What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coming to IPad from Android

araje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello guys,
I am coming to IPad from android. I had a couple of questions after experimenting a lot on iPad
1. How does one change the font - system font I mean. I read some posts but couldn't get a definitive answer.
2. I don't like the idea of bluth keyboard, but are there any keyboard applications which have great prediction algorithms eg: Swiftkey on android.
3. Is there any way to try out applications and then decide whether to buy it or not? I thought android marketplace was worst giving just 15mins to try out paid apps. But looks like it's even more painful here. Do we have to always go to iTunes and then request a refund? Also is the refund based on someone's decision after review? In android marketplace within first 15mins we get a refund button to simply get a refund.
4. Can you please suggest any good browser apps. The stock one doesn't have tabbed design.

My impression after few days is that this is a very classy device, but the restrictions are too much to put you off especially when you come from android.
Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
I'd suggest icab mobile browser. Some suggest Atomic but I never tried it.
The refund policy is what it is, yes it has to be done thru itunes and it's nothing like Android market for refunds.
I'm not sure on fonts, I think some apps allow I'm app changes but I never found a default one for mine.
The keyboard is the keyboard. No Swift Key or Swype types. I did find a couple of keyboards that you can write stuff, copy it, paste it into another app but no replacement for the stock Apple one. Jail break changes many of the limitations of ios fwiw
Don't mention Flash. It usually ends in a crap storm. If you need Flash based anything get an app called Splashtop to manipulate your computer via your ipad or get a Flash server browser app which some swear by but I never found any that were totally reliable. I ended up with Splashtop to use my desktop as the Flash server

Support Our Troops!!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from this Galaxy

Last edited:

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello guys,
I am coming to IPad from android. I had a couple of questions after experimenting a lot on iPad
1. How does one change the font - system font I mean. I read some posts but couldn't get a definitive answer.
2. I don't like the idea of bluth keyboard, but are there any keyboard applications which have great prediction algorithms eg: Swiftkey on android.
3. Is there any way to try out applications and then decide whether to buy it or not? I thought android marketplace was worst giving just 15mins to try out paid apps. But looks like it's even more painful here. Do we have to always go to iTunes and then request a refund? Also is the refund based on someone's decision after review? In android marketplace within first 15mins we get a refund button to simply get a refund.
4. Can you please suggest any good browser apps. The stock one doesn't have tabbed design.

My impression after few days is that this is a very classy device, but the restrictions are too much to put you off especially when you come from android.
Thanks for your help.

All of the following assumes that you don't "jailbreak" the iPad (roughly equivalent to "rooting" an Android device.

1. I don't know of a way to change the system fonts.

2. Keyboard selection is very limited. In fact, I know of no replacement for the virtual keyboard. That may change a bit with the release of iOS 5 in the fall. The great variety of options available in the Android ecosystem simply isn't available for the iPad. (I use a bluetooth keyboard because I hate ALL virtual keyboards.)

3. No way to try out apps. Apple is very generous in refunding your purchase price, however. I agree that it's a terrible system.

4. There are several browser alternatives, some of which support tabbed browsing at least in a jerry-built fashion. iCab works well, imo. So does Atomic browser and Mercury. YMMV. However, each is based ultimately on Safari and suffers from many of the same limitations.

In short, you're going to find a much more rigid imposition of Apple's philosophy on the iPad than you experienced on an Android device. In return, though, you'll probably find a more consistent interface, fewer lags, and an overall more polished experience. Enjoy what you like about it and learn to live with the rest.

OP
A

araje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your advice.
Let me try out some of the options you suggested.

Sorry, I had one more question: How about email apps? I didn't like the stock one. Tried Inbox2 and it looked great from the screen snapshots, but it's not working at all. doesn't download any emails. Do you have any other suggestions?

Well, entering the tablet world, I preferred iPad over samsung galaxy tab coz I already have a galaxy S phone and secondly the tab doesn't come even half as close to the iPad experience now that I am experiencing it. So yea, totally enjoying my new toy. Next step is to see how I can use it for work as well.

Thanks again for all your help. Please let me know if you have any suggestions for email apps.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your advice.
Let me try out some of the options you suggested.

Sorry, I had one more question: How about email apps? I didn't like the stock one. Tried Inbox2 and it looked great from the screen snapshots, but it's not working at all. doesn't download any emails. Do you have any other suggestions?

Well, entering the tablet world, I preferred iPad over samsung galaxy tab coz I already have a galaxy S phone and secondly the tab doesn't come even half as close to the iPad experience now that I am experiencing it. So yea, totally enjoying my new toy. Next step is to see how I can use it for work as well.

Thanks again for all your help. Please let me know if you have any suggestions for email apps.

Sorry, email is another area where Apple apparently imposes a pretty rigid, limited constraint. Nothing like K-9, much less Mozilla Thunderbird or Eudora, for example.

There does appear to be an app called "Outlook Web Email" that claims to work with Microsoft Exchange. I haven't tried it but I suspect it's simply an app that gives you access to a webmail Outlook client if you have such an email account.

I am able to access my gmail on the iPad but the functionality is very limited. As you've probably found. I actually like the UI on the iPad but it's not worth much beyond reading and responding to recent email. (My gmail account is a repository for email from several providers.) So I just check it when my I'm away from my desk for recent emails.

All in all, it seems pretty obvious that Apple doesn't want to open the gates too far to either Google or Microsoft in the email area. Only likely to increase demand for other apps. ;)

david45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Accessing your email account is definitely a hassle in iPad, but you could get hold Outlook Web Email, which is an app that lets you access your outlook webmail client. About the apps part, I don't think you could try out apps before buying, but what you can do is get hold of some related free apps that give you an idea of how they perform.

David from Edit by Moderator - no links to other Forums or personal websites allowed

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are using gmail, just use Safari and add the link to your home page.

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm also coming from Android. I have an Android phone, but aside from an iPod, I've never had an Apple product. Here's my two cents:

Android is the king of customization. Anyone who goes from Android to Apple who loved the customization might be slightly let down, because unless you Jailbreak, what you see is what you get. But with iOS, I think that's absolutely fine. Apple products look absolutely stunning the way they are. Their OS is flawless, not just in aesthetics but in funtionality. You don't need home replacements like you do on Android to make it look cool. (Sidenote: I went through like 7 Android phones because they all busted; my mom has had ZERO problems with her iPhone.) Besides, I found myself NEVER being satisfied with where I placed apps, what widgets I had on what screen, etc. I like iOS's simplicity, mainly because like I said, their design works just as is. The apps and everything just look better on an iPhone, iTouch, or iPad.

That being said, browse the forums because there are definite alternatives to Safari, I have read.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm also coming from Android. I have an Android phone, but aside from an iPod, I've never had an Apple product. Here's my two cents:

Android is the king of customization. Anyone who goes from Android to Apple who loved the customization might be slightly let down, because unless you Jailbreak, what you see is what you get. But with iOS, I think that's absolutely fine. Apple products look absolutely stunning the way they are. Their OS is flawless, not just in aesthetics but in funtionality. You don't need home replacements like you do on Android to make it look cool. (Sidenote: I went through like 7 Android phones because they all busted; my mom has had ZERO problems with her iPhone.) Besides, I found myself NEVER being satisfied with where I placed apps, what widgets I had on what screen, etc. I like iOS's simplicity, mainly because like I said, their design works just as is. The apps and everything just look better on an iPhone, iTouch, or iPad.

That being said, browse the forums because there are definite alternatives to Safari, I have read.

Different strokes for different folks. I certainly don't find Apple's iOS "flawless." And frankly, I miss the capacity to arrange my screens in something other than a rigid grid. I'd love to have a choice among keyboards. And while a limited number of browsers is available, almost all are simply re-skinned versions of the limited Safari browser Apple provides. Apple has made a very good consumer device with few options other than apps, a well designed if limited interface, and very predictable performance. It doesn't give me the same level of control as an Android device but I understand why Apple has decided to approach its design as it has.

I really don't have the time or inclination to customize still another device in my household. Apple's decisions about most issues (including its very limited version of multi-tasking) are mostly OK with me. I don't need to have multiple windows on 9" screen when I have other systems for serious work. Email support is limited, but again, I have another system where I manage communication.

My iPad is a great gadget. I like it very much. The battery life is excellent. It's very portable. It does what I ask it to do (mostly) without hassle. That's refreshing in a technical gadget. I haven't had the same negative experience you've had with Android devices so that colors my perspective just as your experience colors yours.

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Different strokes for different folks. I certainly don't find Apple's iOS "flawless." And frankly, I miss the capacity to arrange my screens in something other than a rigid grid. I'd love to have a choice among keyboards. And while a limited number of browsers is available, almost all are simply re-skinned versions of the limited Safari browser Apple provides. Apple has made a very good consumer device with few options other than apps, a well designed if limited interface, and very predictable performance. It doesn't give me the same level of control as an Android device but I understand why Apple has decided to approach its design as it has.

I really don't have the time or inclination to customize still another device in my household. Apple's decisions about most issues (including its very limited version of multi-tasking) are mostly OK with me. I don't need to have multiple windows on 9" screen when I have other systems for serious work. Email support is limited, but again, I have another system where I manage communication.

My iPad is a great gadget. I like it very much. The battery life is excellent. It's very portable. It does what I ask it to do (mostly) without hassle. That's refreshing in a technical gadget. I haven't had the same negative experience you've had with Android devices so that colors my perspective just as your experience colors yours.

Well no, certainly it isn't flawless. That's an exaggeration. Honestly, my Android phone came with Swype and I hate it. Even the Android keyboard on my phone isn't as responsive as my mom's iPhone's. But maybe that's just me. No, it certainly doesn't give you the same level of control, but I know that, and I'm okay with that. Like I said, and like you said, Apple's choice with most things is pretty great, I don't feel I need to change anything. I don't mind the grid- I kind of like it.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well no, certainly it isn't flawless. That's an exaggeration. Honestly, my Android phone came with Swype and I hate it. Even the Android keyboard on my phone isn't as responsive as my mom's iPhone's. But maybe that's just me. No, it certainly doesn't give you the same level of control, but I know that, and I'm okay with that. Like I said, and like you said, Apple's choice with most things is pretty great, I don't feel I need to change anything. I don't mind the grid- I kind of like it.

As already noted, "Different strokes...". I was one of the beta testers for Swype on the Droid and I loved it, at least for a phone-size, virtual keyboard entry.

If you think about it, in order to satisfy user requirements a UI can be designed in one of two ways. Either provide a maximum level of customization so everyone can have more or less what they want or look for the "sweet spot" that satisfies the greatest number of users.

There are risks in each approach. Most users aren't professional designers and their choices are often less than optimal. Furthermore, if you're trying to support a UI, individual customization can be a nightmare. On the other hand, of course, a standardized UI must work well in a wide variety of applications and seem "natural" to a very large set of users. Fail on that score and you fail utterly.

Apple puts a lot of effort into the latter strategy and as sales indicate, they do a very good job. I design UI's for a living. So it's not surprising I'd find a highly customizable UI to be preferable in most cases. But I have no quarrel with those who have other priorities in their lives. And as I indicated I wasn't really interested in designing a custom UI for my iPad. I have other priorities in my life, too.

Last edited:
Reaction score

As already noted, "Different strokes...". I was one of the beta testers for Swype on the Droid and I loved it, at least for a phone-size, virtual keyboard entry.
One of my favorite features of Swype on my Tab is the shrink and move keyboard. I loathe typing on anything but the other sliders I have are too large to effectively slide my input.
Different strokes I guess here as well.

Support Our Troops!!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from this Galaxy

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1314035669644.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1314035669644.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 229
  • uploadfromtaptalk1314035687850.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1314035687850.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 221
  • uploadfromtaptalk1314035705623.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1314035705623.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 218
OP
A

araje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I would give any price for apps like swiftkey to come on iPad.I don't think anyone can beat their amazing word predicition.

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I would give any price for apps like swiftkey to come on iPad.I don't think anyone can beat their amazing word predicition.
I hate Swype, but I do like Swift Key. That would be very nice on the iPad, definitely agree.

Most reactions

Latest posts