What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Competition

Tomo1971

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im typing this off an iPad and I have a mac book pro, so don't think I'm anti apple here, I'm not.

I don't understand why apple are bringing so many court cases against Samsung, htc etc for patent issues. It's spoiling the market for consumers.... Ie you and me. If Apple continue to suppress other makers then there will be less incentive for them to develop new and innovative products.

Those in Apple really need to have a word with themselves....the latest seems tat the galaxy tab looks too much like an iPad and it's now pulled off the shelves in the USA. Really?

My nine year old has the tab, yes, it's a touch screen tablet, it's thin, but there it ends. iPad has a physical home button, the tab doesn't.

Get a grip Apple.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's worth remembering that Steve Jobs swore that he would never sit back and watch if anyone attempted to steal his ideas, as Microsoft did with Windows, blatantly copying the original Apple GUI.

Apple continue Jobs' legacy and refuse to allow others to steal Apple's intellectual property. They can't be blamed for their attitude. Once bitten...

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there...I am going to move this to the General Discussions area for you to get more attention.

Thank you!!

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Our patent system has a lot of flaws and needs to be changed, but this is probably not a good case for that. Too many companies try to make look alike or sound alike copies of popular products. The idea is to fool the customer into thinking the are the same. If done to too much an extent, it is fraud. If Apple does not protect their patents, they will lose them. It is a system designed by lawyers for the profit of lawyers. If it was done right, there would be no need for lawyers. They would never allow that to happen.

DevKnowsBest

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Truth. Patents are pretty interesting, friendster held a patent on the friend sytem myspace and facebook used/use. They did not protect it. And we're all happy about that maybe =)

valinrace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I totally agree with you seadog, the patent system needs to be changed has a lot of flaws in it.

OP
T

Tomo1971

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really do think they are restricting competition, which is good for them and their salary but is it good for us, the consumer.

followthesapper

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeh, Apple doesn't like people stealing their ideas....

funny-tablet-truth2.JPG

Last edited:

iDeviceGuru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They are businesses, they do what they can to be the biggest and the best, you wouldn't like it if you made a billion dollar product and then someone tried to copy your idea so that they can make more money, in business you don't care about other companies success, if they go out of business this means more money for us.

The iDevice Guru

iDeviceGuru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
followthesapper said:

'us' (Apple,Microsoft,etc) any company that has a competitor that makes similar products that gives the consumer/customer the option of where to buy from.

The iDevice Guru

parcas1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iDeviceGuru said:
'us' (Apple,Microsoft,etc) any company that has a competitor that makes similar products that gives the consumer/customer the option of where to buy from.

The iDevice Guru

But the 'option' to buy a copy of an original idea from the copying company takes the reward for the innovation away from the innovator. In a capitalist society the Government will take steps to help innovators make money, hence copyright and patent law. 'Bad money drives out good.' If the Law accepts that an item is a copy after due procedures then that is OK by me.
And Apple is taking its fair share of hits, the appeals to the courts are from all sides.

iDeviceGuru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
parcas1 said:
But the 'option' to buy a copy of an original idea from the copying company takes the reward for the innovation away from the innovator. In a capitalist society the Government will take steps to help innovators make money, hence copyright and patent law. 'Bad money drives out good.' If the Law accepts that an item is a copy after due procedures then that is OK by me.
And Apple is taking its fair share of hits, the appeals to the courts are from all sides.

I'm not talking about copied products made by inventors, for example you can buy the same laptop from hundreds of different high street and online shops, at different prices depending on stock. If for example Asda(Part of the Walmart group in the UK) went out of business then Tesco the most popular supermarket in the uk would almost double in sales and customers. I'm not just referring to copying other persons products.

The iDevice Guru

parcas1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iDeviceGuru said:
I'm not talking about copied products made by inventors, for example you can buy the same laptop from hundreds of different high street and online shops, at different prices depending on stock. If for example Asda(Part of the Walmart group in the UK) went out of business then Tesco the most popular supermarket in the uk would almost double in sales and customers. I'm not just referring to copying other persons products.

The iDevice Guru

But the original post to start the thread from Tomo1971 is about Apple stopping other makers copying their ideas, which I was referring to. Your post covers both.

iDeviceGuru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
parcas1 said:
But the original post to start the thread from Tomo1971 is about Apple stopping other makers copying their ideas, which I was referring to. Your post covers both.

Yes...?

The iDevice Guru

Most reactions

Latest posts