What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confused....Where are my apps?

Formjeff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey all, I just recently jailbroke my iPad (my first time jailbreaking any device) with sn0wbreeze and everything seemed to go fine. After the iPad came back on I noticed that it did not have any of my previous app store apps installed. It basically looked like a fresh iPad with the exception Cydia installed. Did I miss/skip a step, or do I need to go in and redownlaod all of my old apps? Sorry for the noob question, any halp would be appreciated!

Thanks!!!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey all, I just recently jailbroke my iPad (my first time jailbreaking any device) with sn0wbreeze and everything seemed to go fine. After the iPad came back on I noticed that it did not have any of my previous app store apps installed. It basically looked like a fresh iPad with the exception Cydia installed. Did I miss/skip a step, or do I need to go in and redownlaod all of my old apps? Sorry for the noob question, any halp would be appreciated!

Thanks!!!

We have a brand new jail breaking moderator - who lives in Scotland like me.. he's been doing this work for 20 years - I'm sure he'll be able to help you soon..

Tim

BrownHornet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should just have to Sync with iTunes and preform a restore from a backup or last sync. This will reinstall your apps from iTunes.

OP
F

Formjeff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should just have to Sync with iTunes and preform a restore from a backup or last sync. This will reinstall your apps from iTunes.

Cool, I'll give it a go! I thought that would "delete" the jailbreak. I will try it right now and let you know what happens!! Thanks for the lightning fast responses!!!

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To be clear, the jailbreak did not remove any apps. It was the restore you did first that did. Your apps have to be reinstalled any time you do a full restore. But as stated above a simple iTunes sync will bring them back.

I did not choose to do a full restore to jailbreak. I merely updated to 4.3.1 so all my apps, besides Cydia apps, stayed in place. I used PkgBackup to restore my Cydia apps.

Michael

OP
F

Formjeff

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Cool, I'll give it a go! I thought that would "delete" the jailbreak. I will try it right now and let you know what happens!! Thanks for the lightning fast responses!!!

Done & DONE!! Things look like they are back to where I remember them, in the correct folders and all!! Now time to get my feet wet with the jailbreak!

Thank you for all of the help!!!!

BrownHornet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Formjeff said:
Done & DONE!! Things look like they are back to where I remember them, in the correct folders and all!! Now time to get my feet wet with the jailbreak!

Thank you for all of the help!!!!

Anytime have fun and be cautious! Remember if you jack it up you can always restore and start over.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Formjeff said:

Thanks!!!

See you got lots of good advice in the meantime, but just so you know, sn0wbreeze creates a jailbroken custom firmware with nothing except Cydia installed. Therefore you start with a clean system using this method.

redsn0w on the other hand installs on top of your current firmware allowing you to continue from where you were.

I've just added this info to the jailbreak methods sticky.

Last edited:
OP
F

Formjeff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
See you got lots of good advice in the meantime, but just so you know, sn0wbreeze creates a jailbroken custom firmware with nothing except Cydia installed. Therefore you start with a clean system using this method.

redsn0w on the other hand installs on top of your current firmware allowing you to continue from where you were.

Thanks man!! This is really good to know since now after the iPad JB I'm going to do my iPhone. I will use redsn0w though this time, and hopefully it will save me about 2 hours of restore time!!

Thanks again!!!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
f4780y said:

Thanks man!! This is really good to know since now after the iPad JB I'm going to do my iPhone. I will use redsn0w though this time, and hopefully it will save me about 2 hours of restore time!!

Thanks again!!!

Yeah, there are pros and cons to both, but redsn0w tends to be much faster and easier for most folks unless they need to also update the firmware version. Then sn0wbreeze and pwnage come into their own. Custom firmware is also much more useful for carrier unlocking which is not an issue on the iPad but is obviously important to many people in the iPhone world...

Most reactions

Latest posts