What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

commas inserted without asking for them

willtryit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what am i doing wrong that when i type anything, i invariably find three or four or more commas inserted where i did not insert them. in settings i have everything unselected. how come this happens?
thanks in advance

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You haven't given me enough details to make a good guess.

Are you using the software keyboard when this happens, or a hardware one?
Are the comas randomly distributed, or are they always near the same words or letters?

One thing you can check is Settings > General > Keyboard > Text Replacement and make sure thre are no shortcuts defined that might cause the issue.

Oh, and are you sure they are comas and not periods? If the settings is on, a double space adds a period at the end of the word/sentence.

OP
W

willtryit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You haven't given me enough details to make a good guess.

Are you using the software keyboard when this happens

software(onboard) keyboard

Are the comas randomly distributed, or are they always near the same words or letters?

random

One thing you can check is Settings > General > Keyboard > Text Replacement and make sure thre are no shortcuts defined that might cause the issue.

told you in ioriginal post that everything in 'settings' is unselected. don 't know how i could say it more clearly.

Oh, and are you sure they are comas and not periods? If the settings is on, a double space adds a period at the end of the word/sentence.

commas. settings selections are all set to OFF.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That eliminates pretty much every idea I had.

All I can suggest is that you keep a close eye out when you are typing and see if you can see any indicaton (on screen) of what is happeining, and when. I’ve had auto-correct and spellcheck work on my iPad, even when turned off, so keep an eye on for those anyway.

Also, keep in mind what app(s) you are using, especially if you are typing into a website in a browser. \

Sorry not to be of more help.

OP
W

willtryit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
THANK YOU twerppoet
for your kindness in trying to solve the problem.

just one of those things, i guess. i am now trying an external keyboard and that seems to be working better..just cumbersome to have to have an external keyboard. wish i could solve the problem internally to the pad..
not to worry
thanks again
alice

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
THANK YOU twerppoet
for your kindness in trying to solve the problem.

just one of those things, i guess. i am now trying an external keyboard and that seems to be working better..just cumbersome to have to have an external keyboard. wish i could solve the problem internally to the pad..not to worry..thanks again..alice

Hi Alice - TP has already given his usual excellent advice, so cannot add much - but if the problem is not resolved, please provide the iPad model you are using and the iOS installed; also, have you tried a 'hard resent', i.e. press both the ON-OFF & HOME buttons until the Apple logo appears (may take 10+ secs), then released and allow the device to 're-boot' - let us know. Dave :)

OP
W

willtryit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
newest i pad ( not pro)...iOS 11.2.2

got so fed up. did hard reset but still have problem so now using external keyboard.

thank you
alice

Most reactions