What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Con -Trick App

Status
Not open for further replies.

anonbeep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Weymouth Dorset England where the Sailing Olympics
Someone mentioned the Good Reader App. I had a look and it is listed free. So I downloaded it. Just received an email receipt for £2.99 from iTunes for downloading GoodReader. Went to their website contact and after several attempts when it kept telling me my password is entered wrong when it was not, I finally managed to make contact by phone whereby a automated message told me I would get called in two minutes and so they did but to tell me that I would have to wait 10 minutes. So I sent an email. Ten minutes later I received another call from them telling me to press 1 and then I was told by automated message that I would have to wait at least 10 minutes, now I have just received another call the same. My phone would charge me a fortune for that I have been caught like that before. So

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GoodReader is £2.99.......

image-1508739745.jpg

The Archangel

OP
A

anonbeep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Someone mentioned the Good Reader App. I had a look and it is listed free. So I downloaded it. Just received an email receipt for £2.99 from iTunes for downloading GoodReader. Went to their website contact and after several attempts when it kept telling me my password is entered wrong when it was not, I finally managed to make contact by phone whereby a automated message told me I would get called in two minutes and so they did but to tell me that I would have to wait 10 minutes. So I sent an email. Ten minutes later I received another call from them telling me to press 1 and then I was told by automated message that I would have to wait at least 10 minutes, now I have just received another call the same. My phone would charge me a fortune for that I have been caught like that before. So
Apologies to all. Press wrong button again and sent b4 I finished.

So, what do I do about it. I know it is only £2.99 but that is the con. I believe they know that and make it hassle to get into the site and all that phone call nonsense to. The fact is I did not authorise any buying of that app and that app is still on there site as free.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apologies to all. Press wrong button again and sent b4 I finished. So, what do I do about it. I know it is only £2.99 but that is the con. I believe they know that and make it hassle to get into the site and all that phone call nonsense to. The fact is I did not authorise any buying of that app and that app is still on there site as free.

Check out my post above, GoodReader is not listed as free.

The Archangel

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No Gabriel it is not, it is on there as free, I checked and it is on there now as free, and I double checked b4 I posted. Have a look yourself, beeps

I'm sorry but check the time at the top of the screenshot, I took it just a few minutes ago.

The Archangel

OP
A

anonbeep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sorry but check the time at the top of the screenshot, I took it just a few minutes ago. The Archangel

I know what that says and I saw it myself. Two things 1 I went into the apps app and it said it was a free version, no doubt about it. 2 to charge me they would have to get my card details and I never authorised the use of my card for it. However I have used my card to download music from iTunes and that is how they know my details and that is a con trick.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know what that says and I saw it myself. Two things 1 I went into the apps app and it said it was a free version, no doubt about it. 2 to charge me they would have to get my card details and I never authorised the use of my card for it. However I have used my card to download music from iTunes and that is how they know my details and that is a con trick.

That is how buying stuff here works, when you use your card to buy anything (music, video, apps) from Apple then your card details are available on all Apple's online stores, so if you press the buy button then you are spending real money. There is a free version for "Good for Enterprise" users but GoodReader isn't free.

There is no con involved here at all.

The Archangel

OP
A

anonbeep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is how buying stuff here works, when you use your card to buy anything (music, video, apps) from Apple then your card details are available on all Apple's online stores, so if you press the buy button then you are spending real money. There is a free version for "Good for Enterprise" users but GoodReader isn't free. There is no con involved here at all. The Archangel

I disagree. I never authorised them to take money for the app and to take money they must have authorisation, having previous details does not entitle anyone in any situation to assume authorisation and I can tell u for certain no authority was given by me for that app. I also cannot see it on my apps front page anywhere so it does not even appear to have been downloaded. In the meantime I will see what my bank will have to say on Monday. I know what u r saying and I will take note of what u say but I know what I did and I do not accept what iTunes have done not least of all because I downloaded a lot of free apps and they are all there except that one.beeps

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I disagree. I never authorised them to take money for the app and to take money they must have authorisation, having previous details does not entitle anyone in any situation to assume authorisation and I can tell u for certain no authority was given by me for that app. I also cannot see it on my apps front page anywhere so it does not even appear to have been downloaded. In the meantime I will see what my bank will have to say on Monday. I know what u r saying and I will take note of what u say but I know what I did and I do not accept what iTunes have done not least of all because I downloaded a lot of free apps and they are all there except that one.beeps

First off, swipe through your home screens (left to right) to see if the app is there. Second, if the app isn't there then in any home screen put your finger on the screen and swipe down, in the search bar that appears type in "GoodReader" and see if the app shows up in the results.

As far as not authorising I really do have to disagree, you had to press the buy button then you would have been prompted to insert your Apple ID password to enable the purchase. On top of this, Apple give you safety features if you don't want to make purchases which can be set under "restrictions" in the Settings App. Whilst you maintain that it is a con, we have over 300,000 members here and I don't recall anyone previously making such an accusation.....but of course we do have a good forum search function so you are entitled to prove me wrong.

If you are really set on maintaining that you have been conned then contact Apple and explain what has happened and they may well refund you.

The Archangel

OP
A

anonbeep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Gabriel. I have to go out now cos I have things to do so I will come back to you later when I have been thro all what you hav told me to do and hav a good look at all this
I know u all kno what u r talking about. In the meantime thanks for the advice, beeps

OP
A

anonbeep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First off, swipe through your home screens (left to right) to see if the app is there. Second, if the app isn't there then in any home screen put your finger on the screen and swipe down, in the search bar that appears type in "GoodReader" and see if the app shows up in the results. As far as not authorising I really do have to disagree, you had to press the buy button then you would have been prompted to insert your Apple ID password to enable the purchase. On top of this, Apple give you safety features if you don't want to make purchases which can be set under "restrictions" in the Settings App. Whilst you maintain that it is a con, we have over 300,000 members here and I don't recall anyone previously making such an accusation.....but of course we do have a good forum search function so you are entitled to prove me wrong. If you are really set on maintaining that you have been conned then contact Apple and explain what has happened and they may well refund you. The Archangel

Hi Gabriel. Had a good look at this so here goes. The GoodReader app is not on my iPad. I did the search as u advised and it says not found. I repeat it has not downloaded. With regard to the app and payment for it, see pic/attachment, that says it all as far as I am concerned. That page is from the forum website as u can see and a lot of complaints.

Regarding the app and what I did. You are wrong to say I pressed the buy button, there is no buy button, it actually says agree, splitting hairs, No. Had it said buy I would not hav done so. I just wanted to look at the thing to see what it is like.

The rest of what u say tho is good advice and I appreciate it. I put my details in for purchase last week and now they hav them I will hav to be careful what I do. My next step is to get my details removed, and I've had a good tip about that and then it's vouchers from then on.

But in the meantime the app did not download and I do not hav it, I hav contacted iTunes by email and now I wait on them. Also, hav a look at the 4,000 + complaints on that page. I stand by what I said. Beeps

Attachments

• image-2716864352.jpg
    image-2716864352.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 260

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As soon as you tap the price, there's "Buy":

image-249309830.jpg

image-390399200.jpg

There's no "Agree".

Did you also look in App Store - Purchased? Perhaps the app is there, not yet installed.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Most of this is irrelevant. Ask for you money back. You don't need to provide Apple any more excuse than "something went wrong, and I ended up paying for an app I thought was free."

But, regardless how things went down, and we can debate possible glitches, possible missteps, and how things work all day and get nowhere, here are some simple facts that you should know before deciding that the GoodReader people are cons.

One. They have no control over how the store works. None. They can set a price. After that all processing is done by Apple. There is no way GoodReader could set up a bait and switch intentionally. Maybe, possibly, they had the app on sale and you got caught as they took it off sale. I don't think this is likely. The volume of App Store purchases means that if people were being caught this way it would be hundreds or even thousands, and the complaint would roll in.

Two. GoodReader has been in the App Store almost as long as there has been an App Store. They have a solid reputation and no need to stoop to bait and switch tactics. It would only harm what is a good, long-term business for them. The likely hood that they would, even if the could, play stupid games with the App Store is vanishingly small.

And a half. Any pricing snafu during purchase would be entirely Apples fault; which puts us back at asking Apple for the refund. Though since they take it from the developer's account, it hardly hurts them. They keep their 30% too, so it cost the developer big time if lots of refund requests come in.

My conclusion (for what it is worth) is that whatever happened was an accident. Who or how it was caused is irrelevant at this point. The chances of it being intentional are very small. Machine, man, or murphy; it's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts