Conditions in Numbers

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by gerherz, Jul 7, 2011.

1. gerherz

gerherz iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is there any way to include functions in conditions?
    i.e: SUMIF(A1:A10, >=DATE(2011,C8,01), B1:B10)

The only way I can make that kind of condition work is by entering it as a string, which is not useful if I want to copy the formula to other cells (cannot keep the reference to other cells inside the condition).

Thanks

2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 1
    I agree this is an iWorks question but I've copied your post to the Help section because most Members look there to assist others.

Tim

3. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,018 / 1
    Ok, I'll take a stab at it. I haven't tested this, because I'm feeling too lazy to create the spreadsheet needed, but here is how I created the formula shown in the attachment.

- Choose the cell for the formula by double tapping, and going into formula mode in the cell editor.

- Tap functions, navigate to SUMIF, tap it. You get the function and three sets of variables; test-value, condition, sum-values

- test-values is already highlighted. If not tap on it to highlight, then tap on the first test-value cell and use the handles to expand the selection. (undo is your friend)

- Tap on condition to select it.

- Choose the less-than-or equal-to condition from the keypad to the left of the number pad. You'll find the extra symbols by tapping on bar below the pad.

- Now tap funcion, navigate to the DATE function and select it.

- Tap each of the new variables in the DATE function and either type in the values or select the cell that holds them.

- Tap the sum-values and tap the first cell then drag the handles to select the cell range. (again, undo is your friend).

Attached Files:

4. gerherz

gerherz iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, before I did exactly as you described but I get a syntax error. Even without the DATE function and just entering a date (not in string format), I get the same sytax error. The only way I can make it work is with a string as a condition.

Is what you posted working for you?

5. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,018 / 1
    Well, like I said, I did not set up enough of a spreadsheet to test how the formula works, but I can enter it without a syntax error.

When you created the fornula did you use >= as you typed it, or the actual condition, which is the the > with a bar under it?