What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Connecting a dongle to your ipad

clermont

iPF Novice
Reaction score
hubby uses a dongle type to connect to the Internet, is there a connector that you can get to plug into the iPad to connect USB devices such as the dongle

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
hubby uses a dongle type to connect to the Internet, is there a connector that you can get to plug into the iPad to connect USB devices such as the dongle

Hello Clermont - since you are posting in the iPad 2 forum, I assume that is the iDevice under discussion? There is a 30-pin CCK (Camera Connection Kit) that will accept either a SD camera card or a direct USB connection to a digital camera, but if you are talking about connecting an external USB drive for data storage/transfer, that is not a possibility w/ a 'stock' iPad.

NOW, this has come up here innumerable times (and I've been part of many threads discussing the options and the impossibilities), so please tell us (or have your husband join the forum if not already a member), what does he need w/ such a connection? I don't have a crystal ball to predict his needs but there are now many cloud-based and wireless devices that allow file transfer of various types - Dave :)

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I think you mean a 3G/4g dongle provided by ISPs to connect PCs and Macs to the Internet via the cellular network.

If so, you cannot use those dongles with iPads. To get internet, you'll need either a wifi network (connected to the web via a router) or if your iPad has cellular, a SIM card from your cellular provider to connect to the web.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are out and about and out of range of WiFi and don't have an iPhone with hotspot capability to tether to you'll need something like a MiFi device which receives a cellular data signal and converts it to A WiFi signal that the iPad can receive and connect to the Internet. These devices are usually small enough to carry in a pocket and require a cellular data plan.

Last edited:

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you just want to connect a USB memory stick or USB hard drive to your iPad, may I suggest that you have a look at the Hootoo Tripmate Nano, reviewed on this website. After reading the review I splashed out about £19 with Amazon in the UK and have a 16GB memory stick attached, plus I can attach, although not at the same time, a USB (-USB powered) WD 'My Passport' hard drive and a card reader for SD, etc. cards. All connect via the Tripmate Wifi to my iPad (and PCs on my home ethernet link, although the ethernet link is not necessary for general use.)

BTW, I don't think it would work with say a network access dongle, but apart from that it is great. (Also, I have nothing to do with Hootoo; I just needed access to external memory and am really pleased with the device.)

Donka's review is at http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/hootoo-tripmate-nano-review.126098/

Wokiebear

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is a somewhat new device w 128 gs that's out via SanDisk called the Xpand SanDisk. Can connect via a USB port on the computer AND the lightening connection for iGadgets. It accesses on the iPhone/iPad/iPod automatically w the app when u plug it in. I have used many different documents or movies or music with it. Much faster uploading or downloading than even AirStash, no lags on movie watching.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is a somewhat new device w 128 gs that's out via SanDisk called the Xpand SanDisk. Can connect via a USB port on the computer AND the lightening connection for iGadgets. It accesses on the iPhone/iPad/iPod automatically w the app when u plug it in. I have used many different documents or movies or music with it. Much faster uploading or downloading than even AirStash, no lags on movie watching.

Thanks for mention of the Xpand SanDisk - might have come up in another thread, IIRC? I've often mentioned the AirStash (one of the 'first kids on the block', i.e. Wi-Fi, SD cards, and iDevice app) - this device seems to work in a similar fashion, but at the price, I would be curious about your comment of better speed? Now I only use the AirStash w/ my camera card, so not much of an issue for me. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts