What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clearing files off of the iPad

tap50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just noticed something with iBooks. I was cleaning up some apps to make some storage room on my iPad and I noticed iBooks took up a lot of room so I deleted the app, but I didn't gain that much room on the iPad. I had to reload iBooks and manually delete the books to regain the storage on my iPad.

This made me wonder how many other apps I've deleted that may have left stuff behind that I should have deleted first before deleting the app.

Is there a way to find out if there are stray files on your iPad and delete them?

Thanks,

Todd

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
you know how to tell how much room an app and its data takes? Under settings, general, usage, it will show all apps and bytes used. It takes a while to load if you have a lot apps. I had ibooks taking up a Gb because of one book. Removed book and got space back.

OP
tap50

tap50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you know how to tell how much room an app and its data takes? Under settings, general, usage, it will show all apps and bytes used. It takes a while to load if you have a lot apps. I had ibooks taking up a Gb because of one book. Removed book and got space back.

I know that. What I'm asking is if I've already removed the app and I wasn't aware that I left files behind, like my iBook example, how do I now find those leftover files and delete them?

Thanks,
Todd

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know that. What I'm asking is if I've already removed the app and I wasn't aware that I left files behind, like my iBook example, how do I now find those leftover files and delete them?

Thanks,
Todd

Unfortunately, on a stock iPad - you can't search the system as you describe. Hopefully, most apps are fully deleting from the iPad after deleting them. However, some may not, as you've seen. Though I wonder if the iBooks "leftovers" would have been deleted once you turned off the iPad or rebooted it. Or, maybe synced it with iTunes...

Regardless, there is no way to look at the internals of an iPad if it's not jail broken. Sorry.

Marilyn

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Seems like a simple answer: since apps typically own their files, delete the files first before deleting the app. It is too easy to delete an app actually, so this feature in iBooks is actually a plus. Apps should protect user files at all costs. If you are unsure if you got all an apps files, trying re-installing the app to see if it claims any files upon opening.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge the storage space on the iPad is not immediately released on deletion of an app. It's possible (probable) the background cleanup routines will eventually release the storage. No idea what the time frame on that would be. Could be seconds or hours, depending on 'stuff I know nothing about'.

To force storage release after deleting an app, try restarting the iPad. That should work.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to add to all this good info.

Some apps, particularly games, upon deletion will then ask you if you would like to remove the files associated with them. Tap 'Remove'. ;)

class clown

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, new to forum, didnt want to start a new thread being a newbie, so hopefully this thread is "on topic" my apologies if its not.

I have "Exceeded" my picture limit on ipadmini and i get the "cannot take photo" message and it says "there is not enough available storage to take a photo. You can manage your storage in settings" and it gives me 2 options, done and settings. If i click done, im not able to get back to the photos to delete some of them and if i go to settings, there doesnt appear to be a way to get back into the photos to delete at least on of them to get "more room"

I've found that i'm not able to actually get to the photo book without deleting an "App". If i delete the app, i get enough room and the mini permits me to go into photos and delete some of them, but other than deleting an app, i'm not able to.

Thanks guys.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all, new to forum, didnt want to start a new thread being a newbie, so hopefully this thread is "on topic" my apologies if its not. I have "Exceeded" my picture limit on ipadmini and i get the "cannot take photo" message and it says "there is not enough available storage to take a photo. You can manage your storage in settings" and it gives me 2 options, done and settings. If i click done, im not able to get back to the photos to delete some of them and if i go to settings, there doesnt appear to be a way to get back into the photos to delete at least on of them to get "more room" I've found that i'm not able to actually get to the photo book without deleting an "App". If i delete the app, i get enough room and the mini permits me to go into photos and delete some of them, but other than deleting an app, i'm not able to. Thanks guys.
Hi, welcome to iPF!

Afaik the iPad only sets limits for photos in Photo Stream and Photo Sharing. Supposedly you get this message because there's no more storage space on your device.

The popup wants to lead you to Settings, because you can delete apps there in General - Usage - Storage, to make more storage available. You can't remove photos from the iPad in the Settings app, though. That has to be done in the Photos app, I think you already know that.

I've read somewhere else, that you need to remove apps or music, before you can delete photos, when the whole storage space is occupied. So this seems to be normal behaviour of your iPad.

If you intend to save some of the photos, think of something where you can save them. Cloud storage, or an external HD, or your computer, e.g. There are quite a few possibilities.

As soon as you deleted photos you don't need any more, you can reinstall the app you've removed before, if you need it.

Last edited:

class clown

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks JA, appreciate the advice and the welcome comment.

I was thinking that there might be a way to remove a photo without deleting the app, but it seems like i'm going to have to get rid of an app and then reinstall it.

Thanks again!

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Could you connect to a PC and don't sync? Instead find the ipad in the file directory. You should see folders and you can access the camera roll that way and copy the photos to your computer to a file folder for keeping or delete them. I know I am able to access the photos on the camera roll (the photos you took with the iPad Mini's camera) that way. I can't remember the folder names, but there are many, they are not the root. I think the photos appear in a folder that resides in a folder. Or maybe even one step further.

Most reactions

Latest posts