Coastal Georgia - Sea Islands & Savannah

Discussion in 'Travel Stories' started by giradman, Apr 25, 2016.

1. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Susan & I just returned from a 6-night trip to the Georgia Coast - 4 nights on Jekyll Island and the last 2 nights in Savannah - see the initial maps below - pretty much a straight north-south route and about a 6-hr drive (little over 400 miles) vs. a 5-hr drive back from Savannah. The Georgia coast is just 100 miles or so in length w/ Brunswick being the historic mainland town. The main sea islands (also known as the Golden Isles) are St. Simons, Little St. Simons, Sea Island, and Jekyll Island - there are only 4 barrier islands in Georgia that have causeway access, i.e. three of the four just mentioned (Little St. Simons by boat only) and Tybee Island near Savannah - several more pics of the islands including a satellite view.

Jekyll Island is the southern most of the Sea Islands and along w/ St. Simons Island has a long history, some of which I'll cover and illustrate in future posts - quoted below the introduction from the link above (much more in the Wiki article). We stayed at the new Westin Hotel (just celebrated its first year anniversary) - loved the architecture and the decor (part of the lobby shown below). We opted for an oceanfront room and were on the 4th floor - a couple of my pics from the room's balcony; the landscaping is beautiful w/ plenty of varied flora, including a number of different types of palm trees; the shallow dunes line the long pristine beaches; well paved pathways (for bikes & pedestrians) pretty much encircle the entire island.

More to follow - :) Dave

Jekyll_MapDrive1.png Jekyll_CloseupMap2.png Jekyll_TouristMap3.png Jekyll_AerialView4.png Jekyll_HotelWeb5a.png Jekyll_WestinLobby5b.png Jekyll_Hotel6.JPG Jekyll_Hotel7.JPG Jekyll_Hotel8.JPG Jekyll_Path9.JPG

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It looks like you had a wonderful time, I'll be awaiting the follow-up posts.

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    We've stayed on Sea Island several times (at the Cloister which has become VERY pricey), but our first visit to Jekyll Island and an eye-opener regarding the history of the island, as some upcoming posts will clarify. Dave :)

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Jekyll Island - Historic District & Club Hotel - Introduction!

Jekyll Island is not large, about 7+ miles in length & 1.5+ miles across - the east side is along the Atlantic Ocean, while much of the other side is tidal marshland w/ miles of beaches in both locations. The first map below (turned about 90 degrees) shows the location of lodgings, restaurants, walking/bike trails, and other attractions - I've labeled the location of the Westin Hotel and also circled several areas of future interest - the most important being the historic district shown by the second map (next post).

Within the historic district is the Jekyll Island Club Hotel which consists of an older section w/ the turret, plus additions and also some other buildings on the premises that can also be rented. This hotel was a consideration for us, but we choose the more modern and much smaller Westin property, which offers free shuttles to any location on the island. At the Jekyll Island Museum (small but a good introduction), tram tours and/or horse carriage rides tour the historic area w/ a well done narration.

The historic wharf is shown in some of the last images - several restaurants are located there and dolphin boat tours can be taken (a future post) - since this coastal area is tidal marsh land, considerable rises & fall in tide occur which average about 8 ft - my pics below show the wharf in low tide - I was able to also snap an image of a blue heron. Next post will be about the historic district - Dave :)
    Jekyll_MapBig1a.png Jekyll_HistoricMap1b.png Jekyll_ClubHotelWharf3.png Jekyll_ClubHotelPanorama2.png Jekyll_ClubHouse4.JPG Jekyll_ClubHotel_Croquet5.png Jekyll_TramRide7.png JekyllWharf8.JPG Jekyll_Wharf8b.JPG Jekyll_GreatBlueHeron9.JPG

5. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Wonderful scenery! Thanks for showing us this part of Georgia.

6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    If you love live oaks w/ plenty of Spanish moss, then coastal Georgia is the place to come - we saw dozens and dozens of these trees w/ many being hundreds of years old. Dave :)

7. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    This reminded me of one of my altime favorite poems.

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi TP - his name was about to come up - Georgian born Sidney Lanier (first quote his beginning Wiki bio) - the longest cabled bridge in Georgia crosses over to Brunswick (second quote), which is the county seat of Glynn County - sites in the area the inspiration for his famous poem Marshes of Glynn - a couple of pics below of the beautiful bridge named in his honor (others will come up in further posts). Dave :)

Screen Shot 2016-04-25 at 5.58.43 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-04-25 at 5.55.44 PM.png

9. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Jekyll Island Club - 1880s-1942 - Unique History on a Georgia Barrier Island!

The Historic District includes the hotel and other numerous buildings, many of the larger ones described as 'cottages' - in the mid-1880s, a 'private club' was established on Jekyll Island which included many of the wealthiest families of the times, i.e. the 'millionaires' then (now would be the billionaires) - see quote (Wiki link at the end - take a look for details); just immediately below in bold a list of just a handful of the more famous members of this selective club - many had so-called 'cottages' on the island or shared larger buildings (like Sans Souci shown below) - pics show some of these 'winter homes' (January-March was the season).

The images show a number of these buildings, several of which we visited on our tram tour - these really are small mansions despite their limited use for a few months of the year - the historic district is under constant restoration - a number of the structures have been converted to shops. Sans Souci was owned by JP Morgan & William Rockefeller (split in half) - now a number of rental options - a pic of the inside of one; also, near the hotel is Faith Chapel, a popular choice for weddings - often pictures of the newly weds are taken beneath the oldest live oak on the island.

Many famous historic events occurred on Jekyll Island, in part related to the presence of these 'rich occupants' - one example is that the first transatlantic phone call was made here - also, these 'billionaires' of their times had LARGE yachts which landed in the river with the passengers shuttled to the wharf shown previously - just some remaining images of one of the largest 'boats' the Corsair IV belonging to the Morgans - BOY, I'd loved to have been there - enjoy. Dave :)

Crane, Richard (pipes, plumbing, and more)
    Field, Marshall (founder of department stores)
    Gould, Edwin & George (sons of Jay Gould)
    McCormick Jr, Cyrus (son of the reaper inventor)
    Morgan, JP (financier who createdUS Steel Corp.)
    Pulitzer, Joseph (journalist & namesake of the prize)
    Rockefeller, William (co-founder Standard Oil)
    Vanderbilt, Cornelius (shipping & railroads)

Jekyll_HD_Moss1a.png Jekyll_HD_MossCottageB1b.png Jekyll_HD_CraneBack1c.png Jekyll_HD_duBignonCottage2.png Jekyll_HD_RockefellerCottage3.png JekyllIsland_SansSouci4a.png Jekyll_SansSouciRm4b.png Jekyll_HD_FaithChapelOut5a.png Jekyll_HD_FaithChapelIN5b.png Jekyll_HD_PlantationOakB6a.png Jekyll_HD_PlantationOakA6b.png Jekel_CorsairIVPic7a.png Jekel_CorsairIVInside7b.png Jekyll_ATT_Telephone8.png

10. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Do any of the original families still own any of the cottages on the island?