What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleaning ipad2 surface

ReshadGP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys, i wanted to know is it harmful to clean the touchscreen surface of my ipad with alcohol or perfume?
Thanks

Videographer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys, i wanted to know is it harmful to clean the touchscreen surface of my ipad with alcohol or perfume?
Thanks

I don't know about the alcohol or perfume, but I do know that this works and it works beautifully.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Moshi-99MO033001-Tera-Glove-Black/dp/B003SETV78]Amazon.com: Moshi Tera Glove - Black: Electronics[/ame]

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Although the glass on the iPad is supposedly quite strong and resistant to scratching, there is an oleophobic coating to help prevent fingerprints & smudges - this coating could be damaged w/ strong solvents, window cleaners, etc.

Also excessive liquids could enter the device via the edges of the glass and cause potential damage. I use a slightly dampened (water only) microfiber cloth (the kind used to clean CDs, DVDs, or LCD screens) - cheap & quick; of course any of the commercial products meant to clean computer screens would work fine also. :)

nickstock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have found a cheap and simple answer, I use a glasses (spectical) cleaning kit. It costs about £1.50 and for that you get a little spray bottle of lens cleaner and a anti scratch cloth. I just take care not to spray at the edges or at the home button and then wipe with the cloth. No smudges or smears and lasts well.

Sent from my iPad2

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have found a cheap and simple answer, I use a glasses (spectical) cleaning kit. It costs about £1.50 and for that you get a little spray bottle of lens cleaner and a anti scratch cloth. I just take care not to spray at the edges or at the home button and then wipe with the cloth. No smudges or smears and lasts well.

Sent from my iPad2

I think this is a good idea if you don't go with a damp microfiber cloth. I would not use alcohol or perfumes.

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No alcohol (unless you're using it to install a Zagg cover), no perfume. It won't damage it, per se, but it will diminish the ability of it to fight off fingerprints and smudges for the first leg of its life.

Remember, you have far more germs than your iDevice. Making sure to wash your hands before you eat, after you sneeze, after going to the restroom, etc. is a better protection than a sterile wipe on your device could ever be.

From this article, I like the final paragraph. The most pertinent sentences (only using this small snippet for copyright reasons) are
Linked article said:
Infection is certainly a concern, but since we aren’t even taking this as seriously as the NHS in the UK, we still all walk around with petri-dishes we call white-coats, long sleeve shirts, ties, etc. A sealed non-porous surface such as glass or the aluminum case are pretty easily cleaned.

My advice, don't worry. Keep your normal hygienic routine and when you're sick make sure to wash your hands every time you touch near a mucus membrane (eyes, nose, mouth, privy bits, etc.).

refrainer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i use this one. its all in one with a small case.
microfiber cloth
microfiber brush
lcd cleaning liquid

5864618255_e04e00eb4a.jpg

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No alcohol (unless you're using it to install a Zagg cover), no perfume. It won't damage it, per se, but it will diminish the ability of it to fight off fingerprints and smudges for the first leg of its life.

Remember, you have far more germs than your iDevice. Making sure to wash your hands before you eat, after you sneeze, after going to the restroom, etc. is a better protection than a sterile wipe on your device could ever be.

From this article, I like the final paragraph. The most pertinent sentences (only using this small snippet for copyright reasons) are
Linked article said:
Infection is certainly a concern, but since we aren’t even taking this as seriously as the NHS in the UK, we still all walk around with petri-dishes we call white-coats, long sleeve shirts, ties, etc. A sealed non-porous surface such as glass or the aluminum case are pretty easily cleaned.

My advice, don't worry. Keep your normal hygienic routine and when you're sick make sure to wash your hands every time you touch near a mucus membrane (eyes, nose, mouth, privy bits, etc.).

Excellent post! Very helpful.:)

Most reactions