What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Configuring iPad to ad-hoc mode

rc_loh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I will like to configure two iPad to ad-hoc mode such that the two iPad can communicate with each other without any other devices acting as a router.

It is possible?

Thanks in advance.

Rgds,
Paul

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I will like to configure two iPad to ad-hoc mode such that the two iPad can communicate with each other without any other devices acting as a router.

It is possible?

Thanks in advance.

Rgds,
Paul

While it's certainly possible to configure an iPad to operate in ad-hoc mode I'm wondering exactly what you mean when you say 'two iPads can communicate with each other'. What app would you use to do this? Are you talking audio, video or text communication?

Tim

Reaction score
It could be used to play wifi games together on the move.

There is only one way I know of and that involves jail breaking the device and then using MyWi to create an ad-hoc network. But there might be an easier way to create a network.

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It could be used to play wifi games together on the move.

There is only one way I know of and that involves jail breaking the device and then use MyWi to create an ad-hoc network. But there might be an easier way to create a network.

Ah - yes - as someone who has never played a computer game in their life I forget this application....:D

Tim

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One iPad jailbroken and MyWi installed will allow a hotspot to be created and another iPad to connect. Normally this is to share the JB iPads 3G connection.
I have absolutely no idea if a wifi enabled game would be able to use this connection to play the other person.

OP
R

rc_loh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thank you very much for all your replies.

I do not want to create a WiFi hotspot, I want to create a group of iPads communicating to each other (that is, Mobile Ad Hoc Networks, MANET) such that the iPads can text, share photos, play some word games, etc. with each other.

Does running "MyWiFi" application on all the iPads will create an ad-hoc network for all the iPads?

Thanks in advance.

Rdgs,
Paul

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MyWi has a free 3-day trial - go download it from Cydia and see if it does what you want... Be warned however, it's $20 if you want to buy it (per device).

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
rc_loh said:
Hi,

It is possible?

Thanks in advance.

Rgds,
Paul

Like grayshark said....isn't this what Bluetooth is for?

Most reactions

Latest posts