What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Closing apps but they are still open?

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could this be the reason that when I close my Ipad (only using the round button on the glass surface) , after a while, I can hear the sound associated with my email. I was under the impression if I close my Ipad, everything is shut down ! I notice this only after ios5 was installed.
-------------------------------------------
Is it normal ..... Can I modify an option to prevent the Ipad from staying alive after I closed it ?
Thanks for your cooperation

I'm confused. Are you saying that pressing the "close" button on the iPad puts your iPad to sleep or turns it off, altogether? Or are you saying that pressing the button closes your email app? If it's the former I'm surprised since you seem to be saying that the close button works like the sleep switch on the upper right corner of the iPad (with the iPad in portrait mode and the 30 pin connector at the bottom.)

Andy Loba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, I must have use the wrong terms. What I am refering to is the on/off or sleep/wake button not the home button.
Thanks .

jawbraker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
There are several apps that will check your available RAM and other stats for the iPad. I use Systeminfo for iPad (the free version). I'm not sure what the paid version offers.

If you start the app then access the multitask bar you can watch the RAM increase as you close apps. If you have enough apps in the bar, eventually you stop seeing RAM increase. That is because those apps were already automatically removed in order to free up RAM when it started to get low. Apple probably chose to leave the purged apps in the multitask bar so that you can still open them easily. After all, most of them also save their run state, which means they will open where they left off, much like the ones frozen in RAM, only slower.

On the iPad 1, never found more than 5 to 7 apps in RAM. On the iPad 2 I've seen as many as 18. The extra 512MB makes a big difference.

For those that have a JB iPad, you can use SBSettings to free memory and it shows the amount of RAM. I also use a tweak called remove background, but I have noticed lately this does not close all the apps. If I remove with the background tweak and then double click home button, I notice that apps like mail (which seems to stay on) and others are still open.

A.K

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As far as I understood swiping horizontally for app switching gives the most recently used apps. So in that sense the most recently
closed apps are also the most recently used apps...I might be wrong though.

OP
NYHorsewoman

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A.K said:
As far as I understood swiping horizontally for app switching gives the most recently used apps. So in that sense the most recently

Could be. I thought it was for open apps.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You're right.

Most reactions