What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Command to list all running apps and processes?

jsherk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From the command line in linux you can type either top or ps and get a list of running processes.

Is there an equivalent for iPad iOS command line?

Thanks

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Double click the home button. All of the active apps are displayed. Hold down any one of them, they will start to jiggle and a circled minus sign will appear in the upper LH corner. Touch the minus sign to close the app. More here.

If you download iStat for the iPad it will give you a detailed look at all of the processes, etc.

Otherwise there are no "command lines" in iOS. Or did I miss your meaning completely?

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use XSysInfo, which displays processes, and also has two levels of memory cleaning to free up unused RAM.

OP
J

jsherk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes there is a command line in iPad. Maybe I mean to say shell (command line is DOS term). I use PuTTY and connect remotely from my PC.

I am looking to find running processes from the shell, so I can use the KILL command to shut them down.

Reaction score
jsherk said:
Ok, I figured out that you can install TOP from Cydia, and then the top command will run from the shell and list all running processes.

Thanks to A3gOwner here:
How to show running apps and processes?

Do you need a specific repo to install top?

A google search for "top Cydia app" wasn't exactly useful in finding that app and Cydia doesn't list it either.

OP
J

jsherk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I opened Cydia from my iPad, tapped SEARCH and then typed "top" and hit enter and it was the first one listed!

I don't know specifically what repo it is associated with, but if the above doesn't work, post back and I will get a list of the repos I have listed on my iPad for you.

Reaction score
jsherk said:
I opened Cydia from my iPad, tapped SEARCH and then typed "top" and hit enter and it was the first one listed!

I don't know specifically what repo it is associated with, but if the above doesn't work, post back and I will get a list of the repos I have listed on my iPad for you.

Top isn't listed anywhere on my Cydia with the following repos:
Apt.media-phone.ch
BigBoss
ModMyi.com
repo666.ultrasn0w.com
Telesporeo Tangelo
ZodTTD&MacCiti

Do you have any additional repos?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Make sure you set your user type to "developer" in Cydia. You don't see any of the advanced packages such as TOP if you are just a plain old "user". Enable "developer" and you will see TOP, it is in Saurik's repo.

Last edited:
OP
J

jsherk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ahh... never thought of that! I have mine set to developer already. My repos are:
BigBoss
ModMyi.com
moyashi repository
repo666.ultrasn0w.com
Telesphoreo Tangelo
ZodTTD & MacCiti

Most reactions

Latest posts