What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coming from Android to Apple what do I need to know?

madcapjim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love android on my phone as well but the tablets are not there yet. The iPad 2 is so easy to use there really isn't a learning curve.

Rlarson_mn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Get documents to go and DropBox for your iPad. Both are available for your Android phone as well as your windows system. With those two applications I have been able to replace 80% of my usage of my HP 2140 netbook. The other advantage is the very real 10 hour battery life as well as the instant on feature. Generally I can get much of my work done on my iPad and be off of it while my netbook would still be loading it's OS. Also love its portability.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Biggest thing to be mindful of is that your device should synch with one PC, and that you need to manage photos on the PC (or use something other than the photo app to view images).

If you like action games get Rage and Mirror's Edge. For ANY card game get Card Shark... Every solitaire game I've ever played, plus Spades, Hearts, Poker... Blackjack.

Pinball HD... Three pinball tables for five bucks. Best pinball game I've played on any platform.

You're going to be VERY happy with your iPad.

Breitling65

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need to learn more, same as iPad beating any android tablet iPhone is beating any droid-shmoid :) try it and you will see.
My point is that you don't know anything, you are happy with droid than learn something before posting or stay where you are.

What is your problem bretling65? I guess I learned something. However, you really should with.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am only going to say this once. Stay on topic, stop getting personal and simmer down. If anyone noticed, the OP has not returned to this thread.

Last edited:

Hufn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
to the OP :) You will find the biggest change is the fact that you cannot browse the file structures - there doesn't seem to be any. File tranfer on droid is great - just go through a windows browser (or an internal one like Astro or such). Here it seems program specific locations and they do not share with each other consistantly - some are capable of 'open in' some are not.

More of the free software I have seen here has more ads, but I don't know if that is just the impression from the droid software I used or that I could block ads in that and not here ;)

As for gmail - if you want to sync contacts you need to set it up as an exchange account. The built in gmail settings will sync mail, calendar and notes - I found that very odd that it wouldn't do contacts from there. however, adding it as an exchange account will sync mail, contacts and calendar, and will also maintain the push. I forget the gmail settings but doa search and you'll find them.

Good luck :) As I said, it's pretty slick overall...

You need to learn more, same as iPad beating any android tablet iPhone is beating any droid-shmoid :) try it and you will see.
My point is that you don't know anything, you are happy with droid than learn something before posting or stay where you are.

Wow it must be amazing living in your world where you cannot see past your own nose. Again with the insults and telling me to leave. Will wonders never cease? It is absolutely incredible how you know you are so right. I notice you didn't answer the implied questions I left for you - the least of which about your methods on tethering, the most of which on your mental dexterity (which obviously is suspect given how you only respond to those quips that you fathom).

My response to you was only a question of why you are behaving as a spoiled young child, but if you have nothing useful to add to the actual thread, why don'y you go bother some people who are actually bothered by you :cool:

Reaction score
If anyone noticed, the OP has not returned to this thread.
Can't say I blame them. They made the mistake of saying they love their Android,a big no no here. Can't imagine what would have happened had they said they like Flash too

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

OP
Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If anyone noticed, the OP has not returned to this thread.
Can't say I blame them. They made the mistake of saying they love their Android,a big no no here. Can't imagine what would have happened had they said they like Flash too

I hadn't been back b/c I had a crazy busy night last night. Some folks replies are off topic but not enough to keep me from coming and reading and replying to the thread I started. I'm a big boy and saying I love my Dinc on an Apple Forum won't keep me from coming back.

Biggest thing to be mindful of is that your device should synch with one PC, and that you need to manage photos on the PC (or use something other than the photo app to view images).

If you like action games get Rage and Mirror's Edge. For ANY card game get Card Shark... Every solitaire game I've ever played, plus Spades, Hearts, Poker... Blackjack.

Pinball HD... Three pinball tables for five bucks. Best pinball game I've played on any platform.

You're going to be VERY happy with your iPad.

Thanks for letting me know that I need to only sync the iPad with one computer, while I should have known that, I didn't. Probably would have driven me nuts the first time I tried to do so on my laptop and my desktop. Now I have to consolidate all of my media and photos to one computer.

I realize that apps aren't sharable with other users but what if I buy 5 iPads (completely in the realm of reality, one for each of my kids and one for my wife), can I set them all up with the same account and buy apps once and it sync them to all of the iPads or do I have to buy them anew each time for each device? If I remember correctly from my old iPod, if I hooked up someones iPod to my computer and iTunes recognized it, iTunes would erase all that they had on it and place my sync stuff on it. That was OK if they wanted my playlists and music but sucked if they wanted to use my stuff and their stuff too. My wife and kids will be happy with anything that I set up for them, so by me setting up their media and playlists and apps, they will be happy if it is possible.

Thanks for the suggestions on the word processing apps. Is there anything native on the iPad that is a good word processor or do i NEED to buy an app for that? Also, I have EVERY document that I've created in the past 15 years or so uploaded to Google Docs. I had an app on my Xoom that allowed me to work from the cloud with these documents, create new ones and print (printing was a separate app) to a wireless printer. What's the best way to do that now?

Get iPhone4, that would be best to use with ipad2. You will save money on sharing apps and no need of worry about bugs and crashes on Droid, battery life on your phone is pretty bad too. I know because my son own same and he is dreaming about iphone4 already.

Try to keep it OT please. There are TONS of other threads on this forum and countless others for this discussion. I get a day and a half from my Dinc battery with heavy use. How I use my phone is obviously different than how I use a tablet/computer. No need to flame when my intent was not to start one. I have genuine curiosity and I thought telling where I had come from would give a better point of reference when asking for help than getting "blind" help.

As an Inc owner . . . I'd suggest Puffin or iswifter.

If you use shopping apps on your Inc you will find the iPhone versions work very well, just need to tap the 2x button on the lower right for full screen.

Thanks those suggestions do help. I've read up on Puffin and iswifter, how does Skyfire work? I'm not sure what the 2x button is but I'm sure I will figure that out. Thanks again! (from one Dinc owner to the next).

Hufn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there anything native on the iPad that is a good word processor or do i NEED to buy an app for that?

Nothing built in that will allow editing any office docs. There are several free (with ads) and inexpensive (mostly those free ones but without ads) that can do google docs, however, overall they didn't seem very good. I forget the exact names, but do a search on office and you'll find several.

The end results is that there are three that are at the top. The Apple ones, expensive at $10 ea for word, excel and ppt, and not completely compatible formatting wise. I'm not sure if they do google docs.

Docs to go - $10 or $17, but the latter is the only one with google docs. If you've used it on the android - I've used it on everything actually - it is almost exactly the same. I like it. I have the $10 version as I don't need ppt editing or online - I sync with my desktop through wifi

QuickOffice - $15 I think and does google docs. Supposed to be good, but I haven't used.

It was an anoying decision as you can't preview them - there are no free versions to at least browse. However, went with the one I knew and am very happy with it.

OP
Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there anything native on the iPad that is a good word processor or do i NEED to buy an app for that?
Nothing built in that will allow editing any office docs. There are several free (with ads) and inexpensive (mostly those free ones but without ads) that can do google docs, however, overall they didn't seem very good. I forget the exact names, but do a search on office and you'll find several.

The end results is that there are three that are at the top. The Apple ones, expensive at $10 ea for word, excel and ppt, and not completely compatible formatting wise. I'm not sure if they do google docs.

Docs to go - $10 or $17, but the latter is the only one with google docs. If you've used it on the android - I've used it on everything actually - it is almost exactly the same. I like it. I have the $10 version as I don't need ppt editing or online - I sync with my desktop through wifi

QuickOffice - $15 I think and does google docs. Supposed to be good, but I haven't used.

Thanks for the suggestions. I used Docs To Go on the Xoom. I really liked it. I paid $15 for it to use it 1 month. Oh well live and learn. Quick Office worked well too and had it been out in HD when I paid for Docs To Go I'd likely have bought it instead. Both worked well for what I needed. I also don't use ppt editing online. I use it for meetings taking notes and creating letters, worksheets for my students and sermon notes.

Is there a "thanks" button here in this forum? Would like to say "thanks" to those helping out.

Most reactions

Latest posts