What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Connecting from iPad to network devices

tate16t

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Me again. Is there a way to connect to my network attached Netgear NAS from my iPad3?

Thanks

Walt Cullop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is it you are trying to do?

If you want to use a file management system to move files around you are out of luck. Apple requires all files to go thorugh iTunes or iCloud to get to your device.

OP
T

tate16t

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I just found an option. FileBrowser? Is this one of the better ways to accomplish this?

thespinner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...If you want to use a file management system to move files around you are out of luck. Apple requires all files to go thorugh iTunes or iCloud to get to your device.

Apple certainly does not require all files to go through iTunes or iCloud. There are many apps that allow file transfers to and from network attached storage. I've used Goodreader since it first came out. On first glance it is a PDF reader but it offers so much more and is a great file management app (although the UI takes a bit of getting used to). I connect to my NAS via WEBDAV both at home over local Wi-Fi and over the internet when away form home. Goodreader supports many other formats (AFP, FTP, etc.) and also allows you to get files from Dropbox, even your email - checkout the app store for details. Files can be pulled into Goodreader, then use Open in to open in a different app.

There are other apps that connect to WEBDAV (if your NAS supports this), such as Office2HD.

Interesting the OP mentions FileBrowser - I use that for watching movies directly off my NAS, for this purpose I prefer the interface to Goodreader.

As Walt asks, what are you trying to do specifically?

OP
T

tate16t

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple certainly does not require all files to go through iTunes or iCloud. There are many apps that allow file transfers to and from network attached storage. I've used Goodreader since it first came out. On first glance it is a PDF reader but it offers so much more and is a great file management app (although the UI takes a bit of getting used to). I connect to my NAS via WEBDAV both at home over local Wi-Fi and over the internet when away form home. Goodreader supports many other formats (AFP, FTP, etc.) and also allows you to get files from Dropbox, even your email - checkout the app store for details. Files can be pulled into Goodreader, then use Open in to open in a different app.

There are other apps that connect to WEBDAV (if your NAS supports this), such as Office2HD.

Interesting the OP mentions FileBrowser - I use that for watching movies directly off my NAS, for this purpose I prefer the interface to Goodreader.

As Walt asks, what are you trying to do specifically?

I'm trying to access photos, docs and movies I have stored on my NAS. I think my NAS does support WEDAV, this sounds familiar. I have a Netgear NAS. Google came up with FileBrowser.

Last edited:

Most reactions