1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Completely unacceptable ipad2, complete unacceptable

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by Tapmyapple, Apr 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tapmyapple

Tapmyapple iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is what drives me nuts on the ipad 2 and to be its completely unacceptable. I thought this thing was suppose to be 2x faster with 9x faster graphics? Sounds like rubbish to me apple. Ive tried this on 3 ipads and all are the same and its not my internet connection cause this happens on all 4 wifi networks ivve been on thus far. so im guessing its normal.

As you can see in the video, the webpage is completely loaded, fast scrolling or slow scrolling it doesnt matter. Doesnt matter what site, it happens on all, all the time. For a $700 device, you would think it wouldnt do this. I mean do our computers do it? Maybe ones from 1992 running Pentium 2 CPUs.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o3LbZnaMeU]YouTube - MVI 4027[/ame]
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  2. pphmmr

pphmmr iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    something strange there with your ipad2. Mine ipad2 doesn't do this. after webpage is loaded everything is ok.
  3. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0
    dunno. mine certainly doesnt give 'blank' caching like that. have you tried finding out the problem/solution first before jumping to the conclusion it's crap?
  4. DontUnderstandMyIpad

DontUnderstandMyIpad iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    It depends on the website. If it includes images fast scrolling usually result in visible reloads.

For comparison purposes, could you post the website address you browsed in the video?
  5. NCTurner

NCTurner iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have to agree. The Xoom I had didn't do this, and if it was able to load/scroll as fast as it did, then surely the ipad should be able to do it also. I'm sure others are more familiar with the "why's/how's" as to why Apple set it this way, but it's my understanding they did it so the initial page would load immediately. But, geez, aren't people going to scroll???
  6. Tapmyapple

Tapmyapple iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Im jumping to conclusions? Im pissed off and rightfully so because this is marketing bologne on part of apple. my sisters ipad 1 doesnt do this. Ive tried 3 brand new ipads and every one has done this, no matter what site. Ive tried clearing the cache and internet memory on all of them.

When you pay $700, you would think the device would perform better than a 1991 computer running off 8bit graphics. If I cant fix this, then i will refund this piece of garbage and keep the playbook, which doesnt have this problem what so ever and runs much faster. I have both in my hands right now and the blackberry is seamless for everything.

Proof
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s72rGDUn2uo[/ame]

www.hfboards.com. You need to any site that has a lengthy page on it so a good amount of scrolling is available.
  7. DontUnderstandMyIpad

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    The website doesn't have to reload on mine.

Have you tried restarting either Safari, or the iPad? It definitely shouldn't lag as much as it does on your video.
  8. sjleworthy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0
    well the fact this isn't a common problem means there's an issue for you (obviously). this is unfortunate, especially as your previous devices all do the same. sorry to hear it :(

but the fact it isn't a common problem wide issue and the ipad 1 also doesnt do this says to me you have issues and not the general release has issues :(

those links you posted scroll perfect for me
  9. Tapmyapple

Tapmyapple iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How do you restart safari?

And reset the ipad, you mean as in factory reset? wont i lose everything?
  10. Cfrost

Cfrost iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Perfect for me too.
  11. sjleworthy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0
    you can always run a quick backup to restore from
  12. DontUnderstandMyIpad

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Restart, as in rebooting.

Simply press the Power & Home button for 7 seconds and when the iPad has turned off, press the power button again to start it again.
  13. sjleworthy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0
    have you tried closing down all other apps you have running in background memory? closing down all other web pages that are open in the background? all other stuff completely, other than this page you're trying out?
  14. Tapmyapple

Tapmyapple iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oh ok thanks. Ive rebooted many times before, ill do factory reset then restore to my backup settings. Highly doubt it will work.

A friend of mine confirmed he has this issue as well. He said its crappy safari.

Ive experienced this on 3 brand new ipads. Completely unacceptable quality control on part of Apple.
  15. Ipad007

Ipad007 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i tried your website link on my ipad1 running 4.2.1 jailbroken. with Safari and Icab mobile browser, i had none of the issues you stated or from your vid. the website scrolls perfectly, fast or slow. no blank caching what so ever. it might be something with your device or the firmware version u are running on. did the reset/reboot work for you?
    that blackberry playbook blows away ipad or ipad2 in that video. he tried various sites. all loaded/rendered faster on the playbook. plus on the rendering tests, it could be seen how much smoother, faster, and better the playbook was at rendering and javascipt. ipad still better overall though. i would expect newer devices to outdo the ipad in some departments.
  16. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +432 / 0
    I Have not had issues with any main websites I visit in fact I estimate that it is at least 60% faster than my iPad 1 was. As another user commented you should reset safari and also reset the iPad you said you tried it on I connect my ipad2 to 3 different networks with out issue including Macdonalds and as a Supermod I am constantly researching and surfing several web sites. I am switching between several apps plus playing intensive games as well. My client data base have some 15 iPad 2 installed and all have commented how much faster the new model is compared to ipad . In every case they have both models. One client has 4 ipad1 and 3 iPad 2 they use you may try another browser like icab to see if it is better for you. I tested that web site you have on your post and mine was instant no scroll time and switch back and forth through links scrolled down no problem at all. It is faster on the iPad 2 than the iPad 1 I tested it on. I have cable wifi at 14mbs speed on Wifi
    If you are not satisfied take it back to Apple.
  17. danzerino

danzerino iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sucks I love that site though. I go on it also a lot on my iPad 2 and never got that problem. Maybe you should replace it. GO HABS GO!!
  18. Tapmyapple

Tapmyapple iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just reset all my settings in the reset menu, didn't do factory restore. It worked but for how long who knows. I say it'll probably come back. It would be annoying having to constantly restore settings cause I have to reenter all my passwords etc. What would cause it anyways?

And how do you close down open apps? I thought once you hit the home button that program closes no?
  19. wytey

wytey iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    to close an app, double press the home button to open the task bar, press and hold an icon, the icons will then jiggle as it were, they will also have a red x on them too, press the x on the app you wish to close, once done, press the home buttom to finish

it could be that you have too many apps open, since you are not closing them?
  20. danzerino

danzerino iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You have to keep your finger on one of the apps then you will see like a X and then close them
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.