R

Roester

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I have an iPad (latest one 4?) 3G and WIFI capable. The printer can be set up in ad hoc mode, not sure how to do that with the iPad. Because it is in my truck (mobile office) I really don't want to have to set up a router and WLAN. I looked for ways to set up the iPad in ad hoc mode but could not find a way to do it.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, I have an iPad (latest one 4?) 3G and WIFI capable. The printer can be set up in ad hoc mode, not sure how to do that with the iPad. Because it is in my truck (mobile office) I really don't want to have to set up a router and WLAN. I looked for ways to set up the iPad in ad hoc mode but could not find a way to do it.

I think the printer should appear in the wifi network list once the printer is set up.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I think the printer should appear in the wifi network list once the printer is set up.

Hi Roester - I believe that your main issue is that you DO NOT have a Wi-Fi network in your truck and that you want to print directly from your iPad to your printer - most of the options that I have used print via a Wi-Fi network w/ both printer & iPad on the network - first, let us know if that is your situation and maybe additional and different suggestions can be made - :)

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Roester - I believe that your main issue is that you DO NOT have a Wi-Fi network in your truck and that you want to print directly from your iPad to your printer - most of the options that I have used print via a Wi-Fi network w/ both printer & iPad on the network - first, let us know if that is your situation and maybe additional and different suggestions can be made - :)

Roester has made it very clear they do not have a wifi set-up in their truck. Is looking for a solution without a router, if possible.

I have recalled seeing discussions re using ad-hoc mode for a direct iPad to printer connection when without a wifi network/router set-up.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, I guess that we agree that w/o a Wi-Fi network, the task needed is not easily accomplished - :( Might need the input of others who may have better experience in this situation that I can claim - sorry that I can't add much more @ the moment - Dave

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Started Googling a bit on Ad-hoc connections and here are some thoughts to consider:

- you have to manually connect to the printer each time you want you print by going into the wifi settings on the iPad and choosing the printer as the network. By default, some wifi printers actually turn their wifi radio off after a period of no connectivity. Not sure about the one you have.
- by using Ad-hoc mode, you cannot print straight from a web page because you need to connect the wifi to the printer to print. Not sure if already having the Safari page open helps or not with that.

In summary from my lunchtime google, if you can get your printer set-up Ad-Hoc, select the printer's "network" in your wifi settings on the iPad, it just might work. For reliability though, I'd investigate getting a portable wifi/3G device that can create a wifi network and have both the iPad and the printer connect to that. I think it would work more seamlessly and not take up too much space.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
All one needs is a printer that supports wifi direct that means it is a wifi hot spot and does not require a wifi network. hP has several printers that support this feature. And trust me they just work.
Regards col

Ps some brother printers support this feature.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
R

Roester

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks all, I was unaware of the wifi direct option. I bought an HP printer and it appears that it will work well.

batty505

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here so sorry if this has been discussed. I want to connect my iPad to a wireless printer in my truck. Is there a way to connect directly to a printer without having a router involved? I want to stay away from Bluetooth printers.

If its airplay compatible then you should be able to natively print from your ipad.
Mike

Most reactions