What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleaning Micro Fiber Side of Smart Cover?

JerryBrendle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Before 14 people tell me that this subject has been previously discussed, let me say I've researched the issue here and found no credible solution posted.
All I'm trying to find out is, is there any practical way to effectively clean the micro fiber lining material on the iPad Smart Covers. I find that as a result of holding the iPad by the SC for extended periods, skin oils and prespiration contaminated it and leaves a greasy flm on the display. Is there a safe solvent/cloth/technique for eliminating this problem without destroying the leather other side?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, I've not thought about that issue since my iPad is fairly new - but micorfiber is fairly delicate, so I'd suspect a 'careful' option - :)

A little googling brought up up THIS OPTION, i.e. a lint roller - might give it a try? Good luck and please post back if this or another solution works for you - thanks.

OP
J

JerryBrendle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I've not thought about that issue since my iPad is fairly new - but micorfiber is fairly delicate, so I'd suspect a 'careful' option - :)

A little googling brought up up THIS OPTION, i.e. a lint roller - might give it a try? Good luck and please post back if this or another solution works for you - thanks.
The page is blank!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

The page is blank!

Well, works for me when I click on the link - :confused:

Try the one below:

Great Way to Clean Your Smart Cover Microfiber Lining! - MacRumors Forums

OP
J

JerryBrendle

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The page is blank!

Well, works for me when I click on the link - :confused:

Try the one below:

Great Way to Clean Your Smart Cover Microfiber Lining! - MacRumors Forums

Must be some quirk with my browser, I'm using MSN and this happens sometimes!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Must be some quirk with my browser, I'm using MSN and this happens sometimes!

Well, I've attached a 'screen capture' of most of the post in a forum called 'MacRumors' - hope that it shows up well enough to view? Also below is the link w/o using the URL selection - :)

forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1122265&highlight=

Attachments

• LintRoller.JPG
    LintRoller.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 1,076
OP
J

JerryBrendle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks for going to the trouble of doing that. That I'm sure would help with particulate debris but what I'm really trying to deal with is the oily residue that accumulates from skin oils and perspiration from holding the micro fiber surface for long periods such as while gaming and reading. This is what gets on the iPad's display from the cover.

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JerryBrendle said:
Thanks for going to the trouble of doing that. That I'm sure would help with particulate debris but what I'm really trying to deal with is the oily residue that accumulates from skin oils and perspiration from holding the micro fiber surface for long periods such as while gaming and reading. This is what gets on the iPad's display from the cover.

Also from laying it on a dirty kitchen table! I hear ya on this one. Keep checking and report back when you find the solution.

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here are my thoughts. Microfiber is suppose to be one of the easiest fabrics to clean. You could try a damp cloth first. If that doesn't work, maybe a very mild solution of Dawn dish soap. This stuff really cuts grease. Follow it up with the clean damp cloth. Another thought is a dry cleaning solution spot type cleaner available at Ace Hardware. Maybe even some rubbing alcohol might work?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, I was looking around the house for something 'gentle' to start w/ attempting to clean the smart cover, both front and back. Well at our ages, my wife & I use 'flushable' Cottonelle wipes (come in all sorts of offerings, cheap, and quite gentle).

A wipe did a great job on the front w/ little effort, but there are likely other solutions for that 'plastic-like' material. I did try one on the 'microfiber' cover, used a little rubbing in both directions (not too hard), then dried off the surface w/ my hair blower on low setting - much of the dirt & stains were removed but not all. Now, there may be a better option but I would still be wary of damaging the material and leaving a residue of a substance that might remove part of the oleophobic coating on the glass.

Looking forward to other suggestions - I'm amazed that googling cleaning this material brings up mainly responses from uses and not the manufacturers except maybe for furniture. :(

6a00e552792fa2883301156e4e71ac970c-800wi.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts