What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coming from Android to Apple what do I need to know?

OP
Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a projector all the time in my classroom. Another thing that drove me from the Xoom is the total lack of support for real world functioning for me. I need my device to be able to connect to my wireless projector. I found this article How to Use a Wireless Projector With an iPad | eHow.com and I'm wondering if anyone here has attempted to do this and how smoothly it went for them? Is there another/better way to connect wirelessly to a projector?

Edit:
NVM, I found this thread http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-2-forum/24164-can-ipad-2-connect-projector-wirelessly.html once I did a search and found the answer.

Last edited:

NCTurner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cincy,

Glad to see you over here (I posted some on Xoomforums.) I, too, am getting rid of the Xoom and I already bought an IP2. I'm interested in this thread as well, as it's been a long time since I had my original Ipod Touch.

I think at some point the Xoom/Honeycomb will be competitive with Ipads, but I don't think (at least for me), it is there yet. Great hardware, designs, just not mature enough yet. :)

You asked about apps, etc. One thing, if you don't have it yet, the developer YouVersion has an excellent Bible app, with numerous translations, reading guides, etc. It's called "Holy Bible". You can now download for offline use as well, even participate live with other users during services, etc. Pretty slick!

Last edited:
OP
Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey NCTurner, I sold my Xoom on Ebay with BT Keyboard and the case for $700. The way I saw it is if the Xoom was the "Flagship" device for Honeycomb, I wasn't going down with the ship. Plenty of good ideas in the Xoom, not many of them actually work they way they were advertised.

Thanks for the heads up on the YouVersion Bible app, I'm sure it will be one the first that I put on my iPad 2 when it comes in (May 4th is a long wait btw).

OP
Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a projector all the time in my classroom. Another thing that drove me from the Xoom is the total lack of support for real world functioning for me. I need my device to be able to connect to my wireless projector. I found this article How to Use a Wireless Projector With an iPad | eHow.com and I'm wondering if anyone here has attempted to do this and how smoothly it went for them? Is there another/better way to connect wirelessly to a projector?

Edit:
NVM, I found this thread http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-2-forum/24164-can-ipad-2-connect-projector-wirelessly.html once I did a search and found the answer.

I think this should work. Anyone have Bigstream? Bigstream

NCTurner

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Edit:

I think this should work. Anyone have Bigstream? Bigstream

Hmmm, interesting. I like the idea, but they don't say what the resolution is. I am guessing it's composite, as I see the normal red/white/yellow connection. That would be REALLY nice if it would stream HD! Thanks for the link though.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cincybearcatfan, I have a Droid 2 and i love it. Anyone want to make something about it? Good, I'm glad we got that out of the way.:D

But the iPad to me is amazing, I wouldn't even think of going to an Android tablet. I can't offer you any help on the projector you're talking about but I wanted to let you know you're not alone over here. What's amazing is how well you can really get both of them working together. Last night I was texting my brother while we were watching a baseball game with my D2 and talking to people on Gtalk with my iPad.

Sorry if I drug you a bit off topic, I hoe Sweet Poison doesn't smack me with her stick. Enjoy the forum.:)

Reaction score
I have not tried skyfire because I've read it really doesn't work well for Flash.
IPhone apps will often show up about half screen but in the lower right is a 2x button that makes it full screen. YouVersion is an example of one I find runs smoother in my Ipad than my Inc, triple sized screen alone is a big help.
You can authorize up to 5 computers on 1 iTunes account.
Yes you can use an app on more than 1 Ipad.
What I did was set up another windows user on my desktop since my wife and kids have TOTALLY different sync desires than I do. I'm about apps and photos, don't have but 3 songs on my Ipad,they could care less about photos but sync lots of music. Drop box might be what you want for cloud documents. It's compatible with Ipad, Android and Windows

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

Last edited:

thetaman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey I love my Android, ipad, and Zune.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4g

I have an EVO, iPad2, and Zune too! I love them all for different reasons!

Cincybearcatfan, I have got a iPad 2 for similar reasons. I want to be able to watch videos and do things more easily on my iPad that I don't want to do on my Android phone because of the size. Plus, I wanted to try something different and the iPad has had rave reviews. Here's what I've found:

• I can say that I have Skyfire on both my EVO and iPad for Flash viewing. I haven't come across too many problems viewing flash or videos in general.
  • I've found I'm definitely spending more money on apps on my iPad vs my EVO. Sometimes there are no free or even cheap apps available. The Amazon Android App Store on Android hasn't helped either...making the gap bigger. :D
  • I've also found that doing some simple things on Android aren't so easy on iOS. They're may be solutions out there, but I can do lots on my EVO that sometimes I struggle to do on my iPad. For instance, file editing and moving through a File Browser seems to be much easier on my EVO.
  • I find that there are a lot more quality games on iOS compared to Android too.
  • Android has more customization options and I find my self missing the ability to add some simple widgets on homescreens. I don't go crazy with widgets. However, being able to see the weather, time(bigger), and date are some things easily added on Android but not iOS.

I've come to realization that there are certain things that the iPad does well and my EVO does well. Now if I could just get the two to create my perfect "baby"! :D

Last edited:

jrowlings

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Add another Inc lover, new ipad2 owner and fan (for all the reasons previously mentioned plus the glaring absence of a Cisco VPN client on Android), and a PC user to boot. I'd also add I'm from Cincy originally... for what it's worth. Right now I've loaded the pad with so many ways to access my files on the exchange server, I'm still trying to figure out what's best. I have Remote Desktop, Dropbox, Docs2Go, FileBrowser, and AutoCAD WS. Love Dropbox. RDP is a bit clumsy. Docs2Go would be the answer if it synced with my exchange server, I suspect. BTW... Pocket Informant for a calendaring for me. And imalts to track my Single Malts. Finally... I found that I uninstalled a handful of apps from my Inc once I had the pad as they are better on the pad and I just didn't need them to be that mobile. Thanks for this thread by the way.

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cincybearcatfan, I have a Droid 2 and i love it. Anyone want to make something about it? Good, I'm glad we got that out of the way.:D

LOL Bill, I recognize you from the Droid forums ;-)

I have a DroidX, highly modified & there isn't another phone available at this time that I would swap for (the t-bolt looks good, but the lack of HDMI out kills it for me). We have both Droids & iphones at work & I could have either one for free (the screen on the iphone looks tiny to me after using the X since the day it came out).

That being said, I won't buy an Android tablet & am axiously waiting delivery on my ipad 2. I have used an ipad 2 extensively at work & I love the thing. It annoys me that I can't plug an external hard drive into it, but I can work around that.

I already have a leather case/bluetooth keyboard combination for the ipad 2 & I'm going nuts waiting to try it on the ipad 2 (if it ever gets here)

~John

danrivito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Simple answer... It just works.

I'm a recent transplant from Android myself.

It's funny cuz I didn't even realize how glitchy my android devices were until I got my ipad2.

No more force closes... Lags... Hesitation changing screen rotation... Home screen reloads... Etc

The down side is obviously the limited user customization.... But I'll trade that any day for a device that works and has great battery life.

In fact an iphone4 just replaced my last Android device.

Sent from my iPad2 using Forum Runner

akintomide

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While welcoming you to the happy iPad family, I will like you to educate some of us who don't know what Android is all about. You are far ahead of many of us who didn't use any tablet before iPad. Your experience with iPod is worth it. That was the only experience I had before using the iPad.

OP
Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While welcoming you to the happy iPad family, I will like you to educate some of us who don't know what Android is all about. You are far ahead of many of us who didn't use any tablet before iPad. Your experience with iPod is worth it. That was the only experience I had before using the iPad.

Android is a great system if you like freedom. The amount of freedom that it requires to have a GREAT device is not for everyone because it is your responsibility to maintain your own device. If you wait for HTC or Moto to give you what you want, you will wait forever. With daily reading in development forums I was able to pretty much do anything I wanted with my Dinc. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you or anyone has.

Can anyone let me know if there are apps out there that grabs missing album artwork for my music? An app called "Album Art Grabber" works wonderfully for my Xoom and Dinc.It grabs about 90% of my albums art. I've tried using the feature in iTunes, but it only grabs about 30% of my albums art. With Pandora, I don't expect to put a TON of my own music on my iPad, but it would be nice if it's album art were there.

Does Google Chat work on the iPad or do you have to use Facetime? No one in my home has a device that supports Facetime and with the amount that I travel in the summers, I like to see my kids each night before they go to bed. The ability to talk via Google Chat is crucial.

What shortcuts, or hidden functions should I look for on the iPad to make life easier?

Thanks again for all your help!

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I cant speak to album art but google talk (chat) works to a degree. You can use googles web app for it or one of a dozen chat client aggregators.

For the video there are fewer options and most currently built for the iPhone so they run as 2x on the iPad. I've tried Votk, which for being free is passable.

In terms of tips and tricks I think then biggest one is how you arrange your folders. Keep in mind you can put 6 of them on your dock. It's a handy way to group programs. You use frequently.

Most reactions

Latest posts