What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Collectibles - what do you collect.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a great looking sewing table poisonivy, do you use it for the intended purpose?

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No i haven't used it, I have a Victorian sewing basket for every day use, I will probably fit it out with little sewing tools though, Thimbles ect . Its more for show really and the fact that now it will go on for maybe another hundred year or so.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just amazing the talented people on this forum with such a wide range of interests! It must be very satisfying Poisonivy to restore and collect such nice memorabilia:)
Andrew

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just amazing the talented people on this forum with such a wide range of interests! It must be very satisfying Poisonivy to restore and collect such nice memorabilia:)
Andrew
Thank you Andrew, You hit the nail on the head, It is very satisfying, I just love bringing an antique back to its former glory, I always use antique materials and i am constantly on the look out for antique fabric, braid ect , In this case as i said i used a Victorian dress, The dress was way past its best but now has gone on in another incarnation.....

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another thing Andrew that gave me a kick was when i stripped out all the panels to re-cover them in the very bottom of the table inside was writing, This writing was what the maker of the table had written in there over a hundred years ago, for example in each corner it said Thimble, There is a little thimble holder in each corner, it said Pin box where they went and so on, What gave me a kick was that i was the first to see that since the maker over hundred years ago, Just wonderful.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another thing Andrew that gave me a kick was when i stripped out all the panels to re-cover them in the very bottom of the table inside was writing, This writing was what the maker of the table had written in there over a hundred years ago, for example in each corner it said Thimble, There is a little thimble holder in each corner, it said Pin box where they went and so on, What gave me a kick was that i was the first to see that since the maker over hundred years ago, Just wonderful.
I know what you are saying. Its that direct link that you see sometimes to a more gentler world, where quality and workmanship was usually the norm. You seem to have found that with such "contact" to the maker of the table, and that can be a real pleasure, I reckon. I envy people being so skilful with their hands.:)
Andrew.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know what you are saying. Its that direct link that you see sometimes to a more gentler world, where quality and workmanship was usually the norm. You seem to have found that with such "contact" to the maker of the table, and that can be a real pleasure, I reckon. I envy people being so skilful with their hands.:)
Andrew.
Thank you Andrew, Its wonderful when someone knows just where you're coming from, You're so right, It was a gentler world, A world where nothing was wasted and things were used and loved, I love to think that in another hundred years my table will be enjoyed by someone else and they will wonder who restored it so lovingly.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
While we're on the subject of restoring i collect cairs too, I don't have the room for a lot but this one is my favourite, When i bought it the legs were splayed and the Beadwork needed restoring, The beautiful Gesso frame too need work amongst other things, It took me four or five weeks and was back breaking but so worth it. The first pic is before i worked it.

Attachments

• 149881_1716116429280_1429311203_1818602_660586_n.jpg
    149881_1716116429280_1429311203_1818602_660586_n.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_0089.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_0086.jpg
    IMG_0086.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 282

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh yes i forgot to say, The chair is circa 1850-1870 and underneath on the frame there is a National Trust sticker which means it was once in a stately home, Unfortunately i never found out which one.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you sci, No it doesn't get used, The red wool is intact but shouldn't be rubbed or anything and the beads would fall off if it were sat on, Its just a much loved show piece, I have another chair that is also beautiful, That one was done in wool Plushwork and silk, I could fill page after page after page of the things i collect, I'm not sure if you would call it a passion or an addiction :)

OP
leelai

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Following on from my previous posts, As well collecting antique sewing tools i collect sewing boxes and other sewing furniture (space permitting) I recently bought a dilapidated Victorian sewing table and restored it, All the materials used are Victorian, The fabric was once a Victorian ladies dress circa 1850, Hope you enjoy seeing the before and after pics :) Oh yes also the flowers are Victorian scraps, I took me ages to arrange them for best effect.

While we're on the subject of restoring i collect cairs too, I don't have the room for a lot but this one is my favourite, When i bought it the legs were splayed and the Beadwork needed restoring, The beautiful Gesso frame too need work amongst other things, It took me four or five weeks and was back breaking but so worth it. The first pic is before i worked it.

I love your sewing table Ivy, I've never seen anything like that before! Just a beautiful piece and boy what a lot of work you have done on it. I have 2 old treadle sewing machines that I restored years ago.....they're at my mums as hubby doesn't really take to that type of thing but I love looking at them when I go there.

And what a beautiful chair, my parents restored a lot of chairs when I was young, so I know what's involved, it truly is a labour of love with these old pieces but just so worthwhile when you have such a beautiful piece when it's finished.

Most reactions

Latest posts