What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confirm 3g

Ludee00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new :)
My question is: is there a way to check the 3 g and make sure it works, without actually getting a plan? I want to use it when I go to Europe, so I don't want to activate it right now.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new :)
My question is: is there a way to check the 3 g and make sure it works, without actually getting a plan? I want to use it when I go to Europe, so I don't want to activate it right now.

It depends where you live. In the UK several service providers will give you a free SIM for the iPad, which you can activate on line. To do that, you use the 3G to go to the service provider's web site (it will only allow you to go there before you've signed up) where you can enter your credit card details. But, you can at least check that the 3G is working OK.

Tim

OP
L

Ludee00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, that's a great idea. But I live in the states. Has anyone tried this here?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, that's a great idea. But I live in the states. Has anyone tried this here?

I think the problem you may face is similar to many Members who visit the US and buy an iPad there. They almost always find that the iPad has to be activated first of all in the US before it will accept a 'foreign' SIM card. The software in the iPad wants to first of all connect to AT&T. So you may have to activate the iPad's 3G in the US - then immediately cancel it (or simply purchase the smallest package they offer). Then you'll have no problems using other SIM cards once you're overseas. If you search the Forum you'll see dozens of Members who have bought iPads in the US and who have done this and a few unfortunate members who did not and now find they cannot use their iPads back in their home country because the iPad *first of all* wants to connect to AT&T.

Tim

HughB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I get this right. I need to activate a plan here (Canada) before I travel? The iPad is not locked like my iPhone? IE I can swap out Sim card for whatever country I'm in.
I wonder if I can swap out and active sim card from Rogers for say a Vodafone in Europe without grief?
Hugh

HughB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad locked or unlocked

If I get this right. I need to activate a plan here (Canada) before I travel? The iPad is not locked like my iPhone? IE I can swap out Sim card for whatever country I'm in.
I wonder if I can swap out and active sim card from Rogers for say a Vodafone in Europe without grief?
Hugh

Perhaps it pays to wait for Rogers CS to answer the phone..... iPads are not locked but iPhones are. Therefore, I can buy a sim card in whichever country I'm travelling in (pay the fee) and I'll have service.
Hugh

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hugh

In the US and Canada iPads are not locked and you can swap out your Roger's SIM card for any card in the country that you're visiting.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts