What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Completely unacceptable ipad2, complete unacceptable

Status
Not open for further replies.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I Have not had issues with any main websites I visit in fact I estimate that it is at least 60% faster than my iPad 1 was. As another user commented you should reset safari and also reset the iPad you said you tried it on I connect my ipad2 to 3 different networks with out issue including Macdonalds and as a Supermod I am constantly researching and surfing several web sites. I am switching between several apps plus playing intensive games as well. My client data base have some 15 iPad 2 installed and all have commented how much faster the new model is compared to ipad . In every case they have both models. One client has 4 ipad1 and 3 iPad 2 they use you may try another browser like icab to see if it is better for you. I tested that web site you have on your post and mine was instant no scroll time and switch back and forth through links scrolled down no problem at all. It is faster on the iPad 2 than the iPad 1 I tested it on. I have cable wifi at 14mbs speed on Wifi
If you are not satisfied take it back to Apple.

Last edited:

danzerino

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sucks I love that site though. I go on it also a lot on my iPad 2 and never got that problem. Maybe you should replace it. GO HABS GO!!

OP
T

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just reset all my settings in the reset menu, didn't do factory restore. It worked but for how long who knows. I say it'll probably come back. It would be annoying having to constantly restore settings cause I have to reenter all my passwords etc. What would cause it anyways?

And how do you close down open apps? I thought once you hit the home button that program closes no?

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Tapmyapple said:
I just reset all my settings in the reset menu, didn't do factory restore. It worked but for how long who knows. I say it'll probably come back. It would be annoying having to constantly restore settings cause I have to reenter all my passwords etc. What would cause it anyways?

And how do you close down open apps? I thought once you hit the home button that program closes no?

to close an app, double press the home button to open the task bar, press and hold an icon, the icons will then jiggle as it were, they will also have a red x on them too, press the x on the app you wish to close, once done, press the home buttom to finish

it could be that you have too many apps open, since you are not closing them?

danzerino

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You have to keep your finger on one of the apps then you will see like a X and then close them

Ipad007

iPF Noob
Reaction score

most apps support mulitasking now so if u press home button, it doesnt neccessarily close the app out completely. to close out completely, double tap home button to bring up multitasking bar, then X out the apps you want to close from there. you might have to hold down the icon to bring up the x. i cant remember as i have a jailbreak tweak that has the x's already up plus i have remove allmbackground apps tweak. that with one press, it completely clears all my background apps. must be jailbroken for that tweak though.

Kirwin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad2 was doing the same thing as Tapmyapple until...

... I closed down all of my open apps as suggested. All is good now. I guess that's part of the limitation of 512K ram.
  • ;)

most apps support mulitasking now so if u press home button, it doesnt neccessarily close the app out completely. to close out completely, double tap home button to bring up multitasking bar, then X out the apps you want to close from there. you might have to hold down the icon to bring up the x. i cant remember as i have a jailbreak tweak that has the x's already up plus i have remove allmbackground apps tweak. that with one press, it completely clears all my background apps. must be jailbroken for that tweak though.

OP
T

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for the tips everyone! I didnt know what double tapping the home button did, and just assumed that hitting the home button on the ipad just closed the program youre using. Guess i was wrong. Having to double tap the home button really limits the multi taskin.

This is why apple should have gone with min. 1GB ram like the playbook.

Shows right here, look how many apps this guy is running and no lag and the multi tasking is much better.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2f_X3ITYNk]YouTube - Blackberry Playbook Review![/ame]

Last edited:

Escadajr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This "lag" also happens in my iPad 2, no matter the browser (tried with Safari and Mercury) and no matter how many applications there are in the background. It's my first iPad, so I saw this as normal. Isn't it?

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Escadajr said:
This "lag" also happens in my iPad 2, no matter the browser (tried with Safari and Mercury) and no matter how many applications there are in the background. It's my first iPad, so I saw this as normal. Isn't it?

if it is just the browsers, then it could be a slow connection, or congested connection

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Escadajr said:

if it is just the browsers, then it could be a slow connection, or congested connection

It has nothing to do with the connection, as it does it when the page is already finished loading. Its a RAM issue. For some reason iOS doesn't seem to cache the page correctly, probably due to overaggressive memory management due to the small amount of RAM Apple uses in the iPad and iPad2. I have never had this issue on any other device that I have owned. My Android phone does it when the webpage isnt fully loaded, but once the page is completed it smoothly scrolls the entire website without any checker boarding. Its almost as if iOS caches the top 30% of the web page and then when you scroll into the middle 30% it flushes the top 30% from memory, etc, etc, etc. I don't think they need to be this aggressive with memory management.

droid2mac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just tried that site on my iPad 2 using my home wifi. Not getting the same result. It scrolls smooth with no white spaces. I don't have a camera setup to upload video of it, but it is scrolling smooth with no gaps.
What does Apple say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts