Connect and use an external usb device ?

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by fernan1870, Apr 4, 2012.

1. fernan1870

fernan1870 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi,

Anyone know if exist any way to connect and use an external usb device on New Ipad 3 ?

Thanks in advance !

2. intro2ipad

intro2ipad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    You can connect a camera using the USB camera connection kit. I believe you can use it to connect a variety of other devices (a quick google will return a list no doubt). Won't be able to use anything that needs a high power USB port though, but I have for example successfully used an external USB microphone to record audio on the iPad into the free app WavePad.

• Like Like x 1
  3. fernan1870

fernan1870 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, You're right in this sense :) , I have connect my new Ipad with my electric piano (yamaha clavinova series) using app Garage band (It´s funny), but i would like use a pendrive like usb device massive storage and open files variety like (docs, photos, pictures, etc)

4. drathbun

drathbun iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    As mentioned, you can use the camera connection kit to connect USB devices to your iPad. There is a caveat however; devices that draw too much power will get an error message from the iPad. So some USB flash drives will work, others will not. There is a workaround I've seen on a YouTube where this guy attached a full USB apple keyboard through a powered USB hub and then to the camera connection kit and it worked fine.

Sent from my iPad3 using iPF

5. zaen03

zaen03 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi

You mentioned that you can use a camera connection kit to create an USB interface, but you also mentioned that only some USB stick work, are you aware which USB sticks do work? Would I be able to view a video stored within USB stick, also would large memory UsB stick ie 25GB work?