What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Connecting a ipad3 to a vacuum tube hifi equipment

komkris2000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.komkris2000.webs.com
Hi ...
I am new in this forum. I came from a traditional vacuum tube diy'er world.
Builded our own vacuum tube equipment.
See WELCOME..... - SURFING MUSIC SOUND-WAVES.

I like to connect our new ipad3 into our existing audiophile vacuum tube system.
The current vacuum tube system to connect with consist of
CD Players - Shanling T100 tubed , a tubed Marantz CD4000 , tubed china CDplayer
Line amplifier - DIY , using vintage 112A tubes
End amplifier - DIY , using vintage 2A3 type tubes
speakers - Proac R1S.

I hav recently purchased a PURE i20 ( i-20 - Hi-Fi Quality Dock for iPod/iPhone.) ; with a extended dock cable from dockXtender: Dock Extender Cable for iPad, iPhone and iPod , I may succeed connecting the new ipad .

The Head-Fi forum stated that ipads can be connected to this PURE i20.

Any other input, information as how to , what to watch for , suggestion for better results etc.. is much appreciated.
I am a newbie in this digital world. Always was a analog guy.

Paul

iDuffer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some nice tubes you have there, keep your bit rates high to take full advantage. I use spotify on 'extreme' connected to my system.

I notice the iPad supports FLAC (via app), although I have not tried this myself.

Last edited:

grouchomarx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have a respectable system for analog playback. But you've just opened a huge can of warm with your new iPad. First you must consider the music format before getting your music. Just like in the analog world, the quality varies a great deal. The best is the ripped SACD but takes a huge amount of storage space, followed 96-24 (DVD-A), then FLAC, APE 24-16, and MP3 (the lowest quality but smallest in size). And you need different software on iPad to play it back. But if you connect your iPad directly to your pre-amp, then your iPad will be your weakest link since its built-in OP, whilst fairly descent for a hand-held device, isn't exactly audiophile caliber. To get the best out of your system, you need at least a music server or a high quality D/A convert adapter on your PC (such as Sound Blaster Platinum). You probably can use your iPad as a remote control. But that iPad 3 isn't going to satisfy your golden ears for too long as a musical source.

Most reactions