What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleaning the back aluminum portion of the iPad 4

VictoriaR85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Howdy!

This is my first post. :)

I am the proud owner of a new iPad 4 with retina display. I elected to go with the black 16GB wireless model. This is my first iPad or tablet. So far, I love it! I figured I'd like it quite a bit, but I truly am enjoying it more than I thought I might.

Anyhow, I am wondering what the best way to clean the back aluminum part of the iPad is. I am extremely careful with all my stuff and wash my hands before I handle my iPad (or any other high-end device). Despite my efforts, I noticed that the aluminum on the back of my iPad has smudges from my fingers. I went online and did some research on cleaning it. I took the advice of the Apple website and got a clean, lint-free cloth (a soft, smooth t-shirt) with just a tiny bit of water and tried cleaning the back portion of the iPad. While it seems that the fingerprints do go away, I noticed the dampness seems to smudge the aluminum further. After a few seconds, I go over it again with the dry portion of the t-shirt. This helps a little bit, but the smudges still remain. So, I'm wondering if this is just the way the aluminum is and if I'll never be able to get it perfect, or if there's a better way to clean it and prevent the smudging? I ordered the Apple Smart Case, which I'll put on it as soon as it comes in.

Thanks in advance!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Cover that back side. Either get a sleeve, a skin, or a case. Once you get a scratch you will feel bad. The back of mine has a skin and it is inside a case. Never needs cleaning, feels better in the hand, and it won't get scratched. A nice gel back might be the way to go if you never take yours out of the house.

As for cleaning...just do the best you can.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ps....I see you ordered the case.....

OP
V

VictoriaR85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! My Smart Case should be here on Thursday. I really do like the feel of the aluminum in my hands, but I'm super picky with getting prints on it. Of course, it's meant to handle them. I just wish there was a more efficient way to clean it that made it looks like new.

throwback8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you'll enjoy the smart case :), I absolutely love mine. I am super, super finicky when it comes to taking care of my electronics and game controllers(my girlfriend loves to make fun of this) as well so I understand where you are coming from. Since the screen is the only exposed part while in my smart case I use a micro-fiber clothe to clean it, and rarely need to get it damp or use any cleaner to have the screen completely looking new again. Glad you're enjoying you're iPad 4, I am loving mine as well!

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A lens cloth (the kind that comes with spectacles) is ideal for cleaning both the screen and the back. You can moisten it slightly if necessary, but make sure not to let any dampness near the apertures.

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Another thing that helps is to place a glass screen protector over the screen. I know that won't help the back though but it will keep your original screen from getting hurt.

Most reactions