Collectibles - what do you collect.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by leelai, May 7, 2014.

1. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223 / 0
    Hi Leelai, In the second photo is a Victorian Chatelaine, The ladies would have worn these at their waists, from left to right there is a Tape measure, A Pin keeper ( minus it's velvet pad) Scissors in their sheath, A Thimble bucket ( no thimble) and last an Aide Memoir completes with little Ivory pages, The third photo shows two Mother of Pearl Thread winders, Ladies had these in their sewing boxes and would have wound their silk thread onto them.
    I will add some more photos of my (still growing ;)) collection for you.
  2. leelai

leelai Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,361 / 0
    Even the name is beautiful - Chatelaine......I did wonder what the last thing on it was - an Aide Memoir....sounds so nice, and to have ivory pages is just so special! What a time they lived in when even the most trivial of items were made so beautifully and with an eye for detail. Just such lovely pieces!

Also wondered what the thread winders were, just love all curios like this and look forward to seeing more! ;)
  3. Poisonivy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223 / 0
    Here are some more photos of my collection-

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Poisonivy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223 / 0
    For some reason i can't edit my photos....The little Pin cushion Elephant is Ivory as are the three next to it, The Pin keeper with the picture on was reverse painted on glass, The Victorians were so clever, The Chemists cabinet dates from around 1900 and is my favourite, The little collection of needle cases are mainly Ivory, The ones shaped like parasols have Stanhopes in the top of the handles, that means when you put it up to your eye there is a tiny photo inside maybe a church or a view of a famous place.
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
  5. Poisonivy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223 / 0
    I so agree about the name Chatelain, Its French and it means Mistress of the Castle, The history of all these things the Victorians used is fascinating, Nothing was wasted, they found a way of recycling everything, Every scrap of fabric, Animal bone ect was used....
  6. leelai

leelai Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,361 / 0
    You have a wonderful collection....love them all....it was certainly a time when people took pride in their work!

All of it is just beautiful.....love those needle cases and fancy having Stanhopes in them....how good is that! Just so much detail!

Next time I see an antique or collectible shop I'm going to look for some (that's if I can drag hubby there). ;)

Thank you Ivy, I've enjoyed all your pics!
  7. Poisonivy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223 / 0
    I'm glad you all enjoyed seeing them, It's nice to get other opinions as not many people understand the interest, I have lots more, its an ongoing thing........ Yes do have a look for some, Here there is always something to find at Antiques fairs and Antiques centres, the only thing that slows me down is price, these kinds of things are expensive, dealers soon cottoned on to the fact that they are much sought after and so prices go sky high, Doesn't stop me too much though :)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. squib

squib iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +780 / 0
  9. ObiJohnKenobi

ObiJohnKenobi iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    I collect Apple iDevices. :)
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Poisonivy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223 / 0
    Following on from my previous posts, As well collecting antique sewing tools i collect sewing boxes and other sewing furniture (space permitting) I recently bought a dilapidated Victorian sewing table and restored it, All the materials used are Victorian, The fabric was once a Victorian ladies dress circa 1850, Hope you enjoy seeing the before and after pics :) Oh yes also the flowers are Victorian scraps, I took me ages to arrange them for best effect.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  11. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,531 / 1
    That's a great looking sewing table poisonivy, do you use it for the intended purpose?
  12. Poisonivy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223 / 0
    No i haven't used it, I have a Victorian sewing basket for every day use, I will probably fit it out with little sewing tools though, Thimbles ect . Its more for show really and the fact that now it will go on for maybe another hundred year or so.
  13. Poisonivy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223 / 0
    Thank you sci :)
  14. The OB

The OB Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +931 / 1
    Just amazing the talented people on this forum with such a wide range of interests! It must be very satisfying Poisonivy to restore and collect such nice memorabilia:)
    Andrew
  15. Poisonivy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223 / 0
    Thank you Andrew, You hit the nail on the head, It is very satisfying, I just love bringing an antique back to its former glory, I always use antique materials and i am constantly on the look out for antique fabric, braid ect , In this case as i said i used a Victorian dress, The dress was way past its best but now has gone on in another incarnation.....
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Poisonivy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223 / 0
    Another thing Andrew that gave me a kick was when i stripped out all the panels to re-cover them in the very bottom of the table inside was writing, This writing was what the maker of the table had written in there over a hundred years ago, for example in each corner it said Thimble, There is a little thimble holder in each corner, it said Pin box where they went and so on, What gave me a kick was that i was the first to see that since the maker over hundred years ago, Just wonderful.
    • Like Like x 3
  17. The OB

The OB Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +931 / 1
    I know what you are saying. Its that direct link that you see sometimes to a more gentler world, where quality and workmanship was usually the norm. You seem to have found that with such "contact" to the maker of the table, and that can be a real pleasure, I reckon. I envy people being so skilful with their hands.:)
    Andrew.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Poisonivy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223 / 0
    Thank you Andrew, Its wonderful when someone knows just where you're coming from, You're so right, It was a gentler world, A world where nothing was wasted and things were used and loved, I love to think that in another hundred years my table will be enjoyed by someone else and they will wonder who restored it so lovingly.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Poisonivy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223 / 0
    While we're on the subject of restoring i collect cairs too, I don't have the room for a lot but this one is my favourite, When i bought it the legs were splayed and the Beadwork needed restoring, The beautiful Gesso frame too need work amongst other things, It took me four or five weeks and was back breaking but so worth it. The first pic is before i worked it.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  20. Poisonivy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223 / 0
    Oh yes i forgot to say, The chair is circa 1850-1870 and underneath on the frame there is a National Trust sticker which means it was once in a stately home, Unfortunately i never found out which one.
    • Like Like x 1