What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Connect to a network

saphire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can an IPAD connect on the network so it can share files.
I can see the IPAD when its plugged in but can't share the printer.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You can't share files from a PC in the 'Windows' sense of the word, because the iPad doesn't have a central file system, like a regular PC. But you can send files from your iPad to your PC in a number of ways.

Also, sure, the iPad can print to your printer. If it's AirPrint compatible - see the Apple Website - then you can print directly. If not, you'll need a third party app, such as PrintCentral or PrintNShare, and then you're able to print from your iPad to any printer - either directly via WiFi or via your PC.

Tim

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
saphire said:

You can't file share directly but there are apps which do sync documents, music etc with iTunes and your iPad.

Printing is easily achieved by using Aiprint, PrintNshare apps from the app store.

Best to post make and model of your printer, as you may also need WePrint installed on the PC if your printer is a USB only model

Sent from my iPad using iPF

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
You can't share files from a PC in the 'Windows' sense of the word, because the iPad doesn't have a central file system, like a regular PC. But you can send files from your iPad to your PC in a number of ways.

Also, sure, the iPad can print to your printer. If it's AirPrint compatible - see the Apple Website - then you can print directly. If not, you'll need a third party app, such as PrintCentral or PrintNShare, and then you're able to print from your iPad to any printer - either directly via WiFi or via your PC.

Tim

Sorry Tim typing as you were posting!

OP
saphire

saphire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you all for your quick responce.
I have set up my computer to share the printer through the network, I have a Canon IP6700 I have also set the printer itself in its own menu to WIFI but still can't get it to print. I have been sending everything from my IPAD 2 to my dropbox so I can print things off. It would be great if I could print directly. Most of the airprint software doesn't see my printer although I have only tried the free versions.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
saphire said:
Thank you all for your quick responce.
I have set up my computer to share the printer through the network, I have a Canon IP6700 I have also set the printer itself in its own menu to WIFI but still can't get it to print. I have been sending everything from my IPAD 2 to my dropbox so I can print things off. It would be great if I could print directly. Most of the airprint software doesn't see my printer although I have only tried the free versions.

It's bit hit and miss with printers that actually work with wifi I think I'm right in saying that there are 3 HP models that do, but others here may have more up to date information.

OP
saphire

saphire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry TIM its Canon not Epson.
I have tried Canons printer software in ITunes but it still doesn't see it. I will have a go at trying some of the other IPAD apps. I know they don't cost a lot but I may have to go through a few before I find one that works.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
You need to install a third party application on your computer so it will expose your connected printer as an AirPrint device. Google for it, I just can't remember the name...

VicoPad addict!

OP
saphire

saphire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you all for your help.

I have managed to get it to work wireless.
I have just downloaded newer drivers from canon's website they are 12 months old but newer then what I had. That has worked the IPAD can now see the printer. To test it I have printed off some photo's, Brilliant.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You need to install a third party application on your computer so it will expose your connected printer as an AirPrint device. Google for it, I just can't remember the name...

VicoPad addict!

Airprint Activator for mac or pc. Printopia for mac only, but many more features. These are programs for you computer, and they do not need apps on the iPad.

However the apps on the iPad offer some unique abilities of their own, and can have computer side clients that will let them work with most printers, including non-wireless printers. Tim mentioned the most popular ones.

OP
saphire

saphire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have it working now but don't know I did it.
I have noticed on apple website showing icons for Airprint and Airplay are they downloads or should i already have them on my IPAD 2

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They're already on your iPad2. AirPrint can be activated from within any app that supports in-app printing, such as Apple's Pages, Keynote and Numbers.

Tim

OP
saphire

saphire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you Tim, so they are not visible icons as shown on Apples website. I was looking for the icons on my new IPad and it doesn't have them

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Tim, so they are not visible icons as shown on Apples website. I was looking for the icons on my new IPad and it doesn't have them

No - AirPrint, for example, is a built-in function of the iPad operating system, iOS. There is no separate app or icon.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts