Compass Easel?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by DavidNM, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Missouri iPad User

Missouri iPad User
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Compass and TSA

Keeder was 100% correct. San Diego TSA were very interested yesterday, and required inspection out of carrying sleeve, but then were fine with it. Recommended I always take it out for visual inspection in the future.

2. NumbLock

NumbLock
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I saw this at the Apple Store yesterday. How is the build quality? Plastic or metal?

3. newfmp3

newfmp3
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Metal, heavy. Well built...but, it is a flawed design. It is portable, and looks pretty good, but for typing it is not very good as the stand tips over. The legs do not open far enough apart, and the two supports that hold the iPad, while they are covered in rubber, the iPad still slips. A little more stable then the white apple dock.

#13 newfmp3, Oct 21, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  4. tzimisce

tzimisce
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    The Compass has a "fourth leg" for use in typing mode -- [​IMG]

5. epb

epb
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    It looks to me like the posts might interfere with typing. I'll find out next week, I guess - I've got one on order as well. I might offset the cost by selling my Apple case, which I never use, if the Compass works out.

6. tzimisce

tzimisce
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    I don't use a Compass myself (still looking for a stand and undecided), but this is the picture off their website --

[​IMG]

7. epb

epb
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I've got mine now. I haven't seen every iPad stand there is, but this is the best built of those I've seen. It is very solid, like a well-made Leatherman tool, and that seems to have provided the inspiration for how it's packaged - a sturdy display box, a suede-look case, ion a solid mylar box. The Compass provides a sturdy platform for viewing and (in the above config) typing. The lower posts haven't gotten in my way yet, but when typing I'm very aware of them - I keep thinking I'm going to bump them. I'm sure I'll adjust after more than a few hours with it.

8. tzimisce

tzimisce
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    That's good to know. I've been inclining towards the Compass myself, esp with Twelve South's free shipping offer plus I also have a coupon code.