What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

conecting the ipad to internet via ethernet, or not

keyi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could anyone please help me out? ive done a search and im still a bit confused. this summer we are going on holiday for 28 day and our 11 year old daughter wants to take her ipad with her but unfortunately the room only has ethernet connection but as we all know the ipad doesnt:(
I have been reading that if i buy a router and connect it to the hotels ethernet port i can create a wifi hotspot, is this true? if so can the hotel stop this method? also do i have to buy a certain router or will any do

please go steady with me because im not very tech savvy

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Could anyone please help me out? ive done a search and im still a bit confused. this summer we are going on holiday for 28 day and our 11 year old daughter wants to take her ipad with her but unfortunately the room only has ethernet connection but as we all know the ipad doesnt:(
I have been reading that if i buy a router and connect it to the hotels ethernet port i can create a wifi hotspot, is this true? if so can the hotel stop this method? also do i have to buy a certain router or will any do

Correct, all you have to do is hook a WiFi router up to the Internet cable. Make sure to ask the hotel if they will allow this. Not all hotels want guests modifying the Internet connections.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com

I connect this way very often when I am travelling. For the Hotel it is finally the same - I even doubt they will recognize...
I do not know if any router will do, I had purchased a Travel Router that had cost me something like 20€ - as it is purpose built it is small and easy to carry along, however it does not cover a very big area with its tiny antenna- so do not expect the WiFi signal to be available at the pool if your room is too far away....
At present I do use the router at my office (as we do not have Wifi there) in order to be able to work with my iPad, and I am actually impressed about the signal strength...

☠ stay safe ☠ stay legal ☠

OP
K

keyi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks everyone for the info
i know the hotel doesnt like people plugging anything into the ethernet port to make a hotspot, they have said so! thing is can they do something to stop the router working??
im busy looking for a router now and im looking for something very cheap as i wont use it after the holiday

the link posted above has a refurbed unit for $19.99 (dont know what the p&p would be to the UK)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i know the hotel doesnt like people plugging anything into the ethernet port to make a hotspot, they have said so! thing is can they do something to stop the router working??
im busy looking for a router now and im looking for something very cheap as i wont use it after the holiday

the link posted above has a refurbed unit for $19.99 (dont know what the p&p would be to the UK)

They could cut off the Internet service to your room.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score

As you are in the UK, how about something like this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Link-TL-WR7...GWG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364730674&sr=8-1

As for the hotel not liking it, I thought hotels are supposed to be there to fulfil the customers needs......I'd be telling them that I'll be going somewhere else next time if they can't provide what 90% of other hotels supply to guests these days.

The Archangel

D

dvdcatalyst

plugging the internet cable into a router or a laptop, they will not be able to tell the difference. The reason why hotels often try and discourage the router is because they offer wifi access of their own for a "small fee" of course.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
1) Most hotels would rather sell you wireless than have you bring your own.
2) Most of them charge you a fee just to use the wired ethernet port, unless they are offering this free. The "full service" hotels charge separately you for everything; the smaller ones often include internet access for free, at least in the States.
3) You need a router with a wireless access port. It might be possible to still buy one that doesn't have this. So make sure it says this.
4) If you do this, you need to control who can log in and use your internet access. If you are paying the hotel to turn on the ethernet port, and then you use a wireless access port to expand the network to your wireless devices, then you definitely want to control who can log in. So be sure to assign a decently long password to keep others out.
5) If you are paying to use the port, I don't think you are doing anything wrong to extend it to YOUR wireless devices. After all, you are paying for it.
6) Hotel internet is usually pretty crappy, IME, so I'd be looking for another option. That's why I got a cellular iPad so I would not have to put up with crappy hotel internet.

OP
K

keyi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They could cut off the Internet service to your room.
only if they find out what im doing, but they couldnt could they unless they see the router plugged in

As you are in the UK, how about something like this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Link-TL-WR7...GWG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364730674&sr=8-1

As for the hotel not liking it, I thought hotels are supposed to be there to fulfil the customers needs......I'd be telling them that I'll be going somewhere else next time if they can't provide what 90% of other hotels supply to guests these days.

The Archangel
ill have a look at that link thankyou

plugging the internet cable into a router or a laptop, they will not be able to tell the difference. The reason why hotels often try and discourage the router is because they offer wifi access of their own for a "small fee" of course.

1) Most hotels would rather sell you wireless than have you bring your own.
2) Most of them charge you a fee just to use the wired ethernet port, unless they are offering this free. The "full service" hotels charge separately you for everything; the smaller ones often include internet access for free, at least in the States.
3) You need a router with a wireless access port. It might be possible to still buy one that doesn't have this. So make sure it says this.
4) If you do this, you need to control who can log in and use your internet access. If you are paying the hotel to turn on the ethernet port, and then you use a wireless access port to expand the network to your wireless devices, then you definitely want to control who can log in. So be sure to assign a decently long password to keep others out.
5) If you are paying to use the port, I don't think you are doing anything wrong to extend it to YOUR wireless devices. After all, you are paying for it.
6) Hotel internet is usually pretty crappy, IME, so I'd be looking for another option. That's why I got a cellular iPad so I would not have to put up with crappy hotel internet.
they have wireless in the main lobby reception area but in the rooms its ethernet connection, its all free though

thanks again chaps

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As for the hotel stopping it, I doubt that they would even know that you are doing it but, why not give them a call and explain that it's for your child's iPad.......if they want your custom then they should be accommodating.

In my line of business, that is known as a question one does not ask because one cannot stand the answer. If your intention is to hook up a wifi regardless of permission from the Hotel, you might be better off not asking.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
they have wireless in the main lobby reception area but in the rooms its ethernet connection, its all free though

If they are giving the internet free I don't see why or how it can matter if you bring and use a router. Just be sure to lock it down with a password. Of course, if you ask and they say no, then you probably should abide by their request, though it is not unusual to be told no when someone doesn't really understand the nature of the question. That's why I generally don't ask permission for such things...I just do and if it turns out to be a problem I will just stop.

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
plugging the internet cable into a router or a laptop, they will not be able to tell the difference.

That's not entirely true. Many manufactures have different vendor IDs in the MAC address of their wireless routers vs. their other hardware so it is possible in some cases. It's also possible to easily detect an iPad with basic packet inspection of Http requests. Actually, if they cared it's very easy to detect many wireless clients by just seeing what servers they connect to iotially so they can check for OS, app, and notification updates.

Most reactions