What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Connecting an iPad to a PC and another question?

MikeMoss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

First, when I plug my iPad into my PC running Windows 8, I see the iPod in Windows explorer, I can open it view the files, and I can copy and paste to or from it delete files from the iPad etc. just like an external hard drive.
My friend Paul says that he can't do that on his PC running Windows 7, I don't think the version of Windows has anything to do with it but I'm giving the facts so you will know what is going on.

He uses something called the drop box to move things to his computer from his iPad, and has problems doing it, he has an iPad 2, mine is a 3.

Does anyone know why this works differently on our two different setups, why he can't just copy the files from the pad directly to his computer while I can?
He would like to have it work the same as mine.

Second, is there a way to connect a usb memory stick to an iPad?
I know that there is a USB adapter available, if I get one can I plug in a stick and transfer data to it?

Mike

Last edited:

NoNoBadDog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your friend is wrong. Your iPad will show up under my computer, and you can open the DCIM folder to copy pictures in that folder to your PC. In order to synch or move files from other locations you have to use iTunes.

Sent from my iPad 3rd Gen using ipf

drathbun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

First, when I plug my iPad into my PC running Windows 8, I see the iPod in Windows explorer, I can open it view the files, and I can copy and paste to or from it delete files from the iPad etc. just like an external hard drive.
My friend Paul says that he can't do that on his PC running Windows 7, I don't think the version of Windows has anything to do with it but I'm giving the facts so you will know what is going on.

He uses something called the drop box to move things to his computer from his iPad, and has problems doing it, he has an iPad 2, mine is a 3.

Does anyone know why this works differently on our two different setups, why he can't just copy the files from the pad directly to his computer while I can?
He would like to have it work the same as mine.

Second, is there a way to connect a usb memory stick to an iPad?
I know that there is a USB adapter available, if I get one can I plug in a stick and transfer data to it?

Mike

Mike,

You can open your iPad as a device like any other connected to your PC but you can only see the DCIM folder for photos/videos. If your friend is talking about moving documents, spreadsheets etc. then Dropbox IS a good solution; one that I use every day. Any way I can avoid using iTunes is wonderful. iTunes (IMHO) is the worst POS software since Lotus Notes.

I haven't tried this but I've seen some YouTubes where someone has connected a USB flash drive to the iPad with the camera connection kit. The trick is, finding a USB flash drive that doesn't require power from the iPad or the iPad will complain the device is incompatible. The other thing is, even if you get one connected, the only stuff you can transfer are your photos/videos.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts